Yeti GOBOX Collection

Thoughts on Kuiu products (clothing)?

matechakeric

I am a fan of First Lite but have been looking at some Kuiu items for a while. I'm curious for anyone who's battle-tested their clothing -- base layers, mids, and outer layers -- what are your thoughts?

it doesn't seem like they make a ton of women' options though

Last edited:
I own several kuiu items, 1 piece of first light.
Kuiu Pro pant is great for mid season on. Merino 145 is a great item for any hunt from hot to cold, but my wrist cuffs are falling apart after just 2 years. I like the first light kiln hoody for cooler weather, but it does get smelly, whereas the kuiu does not.
Kuiu yukon rain gear is very high quality, but heavy, best if you're getting drenched, not for the occasional shower.

I'm looking at a midweight kuiu fleece next.

As for other insulation, many companies (not even hunting companies) make better down and synthetic jackets, as long as you subscribe to the "camo is meaningless" philosophy.

I have a few outter layers of Kuiu, a pack, bino harness, and rangefinder holder. I love there stuff. I also have a few items from First Lite, that I like. To me, outside of the base-layers, Kuiu beats First Lite and Sitka simply for price points.

There seems to be a lot of hate for KUIU on this forum but having used them for several seasons and FL as well I think the make a great product.
The merino wool is not as comfortable as FL but is way more durable.
I don't own any of their down stuff but a friend of mine does and it is extremely light and warm. I use their synthetic insulated zip pants, jacket and snap shirt. It is amazing stuff. I was hiking in it and getting warm felt the outside of the arm and it was wet from my sweat! The inside was completely dry. Some kind of magic allowing my sweat to evaporate through! The DWR replent is great and if it gets soaked the stuff drys out quickly. I love how lightweight the synthetic stuff is and not sure I would spend the money for the down just for weight savings.
Love the zip off marino bottoms that allow me to take them off without taking my boots off.
The Attack pants are awesome, they are a bit warm for early archery but you can open the leg vents to help, but I have been wearing my Prana Zion pants for that season and they fit and feel similar to the Attack pants.
I have their lightweight rain gear and when I got themnI thought they would fail because how light they were. I abused them laying in snow and mud putting on tire chains getting off a mountain. Figured they would be trashed. They looked like a muddy mess. Cleaned them up and used them again and no leaks!
Their greatest piece in my opinion is the insulated snap shirt. Love that thing, I even gave one for wearing every day.
I have equal amounts of FL gear but when I go backpacking in the mountains KUIU is all I take except for the FL socks and the FL marino boxers.

I'd never turn down a gift of any KUIU product that fit me. I own Attack Pants, some merino T-s, a 1/4 zip pullover, a set of rain gear and I'd likely buy a down puffy if I have the need.

I do own a base longsleeve shirt from First lite and I cherish it. I will look at both brands when I need a piece.

I like the pants, Talus Hybrid Pants. Warm enough with base layers for most situations. Not for sitting and glassing at super cold temps though.

Not in love with the top coat Rubicon hooded. Its too small even oversized (2xl instead of my usual XL) to pack enough layers under it for cold weather. At the end of they day I would probably not have bought it. Other coats might be a different story, only tried these two items.

Do like the camo pattern for what its worth. Helps with breakup in the open prairie that I typically hunt in.

