Corner Crossing latest

I am just wondering about potential outcomes for this whole corner-crossing issue. I wonder if the public land that is landlocked should be taxed as if it were private? Since the private land owner that surrounds this land enjoys the full benefits of this public land (wildlife, privacy etc.), then why in essence they are benefitting from this. They only pay taxes now on the land they own, but what if the county land appraisers were to impute a value to the extra public acreage that is adjacent to their private lands? Or does this already occur? Anybody know for sure? In other words, we jack up the taxes on these private landowners, and in effect the marketplace lowers the value of their existing property.
Doesnt happen. Wont happen with western legislatures being the spearhead for landowner welfare. Ag prop taxes are laughably cheap - grazing public is even cheaper.

I am just wondering about potential outcomes for this whole corner-crossing issue.

Anywhere from the district court gets reversed, kids from MO lose and we are all done, to goes all the way to SCOTUS and corner crossing public becomes a thing across the 50 states, and lots of in between.
I wonder if the public land that is landlocked should be taxed as if it were private? Since the private land owner that surrounds this land enjoys the full benefits of this public land (wildlife, privacy etc.), then why in essence they are benefitting from this. They only pay taxes now on the land they own, but what if the county land appraisers were to impute a value to the extra public acreage that is adjacent to their private lands? Or does this already occur? Anybody know for sure? In other words, we jack up the taxes on these private landowners, and in effect the marketplace lowers the value of their existing property.
In theory adjacent features that make a property more valuable are supposed to be accounted for in a valuation - think of a home on a lake or near a ski resort vs a home no view and no nearby amenities. So, adjacent federal access should be considered in valuations, but how aggressively that gets pushed in some of the western states is unclear given the local politics of it all.

Last edited:
Anywhere from the district court gets reversed, kids from MO lose and we are all dad, to goes all the way to SCOTUS and corner crossing public becomes a thing across the 50 states, and lots of in between.

In theory adjacent features that make a property more valuable are supposed to be accounted for in a valuation - think of a home on a lake or near a ski resort vs a home no view and no nearby amenities. So, adjacent federal access should be considered in valuations, but how aggressively that gets pushed in some of the western states is unclear given the local politics of it all.
Better example is a river or stream, which adds value.

I remember when stream access passed, like corner crossing landowners now, they went ape chit that it would decrease property value.

It was all nonsense, the same way they're now claiming corner crossing will devalue their property.

Pack of lies and all nonsense.

I remember when stream access passed, like corner crossing landowners now, they went ape chit that it would decrease property value.

It was all nonsense, the same way they're now claiming corner crossing will devalue their property.

I don't disagree. However, if the legislature were to pass legislation that forced appraiser to take into account in the calculation of property taxes that the owner shoukd pay higher taxes, THAT would certainly devalue the property, right? Yeppers. They are getting a freebie, now we are forcing you to pay higher taxes on that freebie. You enjoyed the benefits, now pay the bill for the property taxes.

Anywhere from the district court gets reversed, kids from MO lose and we are all dad, to goes all the way to SCOTUS and corner crossing public becomes a thing across the 50 states, and lots of in between.

I know what the theory is, I'm asking what is customary and usual.
(n) Big IF! Why would you even come up with that nonsense? Is it something you are suggesting to your legislator or why would it even occur to you?
I live in Florida!!! What nonsense? Do you know anything about appraisals? The legislature could do this. A potential law COULD force the appraisers in each county to explicitly account for this in their appraisals of the property for real estate taxes. Why couldn't they???

Do you know anything about appraisals?
YES, I do!
The legislature could do this.
Yes they could ... and have been enacting a plethora of crazy bills of late in many states. That doesn't mean you should encourage them to do so or even suggest such nonsense as increased valuation due to their exclusive public lands boundary. Far out hypothetical conjecturing is not helpful.

I don't disagree. However, if the legislature were to pass legislation that forced appraiser to take into account in the calculation of property taxes that the owner shoukd pay higher taxes, THAT would certainly devalue the property, right? Yeppers. They are getting a freebie, now we are forcing you to pay higher taxes on that freebie. You enjoyed the benefits, now pay the bill for the property taxes.
In a state legislature dominated by AG interests, they're going to pass something like that in Wyoming?

Was it alcohol or drugs that fueled your critical thinking on this matter?

A potential law COULD force the appraisers in each county to explicitly account for this in their appraisals of the property for real estate taxes. Why couldn't they???
They could, but the bigger question is why would they? Agriculture and the Ag Lobby rule these states. And in a place like MT, where a large portion of our citizen legislature comes from a working ranch, they will never do anything to make themselves pay a cent more into taxes.

Who has the right to appeal a tax assessment value in Wyoming? I would think a landowner can appeal their own tax assessed value, but can a concerned citizen appeal the value of another parcel as a resident of that tax district?

Who has the right to appeal a tax assessment value in Wyoming? I would think a landowner can appeal their own tax assessed value, but can a concerned citizen appeal the value of another parcel as a resident of that tax district?
Don't get so concerned about burning down a bridge that hasn't even been built.

Try it and find out. Let us know. These are The Days of the Wild West in so far as what's legal, what's not, and who dares to enforce either. I'll get my popcorn.

You can tell your assessor anything you want. I dont imagine youll make much for friends calling the tax man on people. Ha

They could, but the bigger question is why would they? Agriculture and the Ag Lobby rule these states. And in a place like MT, where a large portion of our citizen legislature comes from a working ranch, they will never do anything to make themselves pay a cent more into taxes.
Good point. I was making a point of discussion.

In theory it should reduce their property values - but that doesn’t matter as the increased value wasn’t theirs to keep in the first place. It’s like if my house is across from a low use city park and it made my home more desirable to purchasers. But then my city decided to build a big dog park that drove lots of traffic and noise into the neighborhood and my home became less desirable. That is the reality of real estate. The lawful land use of your neighbors effects your values but that is the risk you take. These folks need to grow up and stop whining- they enjoyed a windfall at public expense for years and it is coming to an end. We don’t have to pretend this doesn’t suck for them - it’s just that it sucking for them isn’t our problem.

YES, I do!

Yes they could ... and have been enacting a plethora of crazy bills of late in many states. That doesn't mean you should encourage them to do so or even suggest such nonsense as increased valuation due to their exclusive public lands boundary. Far out hypothetical conjecturing is not helpful.
May or may not be the right policy choice for WY but hardly “far out”. In fact the land owner in this case has put up experts saying this inflated the price he paid for the land. The assessor should consider that testimony if they are doing their job properly.

Not unless that state law provided for such an appeal. And I think that would be a terrible policy choice and I haven’t heard of any states that allow that.

Nobody likes to have something taken away. For generations, access to corner-locked public land was considered an exclusive amenity owned by adjacent landowners, advertised to potential buyers when these private properties were/are for sale. We public land owning peasants never had access to many of these tracts so we never missed them. In fact they belonged to us all along.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malaskabound20032000@yaho
Back