Corona virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all good I was listening to a Bozeman country radio station yesterday while meeting a customer at a job site. The host was asking a listener to explain why everyone was so worried. He said well if it’s a 2% death rate and 1,000,000 people get it than 200,000 will die. Said country radio host and his co host didn’t correct the listener and just went along with it. And then one of the guys working on the cabinets was like damn that means like 20% of Montana could die. There was a table saw in the room and I thought of just sawing off my own head to escape.

It’s all good I was listening to a Bozeman country radio station yesterday while meeting a customer at a job site. The host was asking a listener to explain why everyone was so worried. He said well if it’s a 2% death rate and 1,000,000 people get it than 200,000 will die. Said country radio host and his co host didn’t correct the listener and just went along with it. And then one of the guys working on the cabinets was like damn that means like 20% of Montana could die. There was a table saw in the room and I thought of just sawing off my own head to escape.
Maybe they came to Hunt Talk for their math lesson?

Take Don Jr's phone away from him for sure...he simply doesn't understand the enmity he can generate, even when he's correct.
Weren't we discussing fear mongering earlier?

Don Jr.: Not at all. I mean, we've seen -- like you said, we've seen this play out for four years. Anything that they can use to try to hurt Trump, they will. Anything he does in a positive sense, like you heard from the reporter that was just suspended from ABC, they will not give him credit for. The playbook is old at this point.
But for them to try to take a pandemic and seemingly hope that it comes here, and kills millions of people so that they could end Donald Trump's streak of winning, is a new level of sickness. You know, I don't know if this is coronavirus or Trump derangement syndrome, but these people are infected badly.

I'll be honest, I'm tired of the victim card. Speak truth and act with integrity and humility.

Edit: a little contextual addition, my job is likely safe and unaffected by this entire situation. My wife could be facing temporary/extended furlough. Two of my kids are attending colleges, and one works in the service industry. We won't feel the sting as much as some, but will so more than others. This could be challenging times.

Minnesota just declared "Peacetime State of Emergency"

Details:
  • Canceling events of over 250 people
  • Canceling events under 250 where people can't maintain 6+ feet separation between them (which seems like it means all events)
  • Canceling events of 10 or more people where some or all of the participants are in a high risk group
  • Asking employers to move "to work from home where ever possible" practice
  • The state is not requiring or recommending school closures at this moment but will be tracking carefully and allow individual communities and families to make their own choices - they say CDC modeling does not show effectiveness of school closings as a reduction technique given the low virus activity in children.
  • Clarifies that routine activities like shopping/errands are not being restricted - but people should limit where possible
  • Event rules don't apply to people's normal use of airports, schools, hospitals, malls, etc. - but people should limit where possible
  • Testing is not only the medically sick but they are also doing randomized general population testing to track broader trends

Last edited:
This is now effecting the VA health system. I saw my social worker today in person, but she said my appointment next week will be over the phone with me at home. The VA is trying to cut out as many non hands on visits as possible now for a few weeks. So, a lot of mental health and telehealth with providers will be from home for a couple of weeks. Which sucks, because my social worker is hot as hell and it's always nice to start a day off with her :p

Lots of good points. Again, I have no idea the error rate, and it will have both a false positive and a false negative so if those are vaguely equal the population statistics are still useful - some are and some aren't. As for differentiating corona virus variants these RNA based tests are super specific - my guess is the majority of whatever error there is, is the result of sample handling and preparation - which is not easy when you are talking thousand of clinical samples ranging from nose swabs to flem samples (ick). Sample error tends to elevate the false negatives more than false positives except in the case of cross-contamination.

False positives and false negatives being approximately equal only evens out if the rate of infected and naive people is equal. If the infection rate is extremely low, then the opportunity for false negative is extremely low, but the opportunity for false positive is extremely high.

That’s why we should only test symptomatic people and asymptomatic people who have confirmed CLOSE contact with symptomatic people. Testing masses of people that are likely to have a very low prevalence rate will ensure an extremely high rate of false positives even with an almost perfect test.

If the Iroquois had only used less hand sanitizer and played in the dirt a bit more then small pox would have had no chance, right? Good to know viruses can't infect real men that wrassle in the dirt, don't use sanitizer and like to high five the bros. I will sleep well knowing guys down at the feed store have figured out the ramification for us in 2020. Phew. I was thinking Italy's issues today was our future in April. Okay, time to apply in Colorado and toss out the hand sanitizer.

If the Iroquois had only used less hand sanitizer and played in the dirt a bit more then small pox would have had no chance, right? Good to know viruses can't infect real men that wrassle in the dirt, don't use sanitizer and like to high five the bros. I will sleep well knowing guys down at the feed store have figured out the ramification for us in 2020. Phew. I was thinking Italy's issues today was our future in April. Okay, time to apply in Colorado and toss out the hand sanitizer.
It's a joke "bro"

Be nice if both sides could work together on this one, but that seems too much to ask. It wasn't the Trump admin that outsourced this country's pharm industry. I think a very hard look needs to be made at getting critical drugs produced here again. That would seem to be something that liberals and conservatives could both get behind unless the kickbacks are just too big to pass up.

Elections have consequences.
who would you rather share a campfire with Jr or HunterBiden
Well I'm not into strippers and cocaine, nor folks who get paid $83,000 per month for fluff jobs so Hunter is sadly out. I think Jr would probably be pretty fun to have a beer with and talk shooting at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back