Colorado Outfitter Questions

snite66

OK guys I have a question about outfitters in Colorado. I am planning my first ever elk hunt this year. I am going to go to Colorado and since it is my first ever and the fact that evrything I know about elk hunting pretty much comes from what I have read on here and TV shows, I am thinking my success rate will be much higher with a guide. This will more than likely be a once in a lifetime hunt for me and I would very much like it to be successfull. I found an outfitter in southwest colorado the circle K. For 9 days and 7 nights my total cost for the hunt is $4100.00 plus $564 for license (over the counter) plus tips (unknown cost) I can also purchase a bear tag for $351.00 if they are avaliable. The way he explained it to me everything is included, meals, lodging, horses, and they take care of the packing in and out.

I guess what I am asking is this a reputable outfitter and does it seem like the price is right? Do you guys have any recomendations or info to pass along? I know there are a lot of guys around here that have a lot mor experience with this kind of stuff than I do.

I thank you for any info you can provide.

First off....slow down and revisit all of your options. You can have a quality hunt out of a Motel DIY and spend way less. You are talking about spending around 6000 dollars for a Dream you have at night and it seldom comes out that way even with a Guide. Research an area and then ask questions about the general area, Big Tip here, get off the road a little and sit by a tree and let the others push the Elk to you. With the money you are looking at for 1 trip you could go for 3! John

That price seems to be on the low end compared to most guided elk hunts up here (Montana) especially if you're hunting private land. I'm not gonna tell you to not get a guide, but I would talk with people who have hunted with them before and talk to a few other guides before finalizing anything.

First off....slow down and revisit all of your options. You can have a quality hunt out of a Motel DIY and spend way less. You are talking about spending around 6000 dollars for a Dream you have at night and it seldom comes out that way even with a Guide. Research an area and then ask questions about the general area, Big Tip here, get off the road a little and sit by a tree and let the others push the Elk to you. With the money you are looking at for 1 trip you could go for 3! John

John's right on... we used to DIY Elk in SW Colorado for two weeks during archery season for under $1000 per head. Other than the license, gas is your biggest expense which we usually split 4 or 5 ways...

My problem with the DIY hunt is, I have no one to go with me and as I said my knowlege of elk hunting is nil. Plus this will be a once only trip for me I will not have a few trips to figure things out and get better at it. Were it deer or turkey or predators I was going after a DIY hunt would be in order and plenty comfortable to me.

But it is like Deer Hunting! I went on my first Elk hunt in 1998 in a Pop Up with a couple of Buddies. We didn't know squat, but after talking to the people who had I got an idea of what to do and it really isn't that diffent from Deer Hunting, in fact Whitetail tactics work just as well. Find a place and sit and sit some more. If you use the maps and topos to locate funnels and saddles you will do just fine.
I am in Shreveport, LA and we don't have Elk, but I have been 10 times and killed 5 along with another 5 that my buddies killed, seen a ton more I should have shot. I used to hunt Missionary Ridge out of Durango and I would book a Motel for the week for a couple of hundred bucks and drive up for the day. Really enjoyed it. Maybe a Motel Hunt with the wife would do the trick since there is alot for here to do there also. John

You might even try posting some more info about yourself on this site and you may be able to find someone to go hunting with you that has experience with elk. my 2 cents

Don't let everyone scare you out of a guide. I don't think I'd ever get one, but it works for some people. I may think about it more if I was in your situation. People on here have definitely shown you can do it on your own, but if it's a one time deal, I can see where someone may want that extra bit of assistance.

Hunting elk requires a whole different state of mind than hunting deer. One that covering miles in a day is paramount. There are two phases to hunting elk. FINDING Elk, then Killing Elk. This Fall we covered 90 miles in 5 days (on horseback) before I killed my bull (on the 5th day). I've killed bulls in roadless areas 6 and 8 miles from camp. I've seen elk from camp but those occasions are rare

To me Elk hunting means leaving camp and riding 2 hours in the dark and coming off the hill when it's too dark to glass. It means a midday nap from 10 to 2 because the elk are bedded in the thick stuff and you only got 4 hours of sleep the night before.

