Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Copper Anyone?

I don't have to shoot copper. No condors in Montana. All my rifles and the loads they shoot with jacketed lead bullets are are proven. If people feel better shooting copper, that's great. It's not something I'm concerned about. I have a good friend that manufactures his own line of monos. My rifles like his bullets, and I can get all I want for nothing. As you said Rob, it's a choice. mtmuley

mtmuley, We do have Eagles, vultures, Hawks, etc. They all die from ingesting lead.

I too grew up on wild meat, and my family use it heavily. That is good enough reason for me to go copper by itself. I went mainly because the bullets work better in my rifles, especially with the velocity I load them at.

What kind of shot are you guys using for upland game? ;)
I've attached the study I referenced earlier. It suggests that even lead bird shot will get into your bloodstream. I only know of this because it came up in a conversation I was having with one of the authors. I don't know if the results have been repeated, but it gives you something to think about. I prefer my meat unleaded....

abstract:
We evaluated the preliminary impact of the Canadian "non-toxic" shotshell policy, for the hunting of migratory game birds, by examining blood-lead levels of First Nations people living in sub-arctic Canada. If the use of lead shotshell was the major source of lead exposure as has been postulated and the ban on the use of lead shotshell for hunting migratory birds was immediately effective, we would expect that blood-lead levels would be typical of a geographic area remote from industrialization. Our findings present some concern in that approximately 18% of the 196 First Nations people examined had blood-lead levels > or =100 microg/L.

Attachments

• Use of Lead Isotopes to Analyze Blood Lead Levels in Canadian Hunters.pdf
    204.5 KB · Views: 158
Rob- I am aware of that study. Just wondering if the non-lead bullet folks are using non-lead shot for species other than where mandated? I'm guessing many/most aren't...

Rob- I am aware of that study. Just wondering if the non-lead bullet folks are using non-lead shot for species other than where mandated? I'm guessing many/most aren't...

I don't. I still use lead for upland where allowed. Non-toxic for 2.5" chambered guns is about $55/box for the cheap stuff. I'm getting set up to reload shotshells and will use non-toxic then.

But my reason for using non-toxic isn't because of me consuming lead, it's what it does to raptors. In that regard, you remove the entire carcass of the bird and there isn't anything left for scavenging, with the exception of the rare lost bird.

I don't. I still use lead for upland where allowed. Non-toxic for 2.5" chambered guns is about $55/box for the cheap stuff. I'm getting set up to reload shotshells and will use non-toxic then.

But my reason for using non-toxic isn't because of me consuming lead, it's what it does to raptors. In that regard, you remove the entire carcass of the bird and there isn't anything left for scavenging, with the exception of the rare lost bird.
I can see that logic easy enough.

I was pretty gung-ho on getting rid of lead, but 1, couldn't get them to shoot that well out of my rifle, and 2, am a little down on their lack of expansion unless you break bone. I prefer lung shots, with no bones broken or meat damaged. I've since retreated back to shooting 160 partitions. I like to see something that can break bone and pass through if necessary, but also offers some expansion if no bones are hit or at longer ranges. Maybe the bullet manufacturers are working on it (?)... Also, I can see that I need to start reloading. Probably won't be long before I switch back to lead free, but would just like to see something better than the current offerings.

Crittergitter has me shooting Barnes Lrx and my groups are great with those but I can't duplicate the accuracy of the Berger 180 vld. We went out the other morning and I only had 3 to shoot but until I have a failure with them I think I'll stick with them. He likes to shoot the copper out to 500 and then thinks the Bergers perform better. I've heard a friend say that he had the Barnes just pencil through a cow elk with little expansion. The more I read stuff on the internet I'm convinced you can find someone who has had a bad experience with every bullet no matter the brand. So I'm not sure you can put much weight on that.
1/4" at 100
target1.jpg

2, am a little down on their lack of expansion unless you break bone. I prefer lung shots, with no bones broken or meat damaged. I've since retreated back to shooting 160 partitions. I like to see something that can break bone and pass through if necessary, but also offers some expansion if no bones are hit or at longer ranges.

I'm curious what made you think you were having expansion problems?

Anyone have an issue with bullet length being to long causing you to compact powder more than lead bullets. The magazine in my old Smith &Wesson 1500 in 270 win. is a little tight for even my 150 gr. Partition loads.

Anyone have an issue with bullet length being to long causing you to compact powder more than lead bullets. The magazine in my old Smith &Wesson 1500 in 270 win. is a little tight for even my 150 gr. Partition loads.
Use a lighter weight. Some writers have tested penetration between various mono bullets and Partitions. The mono's penetrate the same as a Partition that weighs 1.2X as much. A 130gr Barnes would penetrate about like a 156gr Partition.

I was pretty gung-ho on getting rid of lead, but 1, couldn't get them to shoot that well out of my rifle, and 2, am a little down on their lack of expansion unless you break bone. I prefer lung shots, with no bones broken or meat damaged. I've since retreated back to shooting 160 partitions. I like to see something that can break bone and pass through if necessary, but also offers some expansion if no bones are hit or at longer ranges. Maybe the bullet manufacturers are working on it (?)... Also, I can see that I need to start reloading. Probably won't be long before I switch back to lead free, but would just like to see something better than the current offerings.

Shoot light for caliber solids and they'll expand. I use 140 TSX from a 7STW going close to 3500 and they expand fine on Antelope with non bone hits.

Even copper plated lead shot is better than plain lead shot. This is directly from an MD that has a lot of knowledge on lead poisoning. I use copper plated bird shot exclusively now.

I also used Barnes TSX exclusively and have for over 10 years. The studies were eye opening.

JueMO4tl.jpg

This 6mm TTSX was 80 grains with the plastic tip. I shoot them because they shoot really accurately, do well on game and they are non toxic. The concept of bond dissimilar metals doesn't sit well with me after enough metallurgy lectures.

I shoot the 130 gr TTSX out of a Browning A bolt .300 wsm and my 3 shots groups are all sub moa out to 400 yrds (that's as far as I have shot paper) and mine are going 3404-3409 fps.

I have used Barnes TSX in my R700 -06 for close to 20 yrs.
I ran out of the Fed. ammo I had used (stopped making them) and switched back to a lead core Nosler Accubond . The Accubonds shoot as good or better in my rifle and have almost the weight retention. Almost.
I found lead pieces in exit channel of this years deer from spine shot. Lost a small bit of backstrap.
I have all my brass and hope to load it with Barnes 165's again. Love those 3/4" exit channels.....empty of lead,or anything.

I've decided to switch to copper after destroying a deer shoulder with my partitions over the weekend. I know the bullet held together well because the wound through the exiting shoulder was still a good hole, but I can't help but think that there was some fragmentation. With my main goal of hunting being a great way to feed my family, I can't see a reason why not to switch to the TTSXs if they do shoot well.

So, I'm going to try out 150s for an elk/deer load going forward. Would anyone have an issue with trying to anchor an oryx with a 150 out of the 30-06? Or should I stick with my 165g partitions/accubonds?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back