Caribou Gear Tarp

Meat Care on Extended or Multi-State Hunting Trips

KayakMacGyver

What do you guys do with meat on extended and/or multi state hunting trips? Example…I’m hunting in state A and kill a bull on day 1. With 2 weeks of vacation time left, I’d love to head to another state and try for another elk or an archery antelope. This scenario has played out for me before and the logistics of dealing with my elk meat when going to destination #2 deterred me.

I’ve used a walk-in cooler before and hate the fact that after a few days you end up with quite a bit of wasted meat (due to the crust that forms on from the dry air). The walk-in cooler was also at location A and they don’t seem to be super convenient to find.

I’ve also used a processor in the area I’m hunting to freeze my quartered meat so a partner and I could keep hunting. This worked extremely well, but we were limited to proximity of location A. It also seems like a lot of processors aren’t too keen on the idea of letting you use their freezer space if you aren’t getting your game fully processed there. I ended up paying for the guy to debone my meat, which I thought was totally fair, but others I’ve called in the past weren’t interested in any type of storage arrangement.

It seems like my most flexible option is to pack the meat down in ice in coolers and allow it to drain. Living in Florida, this was how I grew up hunting. I don’t believe it has a negative impact on the flavor of the meat, but it definitely changes the visual appeal. I’ve put the meat in contractor bags to isolate it from the ice, but after a couple days the meat ends up sitting in its own blood. Seems like this might be the best option, though not my preferred approach.

Any more ideas out there that I haven’t already mentioned? I’ve always processed my own meat and prefer to keep it that way. Hoping someone has a suggestion or way to deal with this “inconvenience”.

I have great luck with chest type deep freezers and a super small genny. One thing that I've started doing that really helps is to put a cheap remote thermometer (can get on amazon for like $20) in the freezer and DO NOT open it. This will allow for long periods of no electricity needed and you can re-freeze at the hotel if you stay in one or by running the genny. Once frozen hard meat will stay frozen in a deep freeze unplugged for days at a time if not opened to let in ambient temp air.

Even though you already mentioned I think drop meat off at processor and have them process, freeze and store until you can return is probably the ideal situation for extended trips. I know you want to cut the meat yourself but few processors want to store your meat for you to process later. The problem would be if you shoot an elk in CO and have a tag in ID having to return back to CO to pick it up. Shipping meat is expensive.

Option 2) Deep freeze on a trailer with generator. Run freezer until things are very cold or frozen. Then run generator for a bit daily to maintain cold.

Option 3) Dry ice in good cooler. It may be beneficial to chunk meat up into smaller pieces and put in ziplock bags. Toss bones if you don't want them. You'd probably need to cut your trip a bit shorter.

Option 4) Get friends in all the state you want to hunt and beg them for freezer space.

I did a two week antelope/deer hunt a while back and had a similar situation. Killed the pronghorn early.
I set up a folding table with all my supplies (knives, butcher paper, etc.) and processed the buck just like at home.
Packed the wrapped meat with dry ice /wet ice in a cooler. It all was pretty near frozen when I opened it up 10 or so days later on at home.
Be sure to minimize airspace in the cooler. I wrapped it in a sleeping bag too.

Lots of solutions but must understand how each work effectively. I have used coolers with wet ice, dry ice, freezers, left hanging in tree, cold storage units, taxidermists freezers, processors(never again), we even had a lady freeze some stuff for us for few days while a bear skull got beattled. Lots of solutions just have to be resourcesful and few things you need to be equipped right way. On long multi-day drives dry ice is a easy solution most dont understand but has become really expensive lately.

Last edited:
chest freezer in trailer or back of truck is the way to go,,i use 7 cu ft freezer size,,1 year i even took 2 freezers,1 in back of the truck and 1 in the trailer on a multi state elk,deer antelope combo trip,,1 generater will run 2 freezers no problem,,you can also just load other hunting gear in them until you need the space for meat on return trip.i also put the bagged up quarters in "large space saver bags" to suck the air out and keep the surface from browning from frozen air exposure,,works great.

I used a Coleman extreme cooler for 10 days after shooting a wyoming Antelope on the way to a hot arizona youth elk and mule deer hunt temps in 90's and back to Ohio. Randy did a youtube video on this. Some keys get the meat cool and dry layer by leaving quarters out overnight to the cool air. Placed in cooler with 1 inch boards that keep meat up off bottom of cooler and water to drain. I drill a half moon on bottom side so water can flow out and not act like a dam. I put the meat back in game bags. Get block ice to put on top and place in garbage bag. It almost always leaks so I started putting a tiny hole in corner of bag and have that way to side and low so water won't drip on meat. Close cooler duct tape seal.

LEAVE SHUT!
I keep out of sun and in shade put sleeping bag over it. Drain any water every night when get back to camp. Also LEAVE SHUT as a tip. I like the idea of a remote thermometer on the meat. I have also built a box put the thick foam insulation sheets in it. Put a whole moose quartered in ice on top to fill and drove home from Canada for a few days.
Here is antelope drying/cooling from midnight to 6 am in Denver night temp 44 deg in driveway. Cooler was clean place to put meat at Aunt's place. 100 qt cooler and a 70 for 2 Antelope and 6 or 7 blocks of ice.

20201001_023932.jpg

Last edited:
I'm planning on driving to Prudhoe Bay in August in hopes of getting a caribou. On the way home I plan on taking my time hunting waterfowl and grouse in several Canadian Provinces.
I also plan on camping with very little hotel stays.
Therefore I plan on taking my caribou to a processor in Fairbanks and turning the majority of it into Summer Sausage and leaving just enough fresh choice cuts to eat along the way.

Freezer and generator. Dry ice works too but is expensive and one or two trips using dry ice you could have purchased a cheap 7 cubic foot freezer. Small inverter generators like generac a 2200 or 2500 work great for this and they can be used for many things.

Freezer and generator. Dry ice works too but is expensive and one or two trips using dry ice you could have purchased a cheap 7 cubic foot freezer. Small inverter generators like generac a 2200 or 2500 work great for this and they can be used for many things.
Thank you

How long does it take for elk meat to spoil in warmer temperatures in September and October?
Quick, a day or two if it is warm and meat can't cool down. Or if it warms in the sun.
On the other hand if temps are right I have kept quarters for days. Freeze at night is just right. Shade.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back