This kinda illustrates why you wouldn't be criticized for making your first elk hunt with an outfitter. Lord knows I wouldn't try to go back to the midwest on my own for a treestand whitetail hunt. It's a whole different state of mind.

Talk to the previous clients of this outfitter you are considering. Ask them if they hunt hard. If they don't leave camp before daylight I'd worry.

An elk hunt can be easy day hunts on SOME private land or winter migration hunts. But a good elk hunt is gonna feel like you finished a marathon by the time you get to lay your hands on that sweet smelling hide. The great hunts will leave you feeling like "I never ever want to do that again but I just gotta!"

I'm willing to bet if you go on this "once in a lifetime" elk hunt it won't be your last.

Before I'd ever hand anyone a deposit, I'd be calling all his references.Ask for some unsuccessful hunters numbers to.I know an outfitter where you'd have a good trip if you want another choice.Talk to some buddies and see if you can all get together for a drop camp which will save you alot.If money doesn't matter then go guided and pay attention to your guide and learn all you can.You WILL be back to elk hunt.Its just something that gets in your blood;esp. if you archery hunt.I see nothing wrong with going guided and using it as an education into elk hunting
Good luck

snite66- Many years ago I was researching Circle K and several other outfitters. It came down to a decision between them and an outfitter in MT. We ended up drawing a MT license so I took my first elk hunt in Montana instead of CO. So no real experience with them other than a bunch of communication.

Now about the cost. Only you know your motivations for going and your limiting factors so disreguard this if you don't think it applies. Having lived in MT for several years now I see many first time elk hunters going on their "trip of a lifetime" and having their high expectations of shooting a trophy bull be shattered. I think you need to make sure your attitude is such that you will be able to enjoy your trip even without success. What is most important to you? An incredible hunting experience in the Rockies, or killing a bull? Only you know the answer to that and you need to be honest with yourself.

Elk hunting very seldom turns out the way first time hunters expect it. It usually is much harder work, with less animals seen than first time hunters expect. If killing a big bull is your sole criterea for a successful hunt, you may find your dream hunt turned into a nightmare after several days. If you are the type that starts gettting antsy and demanding to a guide after you haven't seen jack for three days, you'll feel like he's not working hard enough for you and he'll feel like you don't appreciate how hard he's working. If the weather is too hot, rainy, or a whole host of other factors that can make a hunt difficult, you might see very few animals. On the other hand, you might kill a bull your first morning out and wonder why people think elk hunting is so difficult.

It often takes several elk hunts for all the the stars to align. By experiencing the highs and lows of several hunts, you'll probably be successful and get to see what elk hunting is all about.

Two examples of what I'm trying to communicate can be found in my brother and another friend of mine. My friend was invited to go along with a group to Wyoming on a wilderness pack trip. It was fully guided in some of the best trophy area in the west (before wolves decimated the herd) That trip cost him over $6000 door to door and he killed a 320 inch bull on the second day of the hunt. His attitude about the whole trip was that he was going to go on his OIL elk hunt and get a bull for his trophy room.
I had dinner at his place a couple months after the hunt and asked him how he liked elk hunting. His reply, "Yeah, it was a lot of fun... but you know I was really glad to get back home after a week of living in wall tents. It was kind of dirty... and the guides were kind of rough. It wasn't what I was used to." He's never been elk hunting again and will probably never go.

Contrast that with my brother. He finally kille a cow with his bow this past fall. It took him seven, yes seven DIY trips to MT to finally punch his tag. It wasn't for lack of opportunity. Every year he had multiple opportunities at bulls and something always prevented him from being successful. He passed up many other cows over those hunts and last year finally decided to kill a cow when presented with the opportunity once more. He's probably spent over $12,000 to kill that cow and it took him nearly 15 years. Yet, each year his desire to hunt elk grows stronger and he treasures all the memories he's made. He is an elk hunter even though he's never killed a bull. He got far more enjoyment out a his hunts than my other friend who killed the 320 bull on his second day of hunting.

