Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado GMU 81 ELK

blmedlin

Looking to connect with someone familiar with Elk in GMU 81 Colorado. First time in GMU 81 for me. Have pre-scouted aerials and access points. I would appreciate connecting with someone who bow hunts this unit as that's my plan. Sounds like there is heavy pressure, but given the amount of ground I would guess there are pockets where one could avoid heavy crowds. My experience thus far is in unit 71. I am interested in trying to new ground and with any luck create some new connections to mutually collaborate. Thanks in advance to those open to sharing some thoughts.

I live just North of GMU 81, and while I haven't hunted down there for many years, I do go there in the Summer months on pack trips with my horses/mule/burros. It's a big place, and if you're not familiar with it, it could deliver some surprises if you're just internet scouting it on Google Earth? I've talked to folks that think they can just hike into the wilderness off of FR 250, from the Conejos River valley, but then when they get there, see that some of those trails have a tremendous elevation gain in only a 1/2 mile hike. There are some trails with 35 switchbacks to the top! Now imagine packing an Elk out of there. Another thing that some don't realize, is that in the Summer months, it's a popular place for backpackers and people fishing. So, you can look at the vast wilderness online and never imagine that it's been stomped on all Summer. Take the trailhead going into 3 Forks on the Middle Fork of the Conejos River. That parking lot is huge for a reason. It's full of vehicles all the time once Winter snows are gone. I've met people in their 80's 6 miles in. The other thing I look for when I'm down there is Elk ground sign. Some places there isn't any. You're welcome to PM me if you have questions???

He's spot on about Colorado wilderness. Hike in 5 miles on a Thursday in the summer, there will be 50 people already there, and 50 more on the way.

Looking to connect with someone familiar with Elk in GMU 81 Colorado. First time in GMU 81 for me. Have pre-scouted aerials and access points. I would appreciate connecting with someone who bow hunts this unit as that's my plan. Sounds like there is heavy pressure, but given the amount of ground I would guess there are pockets where one could avoid heavy crowds. My experience thus far is in unit 71. I am interested in trying to new ground and with any luck create some new connections to mutually collaborate. Thanks in advance to those open to sharing some thoughts.
How did it go? I'm looking at this unit for archery, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There's some big bulls in there. You gotta take a right at the 3rd big Rock. It's really big ya can't miss it. Then cross the part where it's really grassy with small rocks. You'll do great!

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up
Your question is kind of a show me how to catch a fish question, but I promise you if you stick around and pay attention you can learn to drive the boat, rig the bait, catch whatever fish you want, process it and cook it. Seriously, there are some amazing hunters that hang out here.

Your question is kind of a show me how to catch a fish question, but I promise you if you stick around and pay attention you can learn to drive the boat, rig the bait, catch whatever fish you want, process it and cook it. Seriously, there are some amazing hunters that hang out here.
Exactly what was said. It's a process you have to learn. Embrace it and you will succeed.

Back in 19 it was fantastic then they planted wolves and now all the elk moved out. Colorado has very few elk now they all headed South to New Mexico...

I owe a couple of apologies to those who did follow up me with no response on my end. Ended up on RokSlide and to be honest dropped the ball in logging back into this forum. For follow up, I did hunt Unit 81 for a couple years and had success getting into some elk. Like any area, it takes a couple years getting familiar with the pressure, elk and of course overall strategy. We brought meat home but it didn't have any horns for those interested. Happy to share experiences through DM if anyone needs any.

I owe a couple of apologies to those who did follow up me with no response on my end. Ended up on RokSlide and to be honest dropped the ball in logging back into this forum. For follow up, I did hunt Unit 81 for a couple years and had success getting into some elk. Like any area, it takes a couple years getting familiar with the pressure, elk and of course overall strategy. We brought meat home but it didn't have any horns for those interested. Happy to share experiences through DM if anyone needs any.
I've hunted Colorado for the past 4 years all in Unit 14 OTC. Was with a friend who's and amazing caller and was fortunate enough to harvest a couple of good bulls with my bow. This year my wife and I are hunting 80/81 for the first time and I'd be grateful for any advice.

How did your hunt turn out? I'm going there this year for the first time after 4 years in Unit 14. I'm starting at the High Plains Drift Inn on 15 September.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back