Colorado GMU 62

Hunt&ski

Hi guys! New to the forum world, although Google brings me here often when searching for various questions and topics. I have experienced 2 previous elk hunts: a guided archery in 2008, and I drew a muzzleloader tag in 2011 (also guided) - both successful hunts! I've got the bug bad now, and have planned a DIY OTC archery hunt in Colorado Unit 62. I understand this area holds a lot of elk, and a lot of other hunters...
I have a few buddies headed along with me and will be arriving around Sept. 10-17. Any advice or points to particular areas would be greatly appreciated! This area appears to be FULL of ATV trails, but I'm not sure how active they are?

Last edited:
The forest service has closed a lot of roads around there. You would think this is a good thing, and naturally focus on these areas to walk into. But the forest service in there almighty wisdom blocked off one entrance to the road but not the other lol. Just don't get to frustrated if you walk 2.5 hours in thinking you have the place to yourself just to have a atv with two overweight illiterate or blind asshats drive past you road hunting. There are definitely elk in that unit, but due to my unability to tolerate dickheads I stay away lol.

Were the road closed off Divide Road, or the other end? We were hoping to use an ATV ourselves off Divide Road to get a little deeper in...?

A lot of the roads I've seen shutdown are off of transfer rd. You should be able to get were you want to go

RSCN2192.JPGDSCN2212 (1).jpgIMG_1858_zps867cd9da.jpgThe buck pics are are all in 62 within the last two weeks the bull was a 2013, 62 bull in the 4 season.DSCN2174.jpgOne more in the last few weeks

Last edited:
Some nice bucks in your pics.That bull is huge though.Any tips you want to give on hunting 3rd season bucks/bulls there

we cover a lot of ground a lot of the time just in locating elk. Third season i would start in the oaks and work my way down into the pinion, depends on weather also. Hunting pressure is at an all time high in the 2 and 3 seasons.If you know the area well you can make the pressure work to your advantage. never give up that bull was taken on the last day right at last light.

You would be surprised at how many elk are roaming around the parking/camping areas. If it is hot then hunt high. Find water holes. Look for fresh sign. Use a tree stand. The elk cross back and forth over Divide road every night. If they aren't there then try in the places where you would question going in. That is where you will find them. Deep. Glassing in the divide road area isn't easy as it's a plateau. I hunted that area for 6 seasons over 10 years. It needs some serious rain to make it back to what it was. Good luck. I hope you pull out one of the monsters that are in there. Post a pic when you do.

Great Bull Coelk.......I used to hunt out in 62 back about 20 yrs ago for around 10 yrs. Always hunted up off Divide Road around Brushy Ridge. Took one 5x5 and a 5x6. I really miss those days, and unfortunately all the guys I used to hunt with don't hunt out west any longer. Has the area changed a lot do you know? Would really like to start hunting out in CO again.

Thanks
KC

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back