Yeti GOBOX Collection

Conservation Groups

There are a good amount of volunteer opportunities from river clean-ups, to guzzler building, to juniper removal projects, to wood duck box building opportunities, to bird banding.... Many of these can be done through the above mentioned national organizations, but I would also encourage you to reach out to local land trusts. Local groups like land trusts and state Departments of Fish and Game (DFG, DFW, DNR) are often doing a lot more hands on activities like invasive species removal, trail building, wildlife viewing, and teaching. Additionally, many of the Federal Wildlife Refuges have a Friends of the Refuge groups. These groups usually organize volunteer projects, so if you hunt on a federal refuge already, its a great opportunity to give back. Our California DFW teaches kids to fish in urban settings, mostly through stocking park ponds with trout for example. Many of these programs are free or an minimal cost to families. Additionally, volunteer opportunities like these are a great place to meet other hunters and anglers and have led me to some great friends and hunting opportunities on both public and private grounds.

Happy birthday! I'm a member of a few orgs like RMEF, DU, etc. I wonder what percentage of the forum is a part of which, if any, conservation groups. Would be kind of cool to see.

There seems to be some sort of poo poo attitude towards MDF. What is everyone's beef with them?
Think I remember reading that the president of the ND Petroleum Council, Ron Ness, is also on the board for MDF.

He may have a lot of passion for mule deer conservation, but the field he is in can put him in conflict with mulie issues. Other than that I couldn't comment on the guy.

Think I remember reading that the president of the ND Petroleum Council, Ron Ness, is also on the board for MDF.

Oh crap!!

Board of Directors
  • Greg Sheehan. Salt Lake City, UT. Kirstie Pike. Gunnison, CO.
  • Adam Weatherby. Sheridan, WY. DAN HARRISON. Grand Junction, CO. Kelli Poole. Tooele UT.
  • CJ Buck. Post Falls, ID. Andrew McKean. Glasgow, MT. Bob Jacobs. Flagstaff, AZ.
  • Chad Schearer. Great Falls, MT. Ron Ness. Bismarck, ND.

I worked with the MDF on several conservation projects in AZ, and always thought highly of them. Now of course this was on the local level, so take it for what it's worth.

I worked with the MDF on several conservation projects in AZ, and always thought highly of them. Now of course this was on the local level, so take it for what it's worth.
There is an article by Jim Heffelfinger in the latest MDF mag. There is also content from WAFWA and The Mule Deer Working Group. I assume that this content comes from him as well. With his credentials and "Friend of Fin" status, things can't be too weird at MDF.
I am a member.
I do not think having a petroleum guy on the board is out of line. Governor Mead's Wyoming task force achieved a lot by getting all the Sage Grouse players around the table.

Last edited:
There is an article by Jim Heffelfinger in the latest MDF mag. THere is also content from WAFWA and The Mule Deer Working Group. I assume that this content comes from him as well. With his credentials and "Friend of Fin" status, things can't be too weird at MDF.
I am a member.
I do not think having a petroleum guy on the board is out of line. Governor Mead's Wyoming task force achieved a lot by getting all the Sage Grouse players around the table.

That's why I didn't jump to any conclusions about his appointment, other than my observation of what could be conflicts of interest. I don't know what goes on at the board meetings and don't know Ness personally, he would only be one vote out of many on anything they do. Probably provides some valuable insight in working with O&G developers.

We enjoyed our state archery association for a while. My son helped a couple of years at a summer camp for cancer surviving children. The association would set up an archery range for the kids.

There seems to be some sort of poo poo attitude towards MDF. What is everyone's beef with them?
I think their partnership with SFW on the Expo was a source of contention with many from this forum. Especially after the RMEF bidding fiasco to host the Expo.

There is an article by Jim Heffelfinger in the latest MDF mag. There is also content from WAFWA and The Mule Deer Working Group. I assume that this content comes from him as well. With his credentials and "Friend of Fin" status, things can't be too weird at MDF.
I am a member.
Yeah that name pulls quite a bit of respect in AZ, and other places. Good man, true asset to the biology of the SW

I know Kelli Poole of the MDF board, and she is a wonderful biologist, hunter and person.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back