Hard shell pants?

I’m looking to see what everyone has to say about their favorite hard shell pants. I’ve got the rest of my kuiu and first lite gear about where I want it but I can’t figure out what to do about hard shell pants. I don’t need a pure rain pant but something that will handle intermittent rain and sitting in the snow here and there. I know wet snow is pretty hard to sit on and stay dry but even when I sit on a pad my legs will get wet. I plan on using these for backpack late season hunts. Right now I just used a kuiu guide pant with base layers and have to switch over to my snowboard pants. They don’t pack well and don’t go on without removing your boots.

The tradecraft pants are 90 plus tax with free shipping it’s a 360 pant normally.

I've been super happy with OR rain pants. I get about 3 years out of a pair. The dwarf bitch eats them up eventually as it does crocodile gaiters... Some days I wear them all day long. My last hunt I wore them 6 out of 10 days. They have near FL zips and articulated kneesanr pack down to nothing. I've had a couple different models but they are the same more or less. I've never wanted anything more. They run maybe $120 and will be on sale soon.

Soft shells suck. Bulky don't breath well, aren't realy that warm or waterproof. I'm not sure what they are good for to be honest.

I've been super happy with OR rain pants. I get about 3 years out of a pair. The dwarf bitch eats them up eventually as it does crocodile gaiters... Some days I wear them all day long. My last hunt I wore them 6 out of 10 days. They have near FL zips and articulated kneesanr pack down to nothing. I've had a couple different models but they are the same more or less. I've never wanted anything more. They run maybe $120 and will be on sale soon.

Soft shells suck. Bulky don't breath well, aren't realy that warm or waterproof. I'm not sure what they are good for to be honest.
I have to admit, I google searched dwarf bitch…..haha still no clue what that is. My google search didn’t end well.

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly.
For packing rain pants I use Frog Togs. They go on and come off over my hunting boots and weigh Nothing. Very water-resistant, I also carry a matching jacket. An added plus is they STOP the wind.
Early fall and late spring, I use them as a top layer all day long by themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/frogg-toggs-...t=&hvlocphy=9021219&hvtargid=pla-761658337115

There Cheap and a lot more durable than they look or feel.
Don't Poo Poo them because of the price.
My brother swears by these. I guess I kinda just assumed they didn’t hold up well. For the price, they are probably worth a try.

I’m looking to see what everyone has to say about their favorite hard shell pants. I’ve got the rest of my kuiu and first lite gear about where I want it but I can’t figure out what to do about hard shell pants. I don’t need a pure rain pant but something that will handle intermittent rain and sitting in the snow here and there. I know wet snow is pretty hard to sit on and stay dry but even when I sit on a pad my legs will get wet. I plan on using these for backpack late season hunts. Right now I just used a kuiu guide pant with base layers and have to switch over to my snowboard pants. They don’t pack well and don’t go on without removing your boots.
The tradecraft pants would be of more use as glassing pants when not doing a lot of hiking. They have the full side zippers so you can still open them up to dump some heat as needed. I’m not sure I would take this to walk into thick brush these are meant more to keep you dry and provide some warmth.

Sorry for the late responses. I was gone from service for a few more days thinking about why hardshell pants would be helpful for more than just chasing elk. Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m going to do a little more research and give a pair a try.
View attachment 188425

Beautiful. Looks a bit like Mt Baker but I can't quite place the spot. If you're in WA, pm me. I'm on the mountain rescue team that covers Mt Adams, and it would be fun to connect with a fellow mountaineer-hunter.

On topic, I love my Outdoor Research Foray pants. Hard to beat goretex + OR's lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back