Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado wolves

Very interesting! I agree that is compelling footage for a good wolf ID, and the story recounting the howling seems legit. It’s tough to get a good sense of the ear shape and height, but they don’t look huge like Coyote ears. Couldn’t get a good look at the tails either. What struck me as good for wolf is the coloration of the front animal, including the distinct white facial patch. Caveat: coloration is tough as a definitive ID though. This is true of many species. The size and gait of the critters also strike me as wolfy, but better reference points would be helpful.

I’ve been an avid wildlife photographer and birdwatcher for a long time - I geek out on species ID and I’ve spent a lot of time watching and photographing wild canines. I personally wouldn’t make a certainty ID call based on that video, but won’t argue with those who do. That being said, I know CO has already had multiple documented Gray Wolves.

See below for decent comparison photos of a wolf and coyote I took in Yellowstone. That is a one year old wolf, and when the light hit him right, he had a lot of reddish hues like a coyote. Then, note the lack of typical colors on the coyote, but easily ID’d by the ears, facial shape, puffy tail, etc.

0C1F3828-3896-4708-9FAE-14F55BE4CF78.jpegED98EFFC-4B28-4F20-921E-B3C8B1DB3864.jpeg

Very interesting! I agree that is compelling footage for a good wolf ID, and the story recounting the howling seems legit. It’s tough to get a good sense of the ear shape and height, but they don’t look huge like Coyote ears. Couldn’t get a good look at the tails either. What struck me as good for wolf is the coloration of the front animal, including the distinct white facial patch. Caveat: coloration is tough as a definitive ID though. This is true of many species. The size and gait of the critters also strike me as wolfy, but better reference points would be helpful.

I’ve been an avid wildlife photographer and birdwatcher for a long time - I geek out on species ID and I’ve spent a lot of time watching and photographing wild canines. I personally wouldn’t make a certainty ID call based on that video, but won’t argue with those who do. That being said, I know CO has already had multiple documented Gray Wolves.

See below for decent comparison photos of a wolf and coyote I took in Yellowstone. That is a one year old wolf, and when the light hit him right, he had a lot of reddish hues like a coyote. Then, note the lack of typical colors on the coyote, but easily ID’d by the ears, facial shape, puffy tail, etc.

View attachment 122594View attachment 122595
+1
CC.jpg

Anybody that thinks that they cannot there, needs to broaden their horizons a bit. With the amount of wolves that are in the west, now, it is only logical that they are also in the rough country of Colorado.

California also has them and nobody ever mentions that. My kid was fighting fire in northern Cali and during the first briefings, they were told that the area holds wolves. They never did run into any, due to all of the fire activity, but he did see tracks that were no doubt wolves. They, like the grizzlies, are expanding a bit.

Anybody that thinks that they cannot there, needs to broaden their horizons a bit. With the amount of wolves that are in the west, now, it is only logical that they are also in the rough country of Colorado.

California also has them and nobody ever mentions that. My kid was fighting fire in northern Cali and during the first briefings, they were told that the area holds wolves. They never did run into any, due to all of the fire activity, but he did see tracks that were no doubt wolves. They, like the grizzlies, are expanding a bit.
California has had a verified wolf presence for a couple of years now: https://www.sfchronicle.com/science/article/Wolves-in-Northern-California-aren-t-just-12898718.php

Colorado has had several wolves hit by cars but I don't believe they've acknowledged an established population, yet.

No doubt wolves, not even really debatable to me.

I'm not familiar with the wolf situation in Colorado other than headlines about introduction efforts, is there dispute about whether or not they're currently there?

I'm not familiar with the wolf situation in Colorado other than headlines about introduction efforts, is there dispute about whether or not they're currently there?

There have been several sightings of individual wolves, including one earlier this year with a collar. A couple of years ago a guy killed one while coyote hunting.

No confirmation of breeding pairs. If there are, it would seem to me the reintroduction is unnecessary.

There is debate on the presence of a viable pack, and you can read conflicting articles as to whether or not CO has had a female give birth within the state. I've seen a handful of verified incidents over the years that the state has acknowledged as being wolves; vehicle strike, hunter killed one thinking it was a coyote, trail cam, etc.

I agree those are almost certainly wolves in the video, I'm just not personally willing to remove the 'almost'.

I'm sure they're there. Once you see elk numbers declining hard. Then you'll know they're a problem! What are they trying to achieve by "reintroducing" them into Colorado?