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going guided. Just make sure you go into the hunt with reasonable expectations and you will have a much better hunt. Remember, an outfitter who has a 50% success rate still sends half of his hunters home without an elk. Most successful outfitters will have something like a 25%-40% success rate. Instead of telling yourself you're going to be one of the successful ones, approach it like you're going to be unsuccessful and then ask yourself the question. Will it still be worth it?

Great advice guys, and I appreciate all of it.I am still shopping around, the uotfitter that I mentioned just seemed to be the kind I was looking for with my limmited knowlege, and also seemed to be the most helpful when talking to him on the phone.

mixedbag: This outfitter is sending me a list of ALL his archery hunters over the last three years pics of the successful ones as well as the ones that were not successful. that impressed me as well, and I plan on calling them. Money always matters but I haven't been able to find anyone to go, most are put off by the cost.

Gerald Martin: Thanks for all the advice. When I go on a hunt it is always about the hunt, of course the kill is the ultimate finale, but not nesessary to be successful.
I started bow hunting here in Illinois back in '78 before we had the deer populations that we have now. Back then you hunt for a whole season and be it would be a great season if you got a shot let alone a deer.
I also started hunting turkeys in my county the first year we had a season for them. I lucked out that year and killed a large tom with a nice spurs and an 11.5 in beard then went dry the next season, so I am used to the ups and downs of the hunting world in general.
I love the Rockies and have always wanted to hunt them. My in-laws live in the Bitteroot valley near Darby and I have visited them many times, and love the area. I know Colorado is not Montana but it is still the Mountains.

2rocky: Thanks for your input as well, it is appreciated more than you guys know.

I am familiar with tough hunts, and if it was not tough I figure I would be a road hunter and make it easy, but thats not the way I do things, always felt like you need to earn it. Don't get me wrong I will take any and all the luck I can get. If I can kill a trophy the first day I am not gonna pass to extend the hunt, nor will I be dissapointed if it takes the whole time or not at all.

Thanks again guy, a lot to consider and work on. This is turnig into a full time job by itself.:D

snite66 - Gerald has an excellent review here for ya, good questions for you to answer, properly sets excpectations, and makes excellent points.
The way I read this is, you are going on your once in a lifetime hunt. Dream hunt. So, dream big! Check references for CircleK and talk to hunters who booked with them. Save the money on the bear tag - my opinion - and spend that money on your hunt, and focus on elk!
$4k is really reasonable for a week with a guide. Hunting private land for that?, or does the outfitter take you on BLM? Good luch.

originally posted by snite66-
I know Colorado is not Montana but it is still the Mountains.

Don't sell colorado short.:) If I remember right Circle K is hunting public land in or near the San Juan mountain range. There's some pretty rugged country in there.

Best of luck on your hunt. I hope I didn't sound patronizing. I've just found hunters who have a reasonable perspective tend to have a much more enjoyable time when the hunting is tough.

Are you going archery or rifle?

I will be going Archery always wanted to take one with a bow and like the idea of going when they are bugeling.

putm2sleep
does the outfitter take you on BLM?

The way I understand it the outfitter i mentioned has some private but most of it is in the San Juan range.

Gerald Martin
I hope I didn't sound patronizing.

Not at all I appreciate all the input because as I said you guy are much more experienced with this stuff than I am, and you gave many great points for consideration. As always it was well written as well.

I will be going Archery always wanted to take one with a bow and like the idea of going when they are bugeling.

If your going archery, I'd go with you... but you have to help me convince my wife I need to do that first... that might be tough.. I'm working on it..;)

Gerald said it well snite. I'll say this, that area of Colorado will take your breath away.

If your going archery, I'd go with you... but you have to help me convince my wife I need to do that first... that might be tough.. I'm working on it..;)

For sure going archery, as far as convincing the wife.....I have enough of hard time with my own, LOL. Not really she was the one that suggested this hunt. :hump: She has been very supportive of most of my hunting after the first couple of years, kinda had to train her to expect some things.

noharleyyet
Gerald said it well snite

Your right, somehow Gerald always seems to say things well, he must be a writer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back