Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

COVID-19 Antibodies Found in 40% Of Wild Deer Tested

Sytes

Interesting read... to read the whole article beyond the teaser portion, place any email and it will grant you three full articles.

The focus for our interest...
"There’s “no evidence that you can get COVID-19 by eating [contaminated] food, including wild hunted game meat,” the USDA says. The department is not issuing new guidance, pointing instead to existing government recommendations on good hygiene when processing animals, which include properly cooking and storing meat, and cleaning and disinfecting all knives, surfaces, and equipment."

it was a blood sampling study that's been going on for years and since last march of 2020 they've started finding covid antibodies in the sampling. i read the article a few days ago, that's what i seem to recall.

who the hell thinks people should've stopped doing their jobs, or shouldn't be, in the middle of a pandemic?

Last edited:
How do you guys think it made the jump from humans to WT? Deer farm escapees and capture studies seem like likely species jump scenarios to me.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I spend a fair amount of time in the whitetail woods and I expect bucks are spreading it in November, Im going to strive to protect the innocent does and fawns.

Good plan. I'll join that effort too.

Plus, I read somewhere that eating animals w antibodies improves immune response....(might have only read that when I typed it...but hey, that seems good enough these days.)

Interesting article...thanks for posting.

I feel like we need to follow the science here folks, we don’t want this thing mutating in a unvaccinated deer and jumping to one of y’all. Turn in your deer tags just to be safe, especially in Montana, I heard it was 90% of deer in Montana that tested positive and would have been 100 but 10% croaked from cwd first.

Wouldn’t it be cool if the rona crossed with CWD? The new Zombierona variant.. hell yea that would cool.. first deer that coughs near me in about a month is getting the geek.. thwack!

Last edited:
CWD redoux. Only difference and seems pretty valuable - deer have yet to show adverse signs. Something able to learn for human immunity?

My concern and maybe @Hunting Wife might be able to chime in or another who has some background, seems USDA believes it's not something that can affect humans from harvest, processing, and (or) consuming.
Why is that?
Even though they said CWD likely not able to affect humans they still made it exempt wanton waste restriction if found with CWD at checkstation or fwp office testing.

CWD redoux. Only difference and seems pretty valuable - deer have yet to show adverse signs. Something able to learn for human immunity?

My concern and maybe @Hunting Wife might be able to chime in or another who has some background, seems USDA believes it's not something that can affect humans from harvest, processing, and (or) consuming.
Why is that?
Even though they said CWD likely not able to affect humans they still made it exempt wanton waste restriction if found with CWD at checkstation or fwp office testing.

Yea I mean here there is no species barrier, so? My guess would be that unless the deer is symptomatic it’s not shedding the virus in a transmissible way and transmission isn’t going to occur from the antibodies in the blood so little to no risk.

Author: Geert Vanden Bossche, DVM, PhD (March 6, 2021) – https://www.linkedin.com/in/geertvandenbossche/

It’s certainly also worth mentioning that mutations in the S protein (i.e., exactly the same protein that is subject to selection of escape mutations) are known to enable Coronaviruses to cross species barriers. This is to say that the risk that vaccine-mediated immune escape could allow the virus to jump to other animal species, especially industrial livestock (e.g., pig and poultry farms), is not negligible. These species are already known to host several different Coronaviruses and are usually housed in farms with high stocking density. Similar to the situation with influenza virus, these species could than serve as an additional reservoir for SARS-COVID-2 virus.

Link to the original paper. This paper is not specific to cross species virus spread but rather this was a small excerpt. I happened to read this paper earlier today and then saw this post.

Why is that?
Likely because people have little interaction with respiratory secretions of deer? I’m on vacation, haven’t read the article. Just a wild ass guess.

Another wild ass guess on introduction from humans to deer would be water. Cities have been detecting virus in treated water and have been using that for virus surveillance since early in the pandemic. Accumulation of various metabolites of drugs, pathogens, etc have been known to move from humans to wildlife via this route for decades. Doesn’t seem like a big leap.

I feel like we need to follow the science here folks, we don’t want this thing mutating in a unvaccinated deer and jumping to one of y’all. Turn in your deer tags just to be safe, especially in Montana, I heard it was 90% of deer in Montana that tested positive and would have been 100 but 10% croaked from cwd first.

Wouldn’t it be cool if the rona crossed with CWD? The new Zombierona variant.. hell yea that would cool.. first deer that coughs near me in about a month is getting the geek.. thwack!

Don’t give Montana any ideas. They will try to completely wipe them out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back