Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Conservation Groups

HCPT

Didn't know the best forum to post this in, so if it needs moved feel free.

I am really wanting to get more involved with conservation and have been looking into some different groups. What I am really looking for is a good group that I can get my family involved with, where it is not just donating money or going to banquets, but where we can go out and do projects and be boots on the ground. I really desire to raise my kids up with a strong conservation ethic.

The groups that have probably caught my attention the most are RMEF (I love elk), Mule Deer Foundation (I love Mule Deer and worry about their status), BHA (I love being in the back country as well as hunting and fishing).

I live in northern Utah on the southeast Idaho border. I worry about RMEF and Mule Deer Foundation because I'm not sure they do much locally, from what I understand the BHA around here is primarily the USU college chapter. I may get hammered for this one, but I do know the SFW actually does a lot of project work around here, but really worry about their pay to play underlying tenets.

Sorry for the long post, but would love some input from those of you who may have a similar interest who have personal experience.

can’t go wrong with RMEF or BHA. You have a state chapter of BHA. I would reach out to them and see what issues they are addressing and how you can help out.

RMEF is incredible and probably the elite Species sepcific conservation group. I am proud to be a member and there are no shortage of projects. MDF is also a great group, im a member, but less involved only due to not having infinite time.

Last edited:
Great news ! BHA and RMEF are excellent. Here in NY our local chapter of BHA is very hands on and will provide numerous opportunities though out the year to get involved on a personal level. I would reach out to the local chapters of both organizations and get feel for what fits best for you and your family. No matter what you chose the important part is getting involved!

BHA is an excellent organization who is doing work at furthering the integrity of the backcountry experience like few others.

TRCP is a good organization too.

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society, Wild Sheep Foundation, Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance, and the RMEF are all great organizations with the RMEF being a powerhouse in terms of habitat conservation.

Keep It Public is an organization that seems to have cool conservation based volunteer opportunities.

I don’t agree with any of them all the time, but on net and I think all of the above organizations are good. I can’t say the same for SFW

Thanks for the shoutout Bret.

I coordinate the Conservation work events for Keep It Public. Last year we had Campouts in Montana, Idaho, Washington, Utah, Arizona, and California. We haven’t been able to organize anything extremely cool like a sheep capture but we’re not afraid to get our hands dirty. We usually host a wild game feed on one of the nights as well.

For a group that’s ran by a couple bums that is strictly volunteer efforts, I think we do good work.

Attachments

• 9711F4FC-79E2-4CDA-9CE7-803F23D5DF6A.jpeg
    9711F4FC-79E2-4CDA-9CE7-803F23D5DF6A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • A4BBB659-9E00-467A-9C0E-871DD9073140.jpeg
    A4BBB659-9E00-467A-9C0E-871DD9073140.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 587851E7-DC1D-42A3-98E3-09A22667334E.jpeg
    587851E7-DC1D-42A3-98E3-09A22667334E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • 6032B418-1389-4904-89AC-99B8660EB484.jpeg
    6032B418-1389-4904-89AC-99B8660EB484.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
RMEF is great I think all hunter should be members. As a life member of MDF in Utah, I can tell you that there are a lot of boots on the ground projects in Utah.

HCPT,
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Come down to Huntsville and join the MDF for a shrub planting project on the 23rd. 9am.
RMGA will likely be doing another survey of the Willard herd this summer.
SFW will be coordinating dawn collars on the cache come June.
BHA did a planting last year. Really like them and I'm a member but they seem to small and new to execute on the ground projects yet but do have film festivals and other activities on USU campus and around the state.

I'm a pretty big fan of local organizations. I think they tend to have the best feel for local issues and do the most on-the-ground work. Have you looked into a local Sportsman's Association or a Rod and Gun Club? A quick google search came up with these guys: https://www.wasatchwigeons.org/ I'm sure if you poke around or call the local Fish and Game office they can steer you toward some other groups.

I'll also give a thumbs up to all those mentioned already. I don't agree with the Mule Deer Foundation on a national level but they do good work on the local level.

Check into the UDWR and Utah Ducks Unlimited volunteer events. I know UDWR and DU in Utah coordinate on goose banding opportunities for kids. It's a great event to get involved with handling geese and the kids love it.

I suggest looking at the form 990 on the organization before sending money their way. Some spend virtually all of the funds on fundraising.

I suggest looking at the form 990 on the organization before sending money their way. Some spend virtually all of the funds on fundraising.

Uncle Sam gave me a nice tax refund that I want to use to be a lifetime member of a conservation group. Attached is a link to RMEF’s 2018 form 990. Not being an accountant, I found it pretty intimidating? What exactly are you deciphering through here? In the end, I’m debating between RMEF and the Mule Deer Foundation although open to something else. I’ve been an annual RMEF member for close to a decade now but have zero experience with MDF. MDF got my interest though as I feel RMEF is already likely well funded and I kind of feel like mule deer habitat may overlap more with antelope and upland birds which I also greatly enjoy hunting versus elk habitat. Thanks for any insight or advice.

I would say in my experience that there are a lot of great national organizations out there, but for the kind of activity that you're looking for it's important that the local chapter is strong and active.
I'm a member of several orgs that are good nationally, but vary widely on the local level. For example, RMEF is a great org, but if you live in a place that doesn't have elk there probably isn't going to be much to get involved with outside of the occasional banquet or raffle. In my case, I live near fantastic trout fishing so my local TU chapter is very active on the ground with habitat projects, stream clean ups, stream monitoring, family outings, youth outreach, veteran's outreach, etc...

I did a lot of work for the RMEF over 10-15 years as well as the Mt FWP on conservation easements. When I retired I no longer had the databases to do the work. They are a honest outfit and don't oppose properly proposed industry projects. Incomes are important for hunters.

This thread was a perfect topic for me. I was looking to join a group or groups and BHA sounds really good to me. Are there any groups specific to Pronghorns as there are Elk, Muleys, Whitetails, etc.? BTW this is also my first post on HuntTalk but I am betting not my last.

It will probably be a local and personal preference. Some of you might recall I have promoted the Austin (TX) BHA group a lot, and was at one time in a leadership position. We had a great group in Austin who was very hands on, and I actually made some great friends within the local group. However, I took a step back because of a very sour relationship with the state leadership, so it just goes to show you that it all depends on who is running the show. That being said feel out a few groups that you are interested in, and if there isn't a local chapter besides the college chapter don't be afraid to start your own local group if you believe in what the national organization represents. It can be a very rewarding experience. If you're worried about the time commitment just take it at your pace until you develop a group of folks that you can delegate tasks too. I think the biggest thing in that situation is to just be reliable and do what you say you're going to do and not over commit. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

It looks like the Kifarucast podcast recently had leaders of BHA and SCI on two separate episodes to discuss their groups.
May be useful to people. May be not.

This thread was a perfect topic for me. I was looking to join a group or groups and BHA sounds really good to me. Are there any groups specific to Pronghorns as there are Elk, Muleys, Whitetails, etc.? BTW this is also my first post on HuntTalk but I am betting not my last.
Arizona has an Arizona Antelope Foundation. I’m not really an antelope guy and I’m not a member, but I did go to one of their banquets last year with a friend that drew a tag, and they seem like a very active, hands on group. I get their emails all the time for their habitat improvement projects.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back