Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado wolves

@Sytes and @oswald2581 people erroneously comparing RMNP to Yellowstone is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Other fun facts that will make you do a double take there are estimated to be only 20-24 black bears living in the park. Yellowstone by comparison has 575 black bears and 640 grizzlies, denoting that not only is Rocky smaller it also doesn't have great habitat. Which is readily apparent to anyone who has left the Kawuneeche Valley. You don't see shit for animals in the park, the elk herd is small and localized (only 600-800 animals in the park year round with summer populations reaching maybe 3,000, the population is below objective and a cull hasn't been warranted in almost a decade) there are very few deer, decent number of sheep, etc. A large % of the park is above timberline ~11,000ft. It's a completely apples to oranges comparison.

The other park in the state Great Sand Dunes is equally as poor a comparison. "While wolves are important components of management of healthy ecosystems where they currently occur in units of the national park system, their reintroduction to GRSA for the purpose of elk and bison management has been considered and dismissed from further consideration because the home range size of a viable population of wolves would exceed the habitat available on GRSA." -National Park Service

There is also Dinosaur NM... and the emergent wolf pack is 5-10 miles from the boundary. Also for NR who have stumbled on this thread 201,2,1 and 10 which are the units in the NW corner of the state and where these wolves have been found are the premier elk units in the state, this year it took a NR 25 points to draw an archery tag in any of them.

I will now step off my soap box, apologies

Last edited:
came across this article from March that I felt was rather well balanced and informative

author is a younger post doc researcher in biology - rather good writer (non technical that is) for a scientist

Last edited:
Interesting read, Togie. The Edwards seem ready to do/say anything to force wolves into Colorado.

When science is outweighed by the fickle mob and ballot boxes of city dwellers define wild ecosystems, that is when scientific imperialism is shelved due to the current fad / trend the populous.

Imperial science teeters on mob interest nowadays. Politics, imo, has been the largest factor towards destroying scientific research.

Interesting read, Togie. The Edwards seem ready to do/say anything to force wolves into Colorado.

i think the author captures how quite a few coloradans feel about this - while many are intrinsically against wolves no matter how when or why, a lot of us are in the camp of, yeah having wolves would be cool, really cool actually, but why are we going to have the naive voters force this on reluctant wildlife experts who are greatly concerned about funding mechanisms in a process that appears to totally leave the most prominent stakeholders out to dry?

i have a fundamental problem with ballot initiatives as i think they're mostly a broken and abused system, and for that reason alone i'm against the initiative, doesn't matter if the funding issues were more clearly addressed in it, among the other issues

but while a lot of coloradans are in that camp, unfortunately i think it's clear those of us with those opinions are the minority

Reactions: trb
woof

1604512233305.png

i'm blown away it's this close

i talked to a lot of people i know in weeks up to election day that i thought for sure would've been voting yes on this based on their typical leanings and thought processes. largely, those folks suprised me with no vote proclamations

we'll see

Last edited:
I am quite surprised as well. I looked a bit ago and found that the proposition won in 13 of 64 counties, 5 of which are on the West Slope. The five western counties are Pitkin (Aspen), San Juan (county pop. 762), Summit (Breckenridge/Copper Mountain), San Miguel (Telluride), and La Plata (Durango).

woof

View attachment 160729

i'm blown away it's this close

i talked to a lot of people i know in weeks up to election day that i thought for sure would've been voting yes on this based on their typical leanings and thought processes. largely, those folks suprised me with no vote proclamations

we'll see
Automatic recount territory.

I too am shocked. After the conversations I had with people I thought this would pass with the numbers similar to the new tobacco tax. I'm impressed by people's actual intelligence on this one and hope that when they tally the next 15% they sway it to a no vote.

I too am shocked. After the conversations I had with people I thought this would pass with the numbers similar to the new tobacco tax. I'm impressed by people's actual intelligence on this one and hope that when they tally the next 15% they sway it to a no vote.
Last I checked, Denver and Boulder counties still had quite a few ballots to count. I think it was 4-1 for the proposition in Boulder County, damn hippies

WILM. What is "The Mythical Wolf" thing ?

Did they use the------ "more wolves, fewer coyotes , which will allow the reintroduction of Lynx" argument ?

The "Anti's" use the "hunting is barbaric" argument all the time, but I always wonder how many of them have seen a pack of wolfs bring down a full grown Muskox and tear it apart
( also moose, caribou, elk ) Killing livestock will not be hard for them. Also, they will pay a set amount for an animal owned by a rancher but they never take into account of what that calf might bring in beyond its own life. Was the rancher cross breeding or line breeding and how that calf fit into the future breeding plan, etc etc

Best of luck gentlemen

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back