Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Crappy weather tents (room to move)

MThuntr

After spending several hunts in my Seek Outside BackCountry Shelter (similar to the Redcliff), I've decided that maybe it's time to get a much bigger hot tent where I have room for 2-3 people and have room for sitting even if it's just on cots. Last weekend with my woodstove, supply of wood, and gear I didn't want completely frozen meant this 4 man tent quickly became a 1 man tent with wasted space too small to actually sit on a chair. Also with partial sharp angles using the guy wires (necessary to get enough room) moisture started to drip onto my gear. Spending a couple hours sitting on the ground or hunched over on a tote made me miserable and doing without room for another person to commiserate sucked.

I'd love to buy a camper but I don't have a spot for storage nor can I always get it where I want to use it. This is for truck camping so weight isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. If possible, I'd like to take it on a raft (I run a 14' NRS) down an easy river.

Talk me into your setup especially if it's a freestanding tent (ie doesn't fully rely on stake tension to keep it standing). Tell me the pros and the cons, material used, where it's made, number of people it will sleep, number of people needed to set it up, etc.

Realistically the main answer will be wall tent but I know there are others. So don't be shy about recommending even the odd stuff.

Last edited:
It does not meet your criteria of being a freestanding tent, but the Cabelas Alaknak 12x12 did well down to about 5 degrees. Plenty of room for Schaaf & I. Could have shoe-horned a third in there fairly easily.

View attachment 159923
This is my choice currently. I think it beats most wall tents on weight, pitching time and effort at the cost of condensation management and maybe heat retention. All tents will have trade offs. It is just about what you are willing to sacrifice. Right now since I own one it is the "one to beat". If I had to buy one next year I'd look closely at a Relite Walled classic wall tent.

You couldn't drive the extra 45 minutes and borrow this....? You did say to recommend odd stuff.

Attachments

• 20200421_183101.jpg
    20200421_183101.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
+1 for Kodiak Canvas though not freestanding. Easy setup for 1, not too heavy, and a tough tent. Check out the older Cabelas Outfitter Instinct tent with stove jack already installed.

I bought a 14X16 wall tent, from the Wall Tent company, and am very happy with it. Has a sewn in stove jack and worked very well for us last year in snow and freezing rain conditions in Montana. Able to dry clothes and had plenty of room for three of us, all on cots, and all our gear. Could have squeezed two more in easily.
Sorry about pic, limited to just a stove shot...…...

Attachments

• tent.PNG
    tent.PNG
    568.8 KB · Views: 37
If taking something in your raft is a strong consideration though guessing its not your top factor - look to minimize bulk. I did a handful of float hunts with my 14' raft in AK. Even when pairing down and minimizing gear (to fit into a C206 plane) space in a 14' raft always runs out quickly. Payload weight was never a big concern (unless your doing something really shallow and bony) but big bulky items just never fit the equation.

No, the canvas weighs 66 pounds. I use a tarp for the floor, not a fan of tents that come with a permanent floor.

Agreed no need for a floor, would be more weight and more to clean. I usually tarp the back half of my 12x14 and leave the front near the door as bare dirt.

I can set mine up solo (WITHOUT THE TARP) in less than an hour, although help is always preferred.antelope2014-20.jpg

I was in a Kodiak canvas tent this past weekend. I own a cimmaron and my buddy owns a redcliff, great for packing in. But for truck camping this Kodiak worked pretty dang well for three of us with cots. I think it was the 10x10. We used a buddy heater in the morning and evenings and just had warm enough bags during the night. We sat on the cots on each end and the one in the middle just took out during dinner ect at night. 10X14 would be a little nicer for space. We talked about how nice it would have been to have one cook and one sleep tent.

Have you thought about the Seekoutside courthouse?

For truck camping go with minimum 12x14 wall tent with 5 foot walls. Use a internal frame and make sure you have the stove jack. Use a size of wood stove that will keep you warm in -0 weather with a longer burn time. With a internal frame you can set it up yourself without a problem. You can add a tarp over the tent for added weather protection.

Back