There seems to be a lot of hate for KUIU on this forum but having used them for several seasons and FL as well I think the make a great product.
The merino wool is not as comfortable as FL but is way more durable.
I don't own any of their down stuff but a friend of mine does and it is extremely light and warm. I use their synthetic insulated zip pants, jacket and snap shirt. It is amazing stuff. I was hiking in it and getting warm felt the outside of the arm and it was wet from my sweat! The inside was completely dry. Some kind of magic allowing my sweat to evaporate through! The DWR replent is great and if it gets soaked the stuff drys out quickly. I love how lightweight the synthetic stuff is and not sure I would spend the money for the down just for weight savings.
Love the zip off marino bottoms that allow me to take them off without taking my boots off.
The Attack pants are awesome, they are a bit warm for early archery but you can open the leg vents to help, but I have been wearing my Prana Zion pants for that season and they fit and feel similar to the Attack pants.
I have their lightweight rain gear and when I got themnI thought they would fail because how light they were. I abused them laying in snow and mud putting on tire chains getting off a mountain. Figured they would be trashed. They looked like a muddy mess. Cleaned them up and used them again and no leaks!
Their greatest piece in my opinion is the insulated snap shirt. Love that thing, I even gave one for wearing every day.
I have equal amounts of FL gear but when I go backpacking in the mountains KUIU is all I take except for the FL socks and the FL marino boxers.
I found this interview with Jason Hairston very interesting talking about the pros/cons of merino wool vs synthetics. What you mentioned about the synthetic-material drawing sweat away from your arms I think is explained in this clip

Last edited:
I have a lot of Sitka products and some Kuiu. I like them both, but I think the durability of Sitka, at least in my experience, is much better.
Don’t have any First Lite products so can’t comment on those.

I get sitka at prodeal cost and still own much more kuiu. The kuiu guide pants with vents (sitka doesnt have) are best cool weather pant i have found. I have a yukon set and even with annual treatment there not as waterproof as supposed to be but material is durable and stretchs better than anything else. The pro down and merino are great but lightweght merino does tear(heavier no problems) but regardless works great. The bottom insulation layers with full length leg zippers and waist system are worth there weight in gold as easy are they are to put on/off in field. Sizes are more tricky with kuiu, they have 2 different stlye fits so understand what your ordering. I have sitka mountain jacket getting warrenty zipper replacement now, only kuiu warrenty i had was a pack strap started seperating. I texted them a pic and 3 days later had a new set of shoulder straps delievered no cost or hassle. Dont know FL but i beat the hell out of both kuiu and sitka both are good stuff.

I have thousands of dollars of all KUIU. I used other brands and was never happy. I started with a few KUIU items and over the last few years have replaced all my other hunting items. My buddy thought I was crazy, until he tried a pair of the Tiburon in the hot weather, then tried some of my stuff in the cold weather. He is now in the proces of switching everything over. I spend 50 plus days a year hunting/scouting/hiking and have never ever had a hole, rip or break on any gear. I hunt in spring, summer, fall, winter and use it for hiking. Hell I even wear Attack pants to the office.

there is a great KUIU buy/sell/trade page on Faceboook. I have gotten many items from it.

But that's just my opinion.

I have the peloton 240. I use it as a mid layer or as outer layer depending on weather. Wife has threatened to commandeer it.
Willing to try a pant against my Sitka just to have second pair.

I am in need of a puffy for down below 20 degrees.

Their pants are great, all of them both in fabric durability and fit. Their gaiters are nowhere near as durable as the gold standard OR goretex ones, but they are way quieter and lighter and I think they‘re worth the trade off. I thrashed a pair of them and complained and they sent me a brand new pair. Some of their mids and base layers, meh, they are fine. I seem to have a lot of piling on some of the garments and I don’t like the functionality on some of them. I haven’t tried their down but my hunting partner wears it head to toe and he seems to like it. It’s all pretty good stuff. I mostly wear Patagonia for base layer anymore and if you haven’t added a Capaliene Merino Air Hoody to your kit I think that’s the best base layer thingy out there.

Great stuff! Agreed though, I end up in my merino wool top on warm days and it has taken a beating. Not unexpectedly. Order size up as it seems to run small.

I have 2 sets of the attack pants and guide jackets, plus the Super Down Pro jacket, Yukon gaiters and scree gaiters. No complaints. All are comfortable, light and durable.

I have a few things from Kuiu. The Peloton 97 stuff is really sweet. It is not super durable, but its insanely lightweight for how warm it is. I also like the Peloton 240 as a mid/outer layer. Its essentially a windproof fleece which is pretty unique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back