CPW Commission updating 80/20 allocation

Why is this a bad thing? It seems like one state finally doesn’t have their head up their rear over who funds their states wildlife. Oak loves nonresident dollars pumping money into his raffles for wildlife but if it means more money for wildlife at the cost of his draw odds he throws a fit? What is it more money for wildlife or better draw odds for oak?
Says a guy that lives in a strict 90/10 state.

saw the same notice for this in my inbox the other day. thanks for the heads up and extra info Oak.

i think i'm gonna go ahead and use the word bullshit in my e-mail to the commission.

and like i've said before, i'm still planning an e-mail blast to legislators in hopes of getting the commissions wrist slapped and get this right once and for all.

Why is this a bad thing? It seems like one state finally doesn’t have their head up their rear over who funds their states wildlife. Oak loves nonresident dollars pumping money into his raffles for wildlife but if it means more money for wildlife at the cost of his draw odds he throws a fit? What is it more money for wildlife or better draw odds for oak?
Yep, forgive me for wanting what other western states give their residents, because I’m a non-resident in all of them. In fact, I’m just asking CO to reduce NR to twice what they get in other western states, and only in the toughest to draw units. Even CPW staff recommended that the Commission approve a larger cut to NR than what I'm proposing.

That’s awesome that your state is 100% over-the-counter for NR. How many OTC elk tags, or mule deer tags, or pronghorn tags does your state sell to nonresidents? In 2021, nonresidents drew 33,390 limited deer and elk licenses in CO, and purchased another 44,715 elk licenses over the counter. Over 78,000 licenses to NR, but I’m pretty greedy for asking them to shift 2,165 of those back to residents for a financial loss of $75,000 (when CPW has a $52 million surplus).

But I think it is BS that they are increasing it from 6 to 10 points.

Not sure if you have visibility into this question, but do you know if the current overall number of units that takes 10 points now is less than, equal to or greater than the amount that took 6 points when this was originally calculated?

I would not be surprised if an equal amount or even more units take 10 now than took 6 then, bhr I really don’t keep a close eye on resident point requirements so not sure.

Not sure if you have visibility into this question, but do you know if the current overall number of units that takes 10 points now is less than, equal to or greater than the amount that took 6 points when this was originally calculated?

I would not be surprised if an equal amount or even more units take 10 now than took 6 then, bhr I really don’t keep a close eye on resident point requirements so not sure.
The table below shows what you're asking. Note that it includes bear and pronghorn which don't currently have a R/NR allocation, but they are proposing to add.

80-20 hunt codes.jpg

The table below shows what you're asking. Note that it includes bear and pronghorn which don't currently have a R/NR allocation, but they are proposing to add.

View attachment 244914
A somewhat good illustration for point creep, even for residents. The number of units that took 6 points to draw for residents has more than tripled for deer. I would be curious to go back to 2007-2009 and see how many units took 10 PP to draw back then. I bet is was in the single digits for deer and elk.

It's not just a bunch of nonresidents who hunt multiple states that are causing the increase in popularity of western hunting. I think I've seen proof of similar trends in other states as well. Some speculate that it is people who like western hunting moving to those states to become residents. I'm not sure but there is no doubt there has never been such pressure put on the resource as there is now and that doesn't even take into account the people who recreate in these same areas without carrying a bow or a gun.

i'm gonna send this link to every commission member too

do we need to try and set up a public trust doctrine workshop for them too? i feel like they might benefit from that.

maybe i'll send them the dictionary definitions of "financial" and "surplus"

maybe send them the results of the survey's again.

oh wait but the poor boot strappin outfitters i forgot 🤦‍♂️

i'm gonna send this link to every commission member too

do we need to try and set up a public trust doctrine workshop for them too? i feel like they might benefit from that.

maybe i'll send them the dictionary definitions of "financial" and "surplus"

maybe send them the results of the survey's again.

oh wait but the poor boot strappin outfitters i forgot 🤦‍♂️
good article, feels like they cherry-pick the examples a bit but they aren't wrong... something like that should be mandatory introductory reading for commission members just so they get a grasp of all the issues that already exist before they go creating new ones...

