Yeti GOBOX Collection

Corner Crossing latest

I've been vilified plenty of times by people who don't understand that I defend people's rights, not their actions.

You're both right, however. I've also done civil work, and one of the perks of that side of the law is that you can always turn down a client. If I look at something like the UPOM case here in MT, the attorneys worldviews do tend to align with their clients. On the flip side, these people, no matter how repugnant, are entitled to competent representation. And we are better off that they have lawyers making these arguments as opposed to going at it alone.

The cleaner the record (which the attorneys are making sure they create), the more likely the case is going to stand when it is ultimately adjudicated.

In this case, I'm glad Mr. Eshelman had his team to make all the arguments they could. It helped Judge Skavdahl make a very thorough record as to why they were so very wrong, and it will help the 10th circuit do a thorough job of rejecting their arguments as well.

I've been vilified plenty of times by people who don't understand that I defend people's rights, not their actions.

You're both right, however. I've also done civil work, and one of the perks of that side of the law is that you can always turn down a client. If I look at something like the UPOM case here in MT, the attorneys worldviews do tend to align with their clients. On the flip side, these people, no matter how repugnant, are entitled to competent representation. And we are better off that they have lawyers making these arguments as opposed to going at it alone.

The cleaner the record (which the attorneys are making sure they create), the more likely the case is going to stand when it is ultimately adjudicated.

In this case, I'm glad Mr. Eshelman had his team to make all the arguments they could. It helped Judge Skavdahl make a very thorough record as to why they were so very wrong, and it will help the 10th circuit do a thorough job of rejecting their arguments as well.
Do the same thing as Union President, defend the rights/process, not the actions.

Good post.

@VikingsGuy I guess this means we are both scum bags 🤣
I work in the medical field the majority of my dealing are with malpractice lawsuits so literal ambulance chasers. I just don't know what definition is being used to describe a "good" lawyer. In my opinion the best lawyers are willing to drop their morales in order to represent their clients rights as you mentioned earlier. But that's not exactly my definition of being a "good" man.

But that's not exactly my definition of being a "good" man.

I get that, especially in policy work but my counter would be that the oath to defend the undefendable is an honourable thing. It helps ensure the rule of law and it creates a more broad definition of honor.

Having said that, what do you call 2 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start.

In my opinion the best lawyers are willing to drop their morales in order to represent their clients rights as you mentioned earlier. But that's not exactly my definition of being a "good" man.
I've never needed to "drop my morals" to represent my clients' rights. That misinterprets what I said. I said there is an important distinction between my clients' rights and my clients' actions. I defend one, not the other.

But I also wouldn't claim to be a good lawyer or a good man. The jury is out on all that.

@Ben Lamb that scenario doesn't happen very often, because usually some sharks come along and save the lawyers. It's professional courtesy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back