Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado wolves

Assuming the bill passes where would wolves be reintroduced? I'm assuming the flat tops?

There is no equivalent to Yellowstone or Glacier, per NPS Rocky Mountain's elk herd is below or at objective and doesn't require culling, and a wolf reintroduction into the Sand Dunes/ the San Luis valley isn't viable, page. 51.

I've often wondered where myself, more so how it's going to be funded. I read the bill, and unless I read over it (highly probable), I did not see it clearly spelled out.

Also, how would CPW be forced to comply?

My bet, this is going to pass, but it will be tied up legal bs for years.

Those are wolves. That sucks for Colorado. I live in Northwest Montana and your more apt to see wolves any more than deer or elk. The wolves are even making their way into areas here consuming people's pets here.

I've often wondered where myself, more so how it's going to be funded. I read the bill, and unless I read over it (highly probable), I did not see it clearly spelled out.

Also, how would CPW be forced to comply?

My bet, this is going to pass, but it will be tied up legal bs for years.

Why would CPW be exempt from state law? They would have no choice but to comply.

You are correct. It would almost certainly end up in court.

For the record, I hate that they are even entertaining re-introduction of wolves into Colorado.

BUT, what I find most interesting is that for years I have had concerns about Colorado and its seasons, point creep, overcrowding, cattle grazing, reduction in Cow elk, season structures, and tag allocations. I have called, mailed letters and spoken to various people who should be able to make a difference in these decisions. All of my concerns have fallen on deaf ears and the CPW just keeps on chugging along the same path to self destruction. I am a non-resident and I am treated like one. I dont get a vote and I dont get any of my concerns addressed. EVER. Not even a return phone call.

Now, that Colorado realizes this wolf situation is a great threat I receive 2 emails a day from the "Stop the wolf" coalition and other emails that basically state the same thing. They want my help via donations $$$.
You know what I say? Let the residents deal with it. They didn't want to hear my concerns before so I say they can deal with this situation themselves. I dont get a vote in this either. So what does it really matter? There is nothing I can do for them as a non-resident.

My recomendation is the same people (that didnt want to adress my concerns because I am just a non-resident and the only thing that matters is my money) is that they go to the polls and take care of this themselves.

Rant over.

Also curious as to where CPW would choose to release wolves if they have to. The Flat Tops is a good guess. Dinosaur Natl Monument area? Maybe they won't be released on the West Slope at all? Commanche National Grassland? Or Pawnee National Grassland, that way the majority that votes for them will not have to travel very far for viewing opportunities. Lol

For the record, I hate that they are even entertaining re-introduction of wolves into Colorado.

BUT, what I find most interesting is that for years I have had concerns about Colorado and its seasons, point creep, overcrowding, cattle grazing, reduction in Cow elk, season structures, and tag allocations. I have called, mailed letters and spoken to various people who should be able to make a difference in these decisions. All of my concerns have fallen on deaf ears and the CPW just keeps on chugging along the same path to self destruction. I am a non-resident and I am treated like one. I dont get a vote and I dont get any of my concerns addressed. EVER. Not even a return phone call.

Now, that Colorado realizes this wolf situation is a great threat I receive 2 emails a day from the "Stop the wolf" coalition and other emails that basically state the same thing. They want my help via donations $$$.
You know what I say? Let the residents deal with it. They didn't want to hear my concerns before so I say they can deal with this situation themselves. I dont get a vote in this either. So what does it really matter? There is nothing I can do for them as a non-resident.

My recomendation is the same people (that didnt want to adress my concerns because I am just a non-resident and the only thing that matters is my money) is that they go to the polls and take care of this themselves.

Rant over.

Don't feel bad that the CPW doesn't listen to you, they don't treat residents any better. The only thing the CPW & Commission has listened to from "some" residents was raised our tag fee's. And then they (CPW) turned around and screwed the seasons up as a thank you!

But in CPW's defense, they were very upfront that the increase in hunting license and tag fee's were going to fund dam repairs, fish food, outboard motors, etc...

I live here and am looking at hunting out of state because hunting here is getting to be a little too frustrating. My "give a damn" about at what happens here is just about out. Introduce all the wolves & grizzlies they want, I really don't care anymore

I get it. Its hard to give any shit when you are out of shits to give.

Colorado has held a Democratic governor for 22 of the past 30 years.

My advice: Vote out as many democrats as you can. While you still can. Before its too late.

My advice: Vote out as many democrats as you can. While you still can. Before its too late.

This is a ballot measure. Has nothing to do with who is in the governor's seat.

Montana Senator Jon Tester is a Democrat and a big reason wolves are delisted in Montana and Idaho.

Tester (D - MT) and Simpson (R - ID) placed a rider within a Federal funding bill to legalize wolf hunting. Good on Tester and Simpson.

I love this quote from the mockery of environmental anti-ESA organizations, CBD:

“With Democrats like Tester, who needs Republicans?” asked Kierán Suckling, executive director of the Center for Biological Diversity. “Jon Tester’s job creation agenda is concerned with only one job — his own. With the help of the White House and Senate leader Harry Reid, he has sacrificed wolves and the Endangered Species Act to cynical, self-interested politics.”

Lots of folks were opposed to the re-introduction if you dissect the Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife, and Center for Biological Diversity - mass urban blitz comments from the ESA back then as well... When comments are solicited from naïve city dwellers - comments are crap for a reasonable pulse of the public.

Also curious as to where CPW would choose to release wolves if they have to. The Flat Tops is a good guess. Dinosaur Natl Monument area? Maybe they won't be released on the West Slope at all? Commanche National Grassland? Or Pawnee National Grassland, that way the majority that votes for them will not have to travel very far for viewing opportunities. Lol

i believe the ballot language is specific to western slope reintroduction

due to that there would be no eastern slope reintroduction. and really there is no good enough, or large enough perhaps (vast? uninterrupted?), habitat on the east slope

Example: This is how a generic, Earthjustice, Sierra Club, Center for Biological Diversity "Public Comment" comes across... (example: this year's upheaval) Doesn't take clairvoyance to identify the trend... ;)

1578081492714.png

Not quite sure how we jumped from the delisting process back during Simpson/Tester and the original ESA re-introduction comments to comments made in 2019. . Seems the trend is naïve city dwellers = anyone opposed to delisting.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back