Colorado fee changes - Pref Point Increase + $100 NR Bear Tags

AvidIndoorsman

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=6754

Wildlife License Changes

With a few exceptions, resident license fees will increase by $8.

The commission also approved new licenses or license fees as follows:

A qualifying hunting license purchase for the current year must be made in order to apply for any big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting license; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; or 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents).
Preference points fees will be charged for sheep, moose and goat applicants in 2019. Preference point fees for each of these species will be $50 for residents and $100 for nonresidents.
The application fee for the limited license drawing will increase to $7 for residents and $9 for nonresidents.
A new resident fishing license for youth ages 16 & 17 was created and will be priced at $8 (instead of full price).
Resident senior annual fishing licenses (ages 65+) will cost $8 (instead of free).
This allows the agency to collect federal matching funds
The wildlife education fee, assessed on most wildlife licenses, will increase from $0.75 to $1.50.
The Colorado State Waterfowl Stamp fee will increase to $10.

Nonresident license fees will not be increased in 2019. Resident and nonresident license fees will be reviewed and considered for adjustment based on annual Denver-Aurora-Lakewood Consumer Price Index changes beginning in 2020.

Nonresident bear licenses for all seasons will be reduced to $100.

Gonna have to read it before I decide if I like it.

Wondering what will come of weighted points.

Fisheries guys are probably happy.

$50 for resident point. They screwed the pooch last yr on this with $3 point and no up front money now they go the other way. With this you might as well go to Canada or something. By the time you get enough points for a moose or goat you'll spent what a non res tag cost. Wish the DOW was an elected office.

For a NR to apply for Sheep, Goat and Moose in Colorado in 2019, this will be the costs:

$80 Small Game License
$1.50 ​​​​Wildlife Education Fee
$0.25 Search and Rescue
$10 Habitat Stamp
$27 (9 x 3) App Fees
$300 (100 x 3) PP Fees
--------------------------
$418.75

$50 for resident point. They screwed the pooch last yr on this with $3 point and no up front money now they go the other way. With this you might as well go to Canada or something. By the time you get enough points for a moose or goat you'll spent what a non res tag cost. Wish the DOW was an elected office.

I don't know which of your pooches they screwed (I hope it is recovering well) but I say it was smart forward thinking. They got a bunch of first timers invested in points and now they bump the price. Sounds like they learned a little from all their marijuana dealers. Haha.

I didn't get into hunting until 2011/12 and fishing a few years ago... I came from a non hunting/fishing background, which is to say that I didn't really learn about the scale of fish stocking till recently...um holy crap... how is this a thing... can you imagine if CPW bred elk and deer and released a huge portion of the huntable population every year. Further, dudes are out there ripping lips 365 days a year now, the pull outs on the eagle river are full now almost every day from dusk to dawn.

I'm not anti-fishing by any means but if you look at tag price versus time you get to spend using it at most you can hunt your $50 archery tag for what 5 weeks so ~ $1.40 a day if a fishing license was priced using that metric it would be $520. Seems like it would be fair to make it $9 for 1 day, $21 for a 5 day and $300 for an unlimited license.

Seems like everyone and there brother has a ski pass these days and they go for $500+, am I out of my mind? I'm definitely an outsider/new comer to the sport but it definitely seems like fishing is the most undervalued recreational activity in the state.

I suppose next year they'll be upping the elk/deer/lope? Can't let free money slip by. I'm going to guess it goes something like this... deer and antelope $25/$50, and elk $35/$75. Maybe they should increase them even further to keep point creep down. Make people decide if they really want to build points, or just go hunting?

I'm not surprised by the big 3 increasing in price.

can you imagine if CPW bred elk and deer and released a huge portion of the huntable population every year.

I've made this joke to friends before, sadly I think a bunch of people would be in favor of such a thing

To an outsider the idea fact we spend a massive portion CPAWs budget on introducing a non-native species to our rivers so that people can play with them is just plain bizarre...

I suppose next year they'll be upping the elk/deer/lope? Can't let free money slip by. I'm going to guess it goes something like this... deer and antelope $25/$50, and elk $35/$75. Maybe they should increase them even further to keep point creep down. Make people decide if they really want to build points, or just go hunting?

Almost certainly. They almost passed a PP fee for everything, but decided to give it a year to see how it plays out with the Big 3 and give the CPW staff some time to do more research and provide recommendations.

Someone is sitting in a conference room right now trying to figure out how to squeeze more money out of us. My guess is points will become more expensive.

I thought something like this would be coming. Think I'll be spitting that hook on the big 3. Crap like this makes me hesitant to encourage my son's to get into the points game of Western hunting.

I thought something like this would be coming. Think I'll be spitting that hook on the big 3. Crap like this makes me hesitant to encourage my son's to get into the points game of Western hunting.

I'm in my mid twenties and I was about to get into this points game but with that new regulation I think I'm out. I'll just try and save up and maybe go for one of them in Canada one day.

I'm in my mid twenties and I was about to get into this points game but with that new regulation I think I'm out. I'll just try and save up and maybe go for one of them in Canada one day.

In or out is your choice, but this isn't exactly new, every state charges similar rates to play except Utah(who has absymal draw rates because they don't) and it was only last year that you could get a point for nothing.

In previous years if a non resident wanted to apply for the big three they would have to fork over $6192 of which all but the application fee $28 so $84 was refunded back to you after the draw.

So basically you like a ton of others got suckered in last season... there is a reason the sheep got and moose apps doubled in '18. The current system is still way more friendly than it use to be... I don't understand all the whining...

The fact that a new nonresident has to fork over nearly $1300 before they are even eligible to draw is nuts IMO.

Am I reading it right? Residents need to buy a small game license before we can buy a big game license?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back