Daines- Bill to Reform Monument Designation Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

katqanna

Daines Introduces Bill to Reform Monument Designation Process

U.S. SENATE —U.S. Senator Steve Daines today helped introduce the Improved National Monument Designation Process Act, a bill to facilitate greater local input and require state approval before national monuments can be designated on federal lands and waters.

The bill requires, before any national monument can be declared on public land or within the exclusive economic zone, that the following be met:

• Specific authorization by an Act of Congress;
  • Approval by the state legislature, and for marine monuments, approval by each state legislature within 100 miles of the proposed monument; and
  • Certification of compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act.

Meh, it was worth it. We are at the end of places worth AA consideration for environment reasons anyway. Can anyone think of a place that's left, the designation of which would not have engendered the same blow back? Seems like we got what we could while the getting was good. It's not like the rape wasn't coming anyway (unless Trump ends up being an enviro). As to antiquities, let the Congress wear those shoes.

Blow back from overuse of the Antiquities Act.

No, that's just the excuse Republicans always use, Government over reach. It's the same damn one they are using now in their efforts to cut environmental regulations and protections and/or eliminate the EPA, and Transferring Public lands to the States. You call it Government overreach if you want, I won't because I don't believe that's the case. It's simply a philosophy the majority of the GOP adheres to and always has, IMHO.

No, that's just the excuse Republicans always use, Government over reach. It's the same damn one they are using now in their efforts to cut environmental regulations and protections and/or eliminate the EPA, and Transferring Public lands to the States. You call it Government overreach if you want, I won't because I don't believe that's the case. It's simply a philosophy the majority of the GOP adheres to and always has, IMHO.

Not saying it's justified, just calling it as it is. Representative government has dissolved into partisan power struggles with whichever party is the flavor of the month pushing their agenda without bothering to address the concerns of the other side. The Dems overplayed their hand the past 8 years and the power pendulum has swung to the other side of the aisle. I doubt the Republicans are wise enough to avoid doubling down on pushing their agendas through now that they are in power.

Never underestimate the ability of a frustrated electorate to be persuaded to vote against their best interests.

Joe Biden could give his boss the same advice he proffered the Donald....11th hour petulance ain't gonna reconcile the repudiation administered by the psephocracy.....

...but that's none of my business.

Last edited:
Enjoy your public lands while you can.
To me the Daines deal is just another nick in the skin.
It is the same Locals(not) know best.Industry does not need regulation and know best.
There are a few places I can think of that might deserve Wilderness & or NM status,but not now. Not worth it to me.
I do understand the frustration when one rockpile is protected(TOO Late) by a million acres that also includes private land in area. Or they want to grow a Wilderness (Too Late) to right next too or around cabins that have been there for a hundred years.
We are about to get what we did and definetly DID NOT want.

11th hour petulance ain't gonna reconcile the repudiation administered by the psephocracy.....

Nothing will. Hence the 11th hour petulance. He should have been petulant for hours 1 though 10 also, but he wasted our time trying to reconcile with a petulant psephocracy.

Nothing will. Hence the 11th hour petulance. He should have been petulant for hours 1 though 10 also, but he wasted our time trying to reconcile with a petulant psephocracy.

The other side doesn't see things my way so forget about them, they are irrelevant...? End justifies the means.

The petulant psephocracy was elected by democratic process. Calling the Donald winning the presidency a fluke might be accurate but would ignore what happened in the House and Senate.

We tend to have tunnel vision on this forum about public lands since we are all so passionate about them. For most Americans public access concerns, are way down the list of a host of issues they feel Obama and the Democrats crammed down their throats. Now the Republicans have their brief turn at dispensing the medicine. I'm sure there are plenty of them giddy about having the opportunity to express their petulance from the get go.

Like it or hate it, it is what it is.

Yep,
most folks I know do not care much about the issue now and look at me like I'm crazy when I speak on the subject anymore.

It is what it is,and will be.

Not saying it's justified, just calling it as it is. Representative government has dissolved into partisan power struggles with whichever party is the flavor of the month pushing their agenda without bothering to address the concerns of the other side. The Dems overplayed their hand the past 8 years and the power pendulum has swung to the other side of the aisle. I doubt the Republicans are wise enough to avoid doubling down on pushing their agendas through now that they are in power.

Never underestimate the ability of a frustrated electorate to be persuaded to vote against their best interests.

Exactly, nothing the other side does is right. Everything they do is wrong. If they did it, it was wrong. If my side does it, it is right and true.

Sooo much negativity and fear mongering.

It's like listening to conservatives for the last 8 years.

THis isn't blow back from the use of the Antiquities Act, it's blow back because the Act exists. It's been a cherry some have wanted to pluck since it was put in place in 1906. This bill is nothing more than a retread of bills we've seen the last 100+ years.

The excuse will be Bear's Ear & Gold Butte, but the impetus is to make it easier to steal or sell your land. Plain and simple. The same people proposing this are the ones who have blocked movement to pass wilderness bills for decades in Montana, and now want all WSA's released because no action has been taken. They're convinced government is broken, and they're dead set on showing you how they broke it.

Joe Biden could give his boss the same advice he proffered the Donald....11th hour petulance ain't gonna reconcile the repudiation administered by the psephocracy.....

...but that's none of my business.

Amen to that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben,
How can you not tire of sparring with them? I've spent better part of thirty years duking it out.:W: NHY is right, The psephocrasy has spoken - let's see how it all works out. Lemme know when any of the opposing forces come to an agreement. See ya in Helena.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back