Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CPW Commission updating 80/20 allocation

Email Sent. Thanks, as always, @Oak for the data.

It's so mind bending that a potential loss of almost 1000 elk licenses, and 415 deer licenses from Residents (e.g. if they simply update 80/20 for 2019-2021 preference point levels versus raising the criteria to >=10 R points) is being proposed due to $75K.

Email Sent. Thanks, as always, @Oak for the data.

It's so mind bending that a potential loss of almost 1000 elk licenses, and 415 deer licenses from Residents (e.g. if they simply update 80/20 for 2019-2021 preference point levels versus raising the criteria to >=10 R points) is being proposed due to $75K.

i think the 75k is the just the scapegoat/excuse, not the actual issue.

in the words of the ukrain russia thread, 75k is a rounding error in the cpw budget.

i think the 75k is the just the scapegoat/excuse, not the actual issue.

in the words of the ukrain russia thread, 75k is a rounding error in the cpw budget.
Oh, I get it - but that's the excuse being floated in their public commentary.

Oh, I get it - but that's the excuse being floated in their public commentary.

it's just hard to imagine that when the majority of constituents want something and the staff recommends something largely in line with that then commission sees that proposal resulting in a hit to the budget that amounts to ~0.05%..... then the fiscal excuse is grade A bullchit.

maybe the commission doesn't want to see death by a thousand cuts to their precious NR elk teat. but maybe, just maybe the outfitters continue to have outsized influence, just like everywhere anymore.

or maybe to oaks point, the selfguided majority just isn't showing up. so let's change that.

I am not sure this would really affect me now but in the future I would not like to be limited out due to something voted on now. So I sent an e-mail with my opinion. Thank Oak for the heads up! Also, is there a better tool than an email that could be done? I am not well versed in the proceedings but will do more if I knew what to do.... so anything else that would add value to the commission?

or maybe to oaks point, the selfguided majority just isn't showing up. so let's change that.
Kinda hard to justify taking a full day off from work, to drive 5 hours away to speak for 3 minutes

All Commission meetings should be held either in Denver at CPW HQ or Castle Rock which is just about dead center in the state, and during times that are convenient for regular working people.

Kinda hard to justify taking a full day off from work, to drive 5 hours away to speak for 3 minutes

All Commission meetings should be held either in Denver at CPW HQ or Castle Rock which is just about dead center in the state, and during times that are convenient for regular working people.

well, by "showing up" i mean everything, commenting, e-mailing commission members individually, leaving them voicemails, and sure, physically being present at commission meetings.

i think most poeple are doing none of that.

residents and non residents absolutely crushed the bill to outlaw cat hunting (was that last year?) and it was done by floods of e-mails to the legislators and natural resource committee members.

i don't care if you go to the meetings or e-mail them. just "show up"

I see the same thing time and time again. You know who will show up? The opposite team...

I probably have spent at least $3000 of my own money in travel costs alone and who knows how much of my own personal time, 100s of hrs. If its important to you, don't sit back and complain it wasn't easy enough for you and pretend that you're the only one with a job.

You know who will show up? The opposite team...

and i think this is why colorado keeps going down this path that we're watching. resident hunters aren't even commenting, let alone physically showing up.

if resident hunters actually just commented it might just start effecting the changes we want. if more of us started showing up physically who knows what could happen. but let's start with commenting, at least. i think it will make a world of a difference.

I see the same thing time and time again. You know who will show up? The opposite team...

I probably have spent at least $3000 of my own money in travel costs alone and who knows how much of my own personal time, 100s of hrs. If its important to you, don't sit back and complain it wasn't easy enough for you and pretend that you're the only one with a job.
I do attend meetings, when they are in the Springs. But I'm guilty of growing very apathetic to Colorado and am looking at just hunting other states. Colorado tags are just something to do tags. Last year I hunted Wyoming, this year is Kansas. I'm just getting to where I don't care what Colorado does anymore. Keeps getting worse and don't see an end in sight no matter how many meetings I attend, letters I write or phone calls I make

I will go to my grave believing Residents seriously F'ed up and blew any chance for change by supporting the Future Generations Act. They showed up in support of that for some reason?

The public has had the option to testify to the Commission via Zoom since an event that happened in early 2020 (sign up early). But to JL's point, I don't see any reason for the Commission meetings to move all over the state. And I think you should be able to go to the nearest CPW Service Center to testify, if you don't want to or can't use Zoom. They all have video conferencing capabilities with the other offices.

The November meeting is in Gateway, CO, and if you don't know where Gateway, CO is, don't feel bad. It has a population of 139. It's 4.5 miles from Utah and 50 miles from the nearest town with over 1,000 people. In the words of a friend via text last night, "meeting mid-hunting season in some obscure burg shows the commission's contempt of the common sportsperson."

