Caribou Gear Tarp

Crispi Boot question

huntingman121

My wife has been asking, what do you want for Christmas. My old Danners are getting pretty worn. What would be a good all around boot for whitetail bow hunting, mountain grouse, and pheasant hunting in Montana. Any suggestions

We do have a SCHEELS near us now and I saw these in a flyer. Would they be worth checking out-

I love my Crispis. I have the Nevadas non-insulated. Schnees, Kenetrek, Whites, Low and possibly othersalso have boots with similar design. If able to try on go with what fits best. I got my crispis for 20% off a few years ago for Black Friday from Black Ovis. Had I played my cards better I could have gotten close to 40% off as Campfire had Black Ovis gift cards for like 20% off the week before so if I would have bought gift cards and then used those on the site with their promo I could have gotten the boots for pretty “cheap.” Just an fyi not sure if they do that every year or not.

The summits are water resistant at best so if you want dry feet I’d look a different route. I did use the crispi water proofing spray on them and it seemed to help. They’ve been a great boot for early season bow hunting when moisture isn’t much of a concern. The tread on them looks great after a few years of use. Comfortable boot, but not one I grab when I know it’s going to be rainy, snowy, or heavy dew mornings.

I purchased the Crispi Idaho boot a few years ago. They have been a great boot for both big game and bird hunting.

Previously I had worn Danner Grouse boots for several pairs of boots. I like the Crispi boots more.

I have been putting a pair of Crispi Briksdahls through a lot of abuse for four hunting seasons now and they are still going strong. (Couple hundred miles when I include summer pack training) I wish the toe box was a little roomier, but so far these are the only boot my feet like. I have tried Kenetreks, Zamberlains and even the Crispi West River but so far my feet were by far the happiest in the Briksdahls.
And yes, like any leather boot, they will start to get wet after a while. You have to take care of them. I apply mink oil before every season and that takes care of most moisture issues that are not directly related to foot perspiration.

BTW, I just saw that Scheels has a sale on the West River's which are a Scheels exclusive. They are very roomy in the toe box and were very comfortable when I tried them. I actually bought a pair and tried them for 3 days to see how they really felt. I am lucky to live below a county park that has a small ski hill and after a few trips up and down I found out they just weren't quite right for my feet. Nothing against the boot at all, just not for me. They were however, extremely comfortable outside of going up the 45 degree slope with a pack on. The Scheels rep explained that they had a 100% satisfaction guarantee and that I could return the boot within 30 days for any reason... and they did without question even after I told them I had worn them outside. Was very impressed with that.

I apply mink oil before every season and that takes care of most moisture issues that are not directly related to foot perspiration.
Mink oil is about the last thing I’d put on Crispis.

Crispi’s Cream is what I use on mine. Works well…no issues. When I called and asked about using some Sno Seal, the rep was pretty adamant about not using anything but their own cream (maybe he was just being a salesman, maybe not).

If you have a better option I'd love to hear it. That mink oil does wear off pretty quick sometimes.
Crispi boot cream, Nikwax, Grangers, Sno Seal, Obenaufs are all options I would choose before mink oil. Mink oil softens the leather and takes away the support it is intended to provide. Not sure it’s Gore Tex compatible either.

Crispi’s Cream is what I use on mine. Works well…no issues. When I called and asked about using some Sno Seal, the rep was pretty adamant about not using anything but their own cream (maybe he was just being a salesman, maybe not).
If you want warranty service, this is good advice. From what I’ve heard on their warranty, I’d use what you want.

Crispi nevada,nikwax, boot gators and darn tough socks. Never had a real blister and never had soaked feet when using the gators.

That’s a low bar to clear.

They served my needs for quite a few years.

I decided in the end that that their rather narrow last along with the steel toed boots required at work were the cause of my ingrown toenails. Something was...it's great not to be managing them anymore.

If you want warranty service, this is good advice. From what I’ve heard on their warranty, I’d use what you want.
I had bad luck with the Crispi warranty.
Crispy Thor cloth eyelet broke and they had the cobber fix with cloth like the original
instead of a beefier metal eyelet the cobbler wanted to use.
Crispi_Thor_Boots.jpg
The other problem I had with the Crispy Thor was wet feet crossing streams
as the gortex bootie was only 2 inches high on that model.

I would also recommend a look at Zamberlan boots. They are of the highest quality and made in Italy. It seems the better boots are like Alpha optics, expensive, but worth the money.

I had a warranty issue with a pair of Zamberlan boots that my right foot got damp when walking in really wet grass. The boots were several years old, out of production, yet they warranted them and sent me a new pair, 2 pair of socks and waterproofing spray next day air, at no cost to me...

I don't own any, but would if they fit my feet better. I tried their Guide model boots, Kennetreks, Schnees and Lowa's. I liked the Crispi's the best. Well padded, comfortable, well made. Unfortunately, I was having some heel slippage issues, so went a boot that fit me better.

I own a pair of those Summits and I love them. As mentioned by someone else, they aren't completely waterproof.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back