Corona virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudder

I had a thought that may add some perspective. The Feds are going to massage any message or any update on the factual situation.

I live in a satellite town of a small city that is a satellite city (the suburbs) of a major metropolitan area, combined population around a 100,000, We have five reported cases of the Coronavirus, the factual count is likely 10 times that or more.
Store shelves are empty, hand disinfectant unattainable. Toilet paper scarce.

What is your situation? If enough people contribute we can likely get a better grasp of the real situation, official dialog versus on the spot reports.

I think the flu is a bigger problem then this "Coronavirus" aka covid-19. I dont deny that its a real threat, but in this country I think we are better off then we would be in countrys like china. Here in bozeman there are no confirmed cases, but the Flu has been real bad this year. Are you somewhere near Seattle?

I had a thought that may add some perspective. The Feds are going to massage any message or any update on the factual situation.

I live in a satellite town of a small city that is a satellite city (the suburbs) of a major metropolitan area, combined population around a 100,000, We have five reported cases of the Coronavirus, the factual count is likely 10 times that or more.

What is your situation? If enough people contribute we can likely get a better grasp of the real situation, official dialog versus on the spot reports.
Why would the Feds massage the message??????? Maybe the corona virus has been politicized allready by non Feds??

I think the flu is a bigger problem then this "Coronavirus" aka covid-19. I dont deny that its a real threat, but in this country I think we are better off then we would be in countrys like china. Here in bozeman there are no confirmed cases, but the Flu has been real bad this year. Are you somewhere near Seattle?
No, I'm in the middle of Germany. The national news here hasn't said squat about these cases just the local news. These cases are hundreds of miles from previously reported cases.

Why would the Feds massage the message??????? Maybe the corona virus has been politicized allready by non Feds??

I haven't seen any non-Feds politicize anything. Trump doesn't like the fact that the market is tanking and thus diminishing his primary talking point.

Personally, I'm going to look at what career epidemiologist at the CDC, NIH, etc are saying and follow their recommendations.

I’m more interested in what else might be going on while everybody is pretending to be so worried about something so stupid.

I survived the end of net neutrality. I’ll live through this.
May be stupid, but I've been a few places that the supply chain broke down. How many truck drivers, warehouse workers, shelf stockers etc. have to get sick to make life more difficult than normal?

It may be nothing then again it may be. I sure don't believe what I'm being fed by the central government or some internut expert.

First hand, on the ground reports, IMO are much more useful.

Information dispersal can go a lot of ways. Giving general guidelines (wash your damn hands and cover your mouth when coughing/sneezing) to try to minimize spread but not relaying the full impact to mitigate widespread panic, knowing how the media loves to sensationalize everything. Or, media taking something minor and overblowing the whole thing because it makes for easy programming/ratings, and they excel at that. Groups of people are generally easy to panic, and everyone has played the game where you are given some information to then whisper in the next person's ear and down the line you find that the information the first person presented is vastly different than what was given at the end of the line. So take what you are told with a grain of salt.

Information dispersal can go a lot of ways. Giving general guidelines (wash your damn hands and cover your mouth when coughing/sneezing) to try to minimize spread but not relaying the full impact to mitigate widespread panic, knowing how the media loves to sensationalize everything. Or, media taking something minor and overblowing the whole thing because it makes for easy programming/ratings, and they excel at that. Groups of people are generally easy to panic, and everyone has played the game where you are given some information to then whisper in the next person's ear and down the line you find that the information the first person presented is vastly different than what was given at the end of the line. So take what you are told with a grain of salt.

Absolutely, and I would clarify my comment by saying CNN, Fox, XYZ news agency my be politicizing things, but to my knowledge career medical professionals are not. Listen to what the experts are saying, ignore the commentary from the news agencies.

I find it hard to believe this has a political slant to it, but then again everything gets politicized. I could see the CDC & NIH downplaying it like I stated to help control panic, but doubt this could be used as a political football even with trying to reverse the semi-recent reduction of funding for some of these areas.

This won't answer any particular political agendas, but I find it more than slightly interesting reading

While the flu might be more common right now, that can change. We are in the very early stages of what is hard to believe will not get much much worse. Exponential growth? Remember that from your intro ecology course somewhere in the distant past? That's where we are going. That virus is hitting a target rich environment. It will be hard for it to miss a target.

Did I read that right that you think 100k people is a metro area? I'm not worried at all but i do know the Costco's and Sam's club in Colorado are out of bread and tp daily lol. are people shitin themselves about the virus?

“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.” I don't think the Corona Virus is something to be overlooked, but I also don't believe it is any bigger of a threat to Americans than the normal flu. I would imagine when this is all said and done Corona Virus will not compare to the normal flu when comparing deaths in 2019-20.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S. On average according the the World Health Organization (WHO), the flue kills ~650,000 people globally each year and in a bad year has killed up to 61,000 Americans. However, you rarely hear a word from the media on these deaths. The flu rarely gets this sort of attention even though year after year it kills more people than any other virus. Back in 2003 the SARS outbreak killed 8,098 people World Wide and the flu killed 48,614 people in the United States alone. People are freaking out saying Corona Virus will be worse than SARS, but it was no where close to the common flu in 2003-04.

Corona Virus is nothing new, it has been around a while and has caused just as much panic before with SARS. There are seven known types of human coronaviruses. Four types (229E, NL63, OC43, and KHU1) are common and cause mild to moderate respiratory infections, like the common cold. Two types, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), can cause severe respiratory infections. The seventh type (2019-nCoV) is the new coronavirus recently discovered in China.

in a bad year has killed up to 61,000 Americans.
They seem to have forgotten about the Spanish Flu in 1918, that took about half a percent of Americans out (500,000+). Unless they're choosing not to include H1N1, but that is an influenza virus so I don't know why it would be excluded.

Last edited:
To make this point more effective. When you cough or sneeze do it into the bend in your elbow and not in your hands. If you cover your mouth with your hands you just spread it onto every thing you touch before washing your hands.

Does this mean I have to switch to Dos Equis when I go fishin' tomorrow? Hey, I'm just trying to catch a dinner trout. I don't need be worrying about some beer giving me a virus ! :mad:

This, the media and general population should be freaking out about the flu, but they'll never get their heads screwed on straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back