Last edited:
"meeting mid-hunting season in some obscure burg shows the commission's contempt of the common sportsperson."

i thought about this. only i thought about it from the angle of "sucks to be a commissioner"

does the O&G commission do this? I know CWCB floats around for their commission meetings in a similarly ridiculous fashion. i'm not sure why there's a need to do this. the public shows up to none of them so it's not any sort of opportunity to showcase a town and bring in some revneue.

The cost associated with having these meetings all over the state is the reason why we can't reduce NR revenue by $75,000. ;) ;) This upcoming meeting is being held over 2 days at Gateway Canyons Resort, which is owned by John Hendricks (founder of the Discovery Channel). Go online and try to book a room at GCR and see what it costs. :)

sent off my e-mail to the comments address and then sent off the same comments to each commissioner individually.

being frank with them. i'm telling them it's clear what matters more to them and that it's not self guided residents, the majority of their consituents. making a decision off a fiscal rounding error is actually absurd when the decision would benefit residents. thanks for helping me put together more data and arguments oak per this thread.

Copying these Commissioner statement summaries from the July meeting over from the other allocation thread.

Commissioner Blecha: "Allocation is fundamental to the business owners who utilize this process for their livelihoods." She wants "changes that are going to be effective, and for the people using this program, it's going to be helpful to them and to [CPW]." She wants to "make it something effective and positive for everybody involved."

Commissioner Haskett: Suggested that if 80/20 hunt codes are updated, then the determining number of preference points needs to be increased (from 5 to 10, for example). Seems like this could effectively nullify any gains on the R side depending on the number of PP chosen.

Commissioner Adams: Wants CPW to provide financial impacts to outfitters from the proposed decisions. She appreciates the ranchers and outfitters interest in having commissioners tour their ranches and meet with them. She encourages all of the commissioners to connect to folks in their areas. She said it has been really transformative to ground all of the paperwork and analysis into real people. She mentioned that these are real people's lives and real communities' lives.

Jenny Burbey, President, Colorado Outfitters Association: "The reality is that there are a lot of families that rely on a limited resource...the animals on the landscape and the services we provide to aid in harvesting that resource. If we don't put that first and stop the people wrangling on the other side, nobody is going to benefit."

No one should be surprised that a commission whos Sportsperson representative is an outfitter should tell you all you need to know about whether anyone on the commission gives a damn about resident hunters.

The November meeting is in Gateway, CO, and if you don't know where Gateway, CO is, don't feel bad.
I have to admit when I first saw ‘Gateway’, I assumed it had to be Gateway HS in Aurora.

Also, is there a better tool than an email that could be done?
I always also do what @TOGIE did and email the individual commissioners. Or at least cc: them individually.

In the past, I struck up a couple of 1:1 convos with commissioners this way, and as I had met commissioner Adams and spoke to her for quite a while at a BHA event this spring, I added some personalization to the one I sent directly to her.

The public has had the option to testify to the Commission via Zoom since an event that happened in early 2020 (sign up early). But to JL's point, I don't see any reason for the Commission meetings to move all over the state. And I think you should be able to go to the nearest CPW Service Center to testify, if you don't want to or can't use Zoom. They all have video conferencing capabilities with the other offices.

The November meeting is in Gateway, CO, and if you don't know where Gateway, CO is, don't feel bad. It has a population of 139. It's 4.5 miles from Utah and 50 miles from the nearest town with over 1,000 people. In the words of a friend via text last night, "meeting mid-hunting season in some obscure burg shows the commission's contempt of the common sportsperson."

Hunted out of Gateway in 2019... ffs there is barely a gas pump in that town.

Hunted out of Gateway in 2019... ffs there is barely a gas pump in that town.
Correct. It's 50 miles from Grand Junction, and the vast majority of people who will attend will drive through GJ or within 10 miles. There is one hotel in Gateway. When I looked yesterday at the cost of booking a room, the cheapest option was $404/night. I would be curious to know what rate the state received for their rooms.

The stated purpose of moving the meetings around the state is to make it more convenient for constituents throughout the state to attend at least one meeting in person. In that regard, it makes no sense to have a meeting in one of the most remote towns in the state, with a population less than 150.

Correct. It's 50 miles from Grand Junction, and the vast majority of people who will attend will drive through GJ or within 10 miles. There is one hotel in Gateway. When I looked yesterday at the cost of booking a room, the cheapest option was $404/night. I would be curious to know what rate the state received for their rooms.

The stated purpose of moving the meetings around the state is to make it more convenient for constituents throughout the state to attend at least one meeting in person. In that regard, it makes no sense to have a meeting in one of the most remote towns in the state, with a population less than 150.
Were is the next meeting... Sawpit?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back