Cooler size

Muskeez

What size cooler would you guys recommend for transporting one bull elk boned out plus ice ?

My Wyoming bull I took last year would not fit in 1 cooler with Ice. I had a 120 quart and was thinking it might fit in but it would not. I ended up just using two with dry Ice and it worked great.

A 150, if the elk is properly boned, can hold all the meat of most-sized elk, but there won't be room for any ice. To solve that problem, we'll usually dump the boned meat in a cooler, then pay someone to hold the cooler in their walk-in freezer to get it solid for the ride home. Works for us, but 'ishootdasmallones' is right - they are a bear to handle. Another tip, zip 2 sleeping bags together and slide the entire cooler inside for additional insulation. Never had one begin to thaw even on a cross-continental road trip.

JMHO. I would opt for two smaller ones. That is a lot of meat to pack into one space and be able to cool it deep enough interior wise.

Didn't want to sound too optimistic Clay, but Randy is thinking we better have enough cooler space for 2! :) We are thinking a total of 300-350 quarts worth of cooler space just in case we shoot two. Any thoughts on that amount of space?
Thanks to everyone for their input!
Clayton

If you have the space to bring it with, I suggest a smaller deep freezer and generator, especially if you are going to be there for a prolonged period of time where going "into town" isn't an option.

6" lag bolts :hump:

As long as you don't mind the lag sticking out the other side of the wall? 2x4 is about 3.5 inches along with drywall on both sides would be about 4.5 inches total for the wall thickness. 6" might be a bit long for that application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back