Core4element Merino

PFUNK

I'm wanting to switch my base layers over to merino wool from the under armor I have been using, and I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the core4element line. I've seen their 190 weight base layers up on camofire a few times now and am thinking about pulling the trigger. Anyone have any first hand experience? I want a camo layer for the top, and I know first lite is another company that makes one but it's a little spendier. Are they worth the extra money? The bottoms I don't care what color they are so I am sure there are lots of companies making those. I've heard smartwool, icebreaker, KUIU, firstlite are all nice? I also noticed cabelas has Russel brand merino wool base layers in the bargain cave, but the reviews on those seem mixed. Will want to use these as base layers year round and add layers as it gets later in the season. Thanks.

Last edited:
My brother uses some core4 pieces and seems really happy with them, not sure if he has the Moreno stuff or not. I use a combination of kuiu, smart wool, first light, and stoic. I have nothing but good things about all of them. If camo is not a concern there have been some really good deals on stoic stuff on backcountry.com lately. And the quality of those pieces has been top notch.

I bought the 190 merino before the season last fall and wore it all through bow and rifle season. I really like mine and so far it has held up well. I would recommend it.

If its 100% merino wool you cant go wrong, its amazing stuff, mine is from Icebreaker and Rab.
Cheers
Richard

Got the core4element merino 190 top and bottoms last fall (camofire). Wore them to MT in October and in VA thru the winter and have no complaints. Wore them for trapping, hiking, shooting, working, horse back riding, and hunting. Very comfortable and seem to have held up well after wearing and washing many times.
Will get another set to have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Guess I will be pulling the trigger the next time the 1/4 zip top comes up for sale. I am pretty certain they are 100% merino. Mostly looking for something to help keep the odor down. My under armor gets pretty rank... even after only a day of hiking with a pack on.

I made the change to merino last year because of the 'funk' that came from wearing my UA stuff was terrible. I mix and match merino with various brands, and smartwool has been good to me.

Back