Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Wall Tent

reloder28

I am interested to know what you guys think is the right size for one of these. I don't necessarily need the biggest. But, I think I'd like to house two people comfortably on hunts with possibility of four in a simple camping venue. What's your experience?

Everybody is different, But I really like my 12'X14'. Plenty big for 2 people and all their gear. You could get 4 in no problem, Just less elbow room.

When we got a new wall tent we went with 12x14 and I am glad we did. We can easily fit 3 people with gear and wood stove, anything smaller would have been really cramped. It is still fairly easiy for one or 2 to set up with the internal frame.

Everybody is different, But I really like my 12'X14'. Plenty big for 2 people and all their gear. You could get 4 in no problem, Just less elbow room.

12X14 is probably the most versatile. I have two of them in that size and one 10X12. For two guys, the 10X12 is good. Add in a lot of production gear, hunting gear, and a stove and it starts getting cramped.

If you go 12X14, make sure your frame has two rafters, in addition to the two end stringers, for a total of four supports. One rafter to gap a 14' span is just not enough. Results in too much sag in the canvas.

We have a 12x14 paired with a Davis Tent Co. traditional ridge pole set up that has the individual wall support poles. Very light frame to haul around and packs into a tubular bag 5' long by about 10" thick. Goes up rally fast. Three of us, cots, gear, stove, works rally well but just one more guy and we'd probably need a gear tent.

I have a 12x14 and its plenty big for what we do. If you have any doubt about size get a sheet of paper and scale out 12x14 or 14x16 and layout where cots, stove, tables and storage then you will have a better idea about space you will need.

Personally I prefer a 14' x 16', and I have a 10' Awning out the front of mine.
works great for 2 guys, and is still OK for 4 guys. JMO
and I put a poly tarp over it, to keep it dry, it is a pain trying to folding up a frozen tent.

Kevin

Bought the 12X14 with the internal frame last year, and luv it! You will need to set it up and hose it down several times before the season starts, this will water proof the tent. If you can keep it up through several rains and it will only get better, no need for the rain fly. Only thing I didn't like was the directions that came with it sucked. We got on youtube and watched someone set it up. We then made our own directions.

I have 2 10x12 tents. Use 1 most of time for up to 3 hunters. A bit cramped any more we set up both and use 1 to sleep and the other for eating etc.

A little different set up, but my wall tent is a 12x12 spike tent from MT Canvas. 144 sq feet gives us a very good amount of room for two people, cots, night stand table, small eating table, stove, some indoor firewood, and gear. Vestibule over the front holds the rest of the woodpile and other gear we want to keep dry.

Adding a third person to the mix takes away our table between the cots, all the wood goes outside, as does much of the gear. I really like the single center pole design, but its pretty tight when we try to house three of us inside.

In the end, unless your going to be packing it a lot, I would err on going with the larger size of the two choices.

I have a 12 x 14 with 4 foot walls. It works good for 2 guys and gear plus a barrel stove. I think 5 foot walls are a better choice. The internal frame is a great way to go and a lot easier to set up.
Dan

I just got a 15x18 from Davis Tents, set it up last week in my back yard and it is huge, should easily fit 4 guys and all the hunting gear.

Good thread.I'm looking to get one in the next few years as my boys are getting into hunting age and will be joining me out west each season

Wall tent

When 4 of us go the 16x20 is the perfect size. Once you put the stove, wood and everybodys gear it is pretty full. We also leave an area around the stove for hanging clothes to dry. Glad I didnt go smaller. The wood stove keeps us warm and comfortable even in negative 30 degrees last year. We also put a plastic floor down but added carpet and it makes it much nicer.

Mixedbag,

I have a Davis that I ordered many years ago for the same reason. (its still in great shape and in use) I had doors installed on both ends, and had screen doors installed so I can use it for summer camping with the boys along with the hunting trips.

One of the best investments I have in hunting/camping equipment.

Back