There have been several sightings of individual wolves, including one earlier this year with a collar. A couple of years ago a guy killed one while coyote hunting.

No confirmation of breeding pairs. If there are, it would seem to me the reintroduction is unnecessary.
Are you referring to the one in Kremmling?

I saw one near Fraser/Winter Park last year, reported the rough location to CPW. Haven't heard any reports back. I was driving and couldn't safely get my phone to snap a pic. Definitely not a coyote.

They're here and have been for years. That's the point (among many others) that needs waiving around far and wide in the face of this CO introduction nonsense. One was shot and killed near Kremmling a few years ago mistaken for a coyote. They don't read state line signs. As others have said, they're not here in force yet and I think it's in no small part to all the two-legs running around the mountains year round. Randy's podcast with the AZ wolf guy discussing Mexican wolves mentions gray wolves occasionally moving south and killing Mexican wolves. And the Mexican wolves are all (supposed to be) south of I-40. Hell, gray wolves have been and may still be in the Villa Vidal in northern NM. I doubt they were air-dropped in.

Cool video. I have zero problem with wild animals being wild animals. Getting all spun up is like getting mad at a skunk for stinking. I have many problems with the people who push this introduction stuff in either bad faith or ignorance.

I do indeed think those are wolves in the video, but it's impossible to know if that video was taken in CO... so 🤷‍♂️

Hardly the point as wolves are here, CPAW did a whole press release about how there is a radio collared Wyoming wolf in the state and they got the collar info from Wyoming so they know exactly where it is.
1576257057992.png

They have been here for a while

A wolf was killed by a car in Idaho Springs in 2004
A wolf was poisoned in Rio Blanco in 2009
A wolf was kille dby a hunter in Kremmling in 2015

CPAW position to Wolves full text
1576255451045.png

Last edited:
I would guess very powerful ppl on the left recognized the achilles heel that is Denver long ago. I would imagine this effects things like hunting, gun rights, and furry critters.

I'm sure they're there. Once you see elk numbers declining hard. Then you'll know they're a problem! What are they trying to achieve by "reintroducing" them into Colorado?

I do indeed think those are wolves in the video, but it's impossible to know if that video was taken in CO... so 🤷‍♂️

Hardly the point as wolves are here,

Certainly we know they are or have been here in low numbers, but the account accompanying this video suggests there could be a breeding pair established in unit 201, if not now, soon.

The bulls are screaming a little here and there. Casey spots this solo bull at 200 yds and we strained our eyes through the predawn light to size him up knowing he was likely a smaller bull being solo. Then it began- this single eery low pitch howl, then another, and another, and some from another direction- all low pitched long howls. All other animal sounds ceased to exist as they sounded off in the early morning crispness- the bulls shut up. I have heard coyotes howl and yip for years every morning and evening while hunting- this was far different in tone and range. It was just like what you hear from shows or recordings of wolves- just like it. Casey got out his phone quickly to record the sounds, while Chris set up the phoneskope to get them on video- but remember it was still before sunrise- lowlight. Casey spotted them in his binos working through aspen and then through the sage, 6 of them split up, moving southeast, 50 yds off the solo bull we were looking at. And then they were gone. Casey quickly fiddled with his phone to see what he recorded, and with dismay discovered he didn’t hit record. Chris got a video snip of two of them going through the sage- it isn’t a long video, but it shows them.

No one mentions it but somehow they have a working group with the fish and game agency, a webpage with all kinds of photos and videos and FAQs and a fact sheet. But no, you're right, no one ever mentions it.

I recognize that California has a lot of bad policies, but give them some credit, they still have real biologists doing real work. The entire state is not this black hole of conspiracy theories.

Certainly we know they are or have been here in low numbers, but the account accompanying this video suggests there could be a breeding pair established in unit 201, if not now, soon.
Ah... gotcha, overlooked that.

No one mentions it but somehow they have a working group with the fish and game agency, a webpage with all kinds of photos and videos and FAQs and a fact sheet. But no, you're right, no one ever mentions it.

I recognize that California has a lot of bad policies, but give them some credit, they still have real biologists doing real work. The entire state is not this black hole of conspiracy theories.

As soon as OR7 crossed the border in 2011 a working group between stakeholders was established. Still many in this state think they are being brought in, which is funny because if it was happening you'd surely hear about it from the disparate groups in the advisory group for different reasons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back