I do appreciate @Oak bringing this one to my attention, Email sent, is it just me or is everyone feeling like they spend an inordinate amount of time emailing and commenting to try to stop poor policy these days?

A somewhat good illustration for point creep, even for residents. The number of units that took 6 points to draw for residents has more than tripled for deer. I would be curious to go back to 2007-2009 and see how many units took 10 PP to draw back then. I bet is was in the single digits for deer and elk.

It's not just a bunch of nonresidents who hunt multiple states that are causing the increase in popularity of western hunting. I think I've seen proof of similar trends in other states as well. Some speculate that it is people who like western hunting moving to those states to become residents. I'm not sure but there is no doubt there has never been such pressure put on the resource as there is now and that doesn't even take into account the people who recreate in these same areas without carrying a bow or a gun.

Statewide deer pop. estimate (2010): 430,390
Statewide license quota: 83,923
Resident applicants: 103,224
Non-resident applicants: 56,162

Statewide deer pop. estimate (2021): 416,426 (-3.2%)
Statewide license quota: 101,405 (+20.8%)
Resident applicants: 122,469 (+18.6%)
Non-resident applicants: 95,450 (+69.9%)

So maybe it is the nonresidents. Not sure how that would really affect the resident point creep so much to make it triple though.

I do appreciate @Oak bringing this one to my attention, Email sent, is it just me or is everyone feeling like they spend an inordinate amount of time emailing and commenting to try to stop poor policy these days?

yes, and especially in states that i don't even live in, e.g., wyoming.

and honestly, i didn't expect these to be the policies we were trying to stop as much as what i thought we might be having to comment on from this commission. but never underestimate the businesses and outfitters i guess.

Feeling very vindicated for my opposition to the Future Generations Act right now, but it doesn't feel all that good.

Still cant wrap my head around all resident hunters that supported and went and testified in support of this blank check bill for CPW asking absolutely nothing in return? Hopefully a lesson learned.

So maybe it is the nonresidents. Not sure how that would really affect the resident point creep so much to make it triple though.
The other thing that happened since 2011 is that landowners went from 15% to 20% of the allocation with the passage of Senate Bill 13-188.

Yep, forgive me for wanting what other western states give their residents, because I’m a non-resident in all of them. In fact, I’m just asking CO to reduce NR to twice what they get in other western states, and only in the toughest to draw units. Even CPW staff recommended that the Commission approve a larger cut to NR than what I'm proposing.

That’s awesome that your state is 100% over-the-counter for NR. How many OTC elk tags, or mule deer tags, or pronghorn tags does your state sell to nonresidents? In 2021, nonresidents drew 33,390 limited deer and elk licenses in CO, and purchased another 44,715 elk licenses over the counter. Over 78,000 licenses to NR, but I’m pretty greedy for asking them to shift 2,165 of those back to residents for a financial loss of $75,000 (when CPW has a $52 million surplus).
I am a nr and I think colorado needs to do away with the otc and have a nr cap on all units that are general for residents then all limited quota should go to 90 10 give the residents of that state more good tags. But not every non resident looks at it that way. They just want to have that tag in there pocket even if 10000 others have it also. I would rather wait 5 years years and have a better hunt in that state if I am paying a premium to hunt it.

Statewide deer pop. estimate (2010): 430,390
Statewide license quota: 83,923
Resident applicants: 103,224
Non-resident applicants: 56,162

Statewide deer pop. estimate (2021): 416,426 (-3.2%)
Statewide license quota: 101,405 (+20.8%)
Resident applicants: 122,469 (+18.6%)
Non-resident applicants: 95,450 (+69.9%)
IMO that is not that bad over an 11 year span...

Email sent. Not sure what good it will do. They've made it clear their top priorities are #1 Budget and #2 Outfitters, not resident hunters that make up the VAST majority of their constituency.

They'll keep screwing around and ignoring resident hunters until Colorado follows the path of many other states and we start to manage wildlife via ballot box instead of the Commission; which is the hallmark sign of a failed Commission.

Reactions: Oak
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back