PEAX Equipment

Hard shell pants?

MITCHMO

I’m looking to see what everyone has to say about their favorite hard shell pants. I’ve got the rest of my kuiu and first lite gear about where I want it but I can’t figure out what to do about hard shell pants. I don’t need a pure rain pant but something that will handle intermittent rain and sitting in the snow here and there. I know wet snow is pretty hard to sit on and stay dry but even when I sit on a pad my legs will get wet. I plan on using these for backpack late season hunts. Right now I just used a kuiu guide pant with base layers and have to switch over to my snowboard pants. They don’t pack well and don’t go on without removing your boots.

Next to bacon pants, this is the best Hard Shell I know of.

Instant Chocolate Hard Shell

Or best of both worlds

See the source image

Last edited:
Military goretex bottoms. Mine go over my boots, price is right, and you can pool water on them when new, and they'll pack way down well. Pretty water resistant.

They don't pack down as well as a thin rain pant but they are more robust

Running good rain gear over your regular hunting clothes is a great way to save weight and also have a solid waterproof clothing option. As long as your layers are enough to keep you warm enough you should never have to take a soft shell jacket in anymore.

There's not a chance in hell I'm packing ski pants or snow pants into the bc....

I think stone glacier has a great layering setup. All the way from their long John's or liner up through their puffy and soft shell to to their rain gear. It's a great way to vent out and switch clothing when needed.

There's lots of great mountaineering options don't half ass it buy once cry once atleast for a few years.

I’m looking to see what everyone has to say about their favorite hard shell pants. I’ve got the rest of my kuiu and first lite gear about where I want it but I can’t figure out what to do about hard shell pants. I don’t need a pure rain pant but something that will handle intermittent rain and sitting in the snow here and there. I know wet snow is pretty hard to sit on and stay dry but even when I sit on a pad my legs will get wet. I plan on using these for backpack late season hunts. Right now I just used a kuiu guide pant with base layers and have to switch over to my snowboard pants. They don’t pack well and don’t go on without removing your boots.
Softshell is generally the late season go to as they are wet resistant.

Hardshell pants are generally synonymous with rain pants, ie, uninsulated waterproof shell with full length zips. Most resort snow pants are 10,000k and would suck for hiking, mountaineering pants are that different from rain pants with the exception of being more durable.

I'd look at what people are using for ski touring, as far as from the hunting genre I really like sitka's downpour pants. I have a pair that I layer with, the brushed face is nice and quiet.

Softshell is generally the late season go to as they are wet resistant.

Hardshell pants are generally synonymous with rain pants, ie, uninsulated waterproof shell with full length zips. Most resort snow pants are 10,000k and would suck for hiking, mountaineering pants are that different from rain pants with the exception of being more durable.

I'd look at what people are using for ski touring, as far as from the hunting genre I really like sitka's downpour pants. I have a pair that I layer with, the brushed face is nice and quiet.
Perfect, I think the ski touring pants could be ideal.

Military goretex bottoms. Mine go over my boots, price is right, and you can pool water on them when new, and they'll pack way down well. Pretty water resistant.

They don't pack down as well as a thin rain pant but they are more robust
This is what I wear, too. I have two sets so when it wears out, I still have another for several more years.

I second the soft shell option and carry rain gear for the real tough times. I’ve been using then Outdoor Research Cirque II and love them.

If you're set against having a true rain pant, and already have Kuiu stuff, why not look at the Axis or Talus hybrids? I have the Talus and they are waterproof below the knee and in the seat. Sounds kind of like what you are looking for, and a comfy pant. I chose the Talus over the Axis because of the kneepads.

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly.
For packing rain pants I use Frog Togs. They go on and come off over my hunting boots and weigh Nothing. Very water-resistant, I also carry a matching jacket. An added plus is they STOP the wind.
Early fall and late spring, I use them as a top layer all day long by themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/frogg-toggs-...t=&hvlocphy=9021219&hvtargid=pla-761658337115

There Cheap and a lot more durable than they look or feel.
Don't Poo Poo them because of the price.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back