Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cooper Jackson Hunter

Muleyfanatic

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Cooper Jackson Hunter in either 22lr or 22 mag. I am just having a hard time justifying around $1800 on a rimfire rifle. I want a 22 that will give me basically one hole accuracy at 50 yards and less than 1/2" at a 100 yards; so that I can take the equation of the rifle out of it and know that a flier is caused by the shooter. I am into long range shooting and figure that this would be a less expensive of a way to practice proper shooting technique. I would also possibly use the rifle for small game (squirrels and maybe some ground hogs around the house). It is not helping right now that i am working with a guy that has one and is trying to convince me that it is not that much money for a rifle when you consider how many times you would use it as compared to your larger rifles for big game. So either I need someone to talk common sense into me or push me over the edge.
http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun-room/cooper-firearms-model-57-jackson-hunter-22lr-fluted

So, what does $1800 get you?

I was thinking about my Winchester 69A today. It doesn't group worth a hoot for me. It could be my fault, but I wonder what it would do with a decent trigger.

What about getting a secondhand Sako p94 with the varmint profile barrel....lovely rimfires to use, and eagerly sought by those wanting to purchase one...me included..

If you want one I say get one. If that's really what you want, you won't be satisfied with something lesser even if it performs the same. Good thing about a 22lr it is affordable to shoot and your grandkids won't shoot the barrel out! ;) That said, another company I'd look into for a 22lr is Anschutz. They have quite a reputation and you can often find them a bit cheaper than a Cooper. For example...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/982699774/1416_D_HB_22LR_23_Heavy_Bbl_NIB.htm

I will have a very nice, fancy, accurate 22lr bolt someday...

Find a Remington 541 T or S. Super accuracy from a 22 and it feels like gun. They can be had used for $5-650.00

Or look for an older Browning.

If you get it, you will never need another rimfire! I am looking at getting a Jackson Hunter or Excalibur in 6.5 Creedmoor in a few months, it will be my go-to predator and deer gun. You can't go wrong with a Cooper and the resale value is AWESOME! Get it! Get it! Get it! I

I have a CZ 452(?) not sure exact model number but with good match ammo it will group very closes to what you are looking for. Then again, if you can come up with 1800 for a cooper, you only live once.

Going to brew over this for a week or two and see if I still have the urge. I have been considering other 22'; but keep coming back to the cooper. I can't tell why but I do. It would be nice if I could get one that is identical to HS precision rifles so that I could have exactly the same feel from the 22 to the 7mm and 6.5/284 but from everything I look at this is gonna be the closest.

I agree with 1_pointer on the Anschutz 1416d or 1517. Been around lots of Anschutz 22lr and they are usually winning the matches, granted they are the full-blown target models, but the 2 mentioned above are built on their Model 64 target action.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back