MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CWD ---> Humans.

Speaking further on this topic. I am curious where spinal and brain pose as the only aeas that may pass CWD. Seems, based on FWP - they are being cautious due to the "uncertainty" or there is actual research that suggest CWD is present in all portions of the carcass.

Hunters should properly dispose of carcasses. Once an animal with CWD dies, any part of the carcass can transmit the disease for at least two years. Safely disposing of all animal parts in solid waste landfills will help prevent the transmission of CWD.
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/hunting/nr_2873.html

As Buzz mentioned - worth the listen. So much research from various scientists - a certain need for enhanced funding. This podcast is extensive though involved. Captivating discussion.

[video=youtube_share;KLGXlTixotE]https://youtu.be/KLGXlTixotE[/video]

Last edited:
Remember the days when some scientists and governments ignored the warnings and publicly stated the Mad Cow was not transmittable to humans?

Mad Cow...I'm permanently banned from donating blood for having spent more than 90 days in the UK during the 80's. Even though I've never felt mad cowish. Not that the Brits are known for good beef, but they killed millions, if not all, of their cattle during that scare. I don't know more particulars, other than someone apparently found that mad cow was transferable and panic ensued. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but when/if they start changing blood donation rules relative to wild game consumption, you'll know something changed in the US.

Remember the days when some scientists and governments ignored the warnings and publicly stated the Mad Cow was not transmittable to humans?

No one really knows the scientific truth regarding CDW at this point - but on the brightside is that experiments that have now shown how the BSE prion (mad cow) crosses to humans to cause vCJD in humans have been used to show that CDW does not have the same effect. Again, too early for final “truth”, but CDW and BSE are not the same when it comes to human “infection”.

Last edited:
I'm much more concerned about how the agencies are going to respond and try to manage for it, as well as how it will impact wildlife populations.

For me, right now, that's of way higher importance than being transmitted to a human (right up until that happens), then the ball game changes.

I'm over 70, I remember that. Wyoming G&F recommends that animals testing positive for CWD not be consumed.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Dept. follows the recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC). The CDC recommends that humans not consume meat from an animal that tests positive for CWD.

Here is an interesting video from a CWD conference in Texas last fall that has a lot of good CWD information in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAK...D3kI8rn9acia-UjRB1DJdxZYEtuC_kPgXCLfxi66YtcBk

ClearCreek

Montana FWP
For meat processors.
What to expect

You may start seeing deer, elk, or moose arrive at your shop with a special yellow ID tag, reading “MTFWP CWD TEST.” This tag indicates that the animal has been sampled for CWD by FWP. Test results will be delivered to hunters within three weeks of sampling.

If an animal tests positive for CWD, the hunter will be advised not to consume the meat based on recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Although there are no known cases of humans contracting CWD, health officials are advising caution. If the positive animal was processed at a commercial facility, we will work with Montana Dept. of Public Health & Human Services to notify the processor of the positive test and work with the processor to determine whether the animal was processed in a batch with other animals. Any hunter that received meat that was processed as part of a CWD-positive batch will be contacted and advised not to consume their meat. Thus, it helps us and hunters if there are good records available about which animals were processed together. In other CWD-positive states, processors have stopped batch processing to help avoid affecting a large number of hunters should a CWD positive animal be discovered.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/diseasesAndResearch/diseases/chronicWastingDisease/management.html

They need to work on time frames a lot shorter than 3 weeks to identify whether game is CWD positive or negative. That is a long time to remain unprocessed by self or a professional processor.

$$$ - all about the $. Funding is a necessity.

I'm much more concerned about how the agencies are going to respond and try to manage for it, as well as how it will impact wildlife populations.

For me, right now, that's of way higher importance than being transmitted to a human (right up until that happens), then the ball game changes.

+1

Given all the other challenges impacting populations these days, particularly mule deer, I worry very much about this. Despite what some folks think about mule deer hunting today, for many of us who weren’t around for the 70’s or 80’s I believe right now may be the best we’ll ever see it for mule deer at least. I hope I’m wrong.

Sytes, in reference to a previous post, yes there are a number of studies that have detected CWD prions in numerous tissues (including muscle) in infected animals. The highest concentrations of prions however are typically in central nervous system tissues. They are also the parts most likely to be transported and then dumped, hence often being singled out in transport restrictions.

Here is a rather depressing map of CWD by counties. It is current as of January 2019.

cwd-map.jpg

It comes from this article.
https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/occurrence.html

Obviously, it will be everywhere soon.

I know the disease has been around for 50 years. Just look at the spread the past 20 years, In another 15 years it will be just about everywhere. Currently no CWD in G & H. It certainly appears looking at the map that most of the areas that historically had the best MD hunting and now have CWD the deer populations are way below target. CWD IMO has to be one of the biggest factors in declining populations.

Back