Yeti GOBOX Collection

Boot Buying Dilemma

ajlewisdvm

I’m looking at getting a new pair of boots for this upcoming season. I have been wearing Crispi Thor GTX for the last year and have had some issues with these. Here’s my DILEMMA. I’m a flat-lander living in Louisiana...there’s no good boot stores here. Some options in the Dallas area but not a wide range of options. What do you guys recommend as I’d like to get fit for a good set of boots especially with the cost in them. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I picked up a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes a week ago. Have about 5 miles on them already, and absolutely love them. Ordered my girlfriend a pair as well now for christmas! Boots are built off of the metal foot measure instrument. They run very true to the size. I'll bet a store can order them in for you to try on.

I’m looking at getting a new pair of boots for this upcoming season. I have been wearing Crispi Thor GTX for the last year and have had some issues with these. Here’s my DILEMMA. I’m a flat-lander living in Louisiana...there’s no good boot stores here. Some options in the Dallas area but not a wide range of options. What do you guys recommend as I’d like to get fit for a good set of boots especially with the cost in them. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Kennetrek's are 20% off right now

The Kenetreks are great and that price is hard to beat, but don't be afraid to get creative with customizing the fit. When I first tried them on the high arch footbed hurt my foot, but I switched to their cushion footbed and it fits me much better. Was still getting some heel slip on the mountain so added some gel heel cushions and they've fit great ever since. Schnee's are also comparable, usually cheaper than Kenetrek but not at 20% off, but their customer service is outstanding, swapped sizes for me even after I took them on a hunt, no questions asked. Both companies offer free shipping and no sales tax, so not so bad if you want to send back for another model. I got Kenetreks used for under $200 and was happy with that approach, knowing I could get my money back on them if I didn't like them.

The Kenetreks are great and that price is hard to beat, but don't be afraid to get creative with customizing the fit. When I first tried them on the high arch footbed hurt my foot, but I switched to their cushion footbed and it fits me much better. Was still getting some heel slip on the mountain so added some gel heel cushions and they've fit great ever since. Schnee's are also comparable, usually cheaper than Kenetrek but not at 20% off, but their customer service is outstanding, swapped sizes for me even after I took them on a hunt, no questions asked. Both companies offer free shipping and no sales tax, so not so bad if you want to send back for another model. I got Kenetreks used for under $200 and was happy with that approach, knowing I could get my money back on them if I didn't like them.
Thanks for the feedback on the Kenetreks! I assume you have the Mountain Extremes

Kenetrek posted a bunch of used boots on ebay. Most are a really good deal. Or go the new route. As far as fit, they are leather so they'll form to your feet after wearing for a bit. There's no pain that can't be fixed with a different lacing technique. I had a bit of heel slip but with a different lacing technique I got rid of that issue pretty quickly! There's lots of YouTube videos to help with this!

Kenetrek posted a bunch of used boots on ebay. Most are a really good deal. Or go the new route. As far as fit, they are leather so they'll form to your feet after wearing for a bit. There's no pain that can't be fixed with a different lacing technique. I had a bit of heel slip but with a different lacing technique I got rid of that issue pretty quickly! There's lots of YouTube videos to help with this!
Yeah, forgot to mention I use the heel lock lacing, seems the best for me of what I've tried. They just kick out a bit at the bottom of the heel and my heel doesn't fill that space, so the gel cushions make it a snug fit that seems to be the trick for me. After breaking them in for about 6 months now I no longer need the heel cushions, just had to get the heel cup molded to my foot.

Last edited:
I also do the REI thing. There are stores scattered throughout the places I tend to hunt and hike, so it makes things convenient. I have a short, fat foot and I really like the Salomon Quests 4D. They're pretty cheap, and get the job done for me during summer and mild fall conditions. My only concern with them is longevity. You get what you pay for, which is why so many people purchase the Kenetreks and Crispis's- they're a solid boot that'll last

This is absolutely not true. If they don’t fit your foot, they’ll tear up your feet regarding how you lace them. You can accommodate some variance in foot type with lacing technique, particularly as a boot wears in, but you can’t overcome a poor or incorrect fit.

This is absolutely not true. If they don’t fit your foot, they’ll tear up your feet regarding how you lace them. You can accommodate some variance in foot type with lacing technique, particularly as a boot wears in, but you can’t overcome a poor or incorrect fit.
My experience as well. Feet are just too different.

I got a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes off of E- bay and they fit my feet great.

Any good manufacturers will work with you. I bought a pair of kenetreks. First pair didn’t fit sent them back they sent another pair that fit. I hate them very uncomfortable. Next pair I try will be Schners, crispis, or lathrop and sons. Don’t feel obligated to drink the kenetrek cool aid that flows so freely here.

Each brand fits differently & can even vary between styles. Like others have said, order a good selection online and keep what fits ya the best. Campsaver.com has Lowa, Zamberlan, Crispi, Hanwag, Kenetrek, Scarpa etc and often have coupon deals. Be sure to get GOOD socks and wear those when fitting. Wear them around the house, go up and down stairs etc paying attention for slippage or pressure spots. There are many boot lacing techniques that can make a difference, look those up and try them while fitting. I also like the Superfeet Hunting insoles, be sure to fit with any insole too as that can change the fit. Boots are designed to perform so specifically these days, identify what your want from a boot and then select the best fitting one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back