Newfoundland moose hunt - Cooler Question

deer_shooter

My wife I will be leaving for Newfoundland in about a month and I have been agonizing over cooler space. Should we get lucky, I want to bring the meat home and butcher it. I have a friend that has a processing shop so I have access to walk in refrigeration and all the tools necessary. My concern is getting it home and whether I’ll have enough cooler space in my truck. I have a 200qt marine cooler and two 120qt coolers plus a couple 65’s. We are both hunting so its not unrealistic to assume we could have 2 moose to deal with. In that case, my thought is front quarters, loins, back straps and trimmings go in the 120’s and hindquarters go in the 200. Do you think I should bring another 120 just in case? Or, am I out of my mind and should I just pay a processor there to cut and pack it?

For a moose I would bring a minimum of a (4) 120+ quart coolers.

Also, you WILL HAVE TO take the bone out or there is no way you will get it to fit. Been there....

Never used a 200 Q cooler. Sounds nice though. lol

Thanks for the reply. To be clear (4) 120’s for one moose or 2?
I found the 200 at cabelas years ago. I brought 5 iced down quartered antelope home from Wyoming in it.

My wife and I returned with two moose from newfoundland, boneless. One really big bull and a younger one.

We had a 7 cube foot chest freezer, 2 120 qt coolers and 2 65 quart coolers. It all just barely fit. The chest freezer ran on a generator

after further review, I was wrong (said no ref ever...)

First off, I forgot that there was a Woodland Caribou in the mix! It was the chest freezer, just 1 120 quart cooler, 2 65 quart coolers and 2 48 quart coolers and a 35 quart cooler. The hides for the Caribou and the big moose were in a garbage bag and packed with ice.

Here is all the meat from both of our bull Moose (Caribou was shot on day 2 and had already been flown out):
1002181844_HDR.jpg

1003181009a.jpg

and here is the packed truck:
1007181445_HDR.jpg

after further review, I was wrong (said no ref ever...)

First off, I forgot that there was a Woodland Caribou in the mix! It was the chest freezer, just 1 120 quart cooler, 2 65 quart coolers and 2 48 quart coolers and a 35 quart cooler. The hides for the Caribou and the big moose were in a garbage bag and packed with ice.

Here is all the meat from both of our bull Moose (Caribou was shot on day 2 and had already been flown out):
View attachment 290334

View attachment 290335

and here is the packed truck:
View attachment 290336
That’s a well loaded truck! Congrats and thanks for the info

We used a freezer in a trailer to bring my moose and 2 bear back. Canada has plug-ins at all the hotels we stopped at. Worked well.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back