Cooked some things

jryoung

Been in the kitchen a bit lately trying to make use of what is in my freezer and open up some space now that it is filled with elk and cycle out some of the old and test some of the new. I have 9 turkeys to butcher next week so I need some room.

Last Saturday we had some friends over and I cooked them elk tongue, California halibut, wild boar and my second to last piece of bison from the Henry mountains. We had an awesome day fishing for halibut earlier this summer and my son pulled most of the fish over the rail. He really had the hot rod....not bad for his first time out for halibut and striper.

Pickled wapiti tongue "tacos", onion relish, jalapeno.
IMG_20191116_180233.jpg

Cheese plate, smoked salmon, country boar pate, fruits and nuts (this is CA after all).

IMG_20191116_180249.jpg

California halibut, poblano pepper, dried sea palm, micro scallion.

IMG_20191116_191133.jpg

Chanterelle stuffed boar loin, bok choy and fennel fronds.

IMG_20191116_194750.jpg

I'm going to miss telling the story of bison while being able to serve it. Over the past year, every time that I have shared this bison from Randy's hunt I have told the story of bison in America, and how it was the catalyst for Grinnell and Roosevelt and others to act. All of my non-hunting friends have been amazed, they certainly know of the extirpation of bison, but don't know what has happened afterwords. On this night it led to a discussion about the de-listing of grizzly bear, on of my friends doesn't want to see them hunted, but now is a little closer to the fence knowing that WYGF has spend $50M of hunter dollars over the past 20 years towards bears, and that hunting is the lowest item on the mortality list should a season be approved and many many more bears will be killed by humans.

Braised bison neck and jus, kabocha squash, oyster mushroom, roasted watermelon radish.

IMG_20191116_203530.jpg

Multiples of four.....4 dudes, 8 women, 16 bottles of wine.

IMG_20191116_203817.jpg

This past week I've dug into my elk a bit more. The thing I love most about wild game, especially big game is the consistent inconsistencies between animals, no two are the same. This elk is no different, it has a strong nutty taste to it, unlike any elk I've ever had. Could it be from it's diet? The arrow and underlying infection it carried? Who knows, but I do know it's fricken delicious.

Love my fancy food, but also love a good burger surrounded by gluten.

IMG_20191118_180203.jpg

little man approves

IMG_20191118_183341.jpg

I roasted the upper (neck side) of the backstrap.....I'm sure it has a proper name, but I can only name 5 parts of an animal. Backstrap, tenderloin, shank, neck and everything else is just meat. I roasted it in cast iron after searing over charcoal, made for awesome sammiches the next day too.

IMG_20191120_210110.jpg

IMG_20191120_204716.jpg

jr's food threads are the only time I can decipher a foreign language....I feel classier reading them multiple times.

I feel so inadequate as a cook. I wrapped one of my elk tenderloins in bacon the other day and grilled it. I was proud of myself then, now, not so much.

Delicious looking food, sir. You are talented!

Your presentation skills are top notch...

Also

Intrigued
View attachment 120695

Terrified... I believe your home has been invaded by a decepticon

View attachment 120696

It's a canvas global map that we update with pins for our family adventures.

The faucet is a bit over the top, but my wife designed our entire house....I just picked the stove and fridge LOL.

Holy heck that looks delicious man! When is the next tasting? I’ll drive up! 😆

Over charcoal?What! How about some Red Oak!😁😁😁

Umm... I see I missed my yearly invite again. :(
Nice work, Looks fabulous!

Back