Colorado fee changes - Pref Point Increase + $100 NR Bear Tags

Am I reading it right? Residents need to buy a small game license before we can buy a big game license?

The way I read it when applying for big game you must purchase an "annual license" ie fishing, small game, or turkey...so $23 to $48 dollar addition depending on what you decide to purchase. Basically forces you to put some skin in the game each year instead of just buying points for the big three and nothing else. I can't imagine there are many residents who buy an elk/deer tag who don't get a fishing license/small game license so I can't imagine it will have a big effect.

Would my VA free small game/fishing combo fill the requirement?

If you held any big game hunting license this year you are good to go without the game/fish combo. Specific to your question of using the free license to meet the criteria I do not know. Sounds like a question for CPW.

The annual fishing license or small game license is only needed IF you did not have a big game tag of any sort in the year prior to applying.

If you held any big game hunting license this year you are good to go without the game/fish combo. Specific to your question of using the free license to meet the criteria I do not know. Sounds like a question for CPW.

The annual fishing license or small game license is only needed IF you did not have a big game tag of any sort in the year prior to applying.

Thank you

Actually, I gave you bad info...as relates to the new changes. Now you have to buy the small game or fishing, or the combo for 2019-20 year in order to apply for any big game tag. As such I would assume your free license would apply cuz how on earth are they gonna issue you both the VA version and the paid version for same license year...but ask CPW.

Bottom line when you apply online you almost certainly would be blocked from submitting the application if you were missing the qualifying license...A great feature of online apps is the prevention of erroneous application submittals.

Actually, I gave you bad info...as relates to the new changes. Now you have to buy the small game or fishing, or the combo for 2019-20 year in order to apply for any big game tag..

FISHING does not count anymore. They want hunters to buy a hunting license. Here's the full text:

A qualifying hunting license purchase for the current year is required for any big game license application. A qualifying license includes an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting license, an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license or a resident small game/fishing combination license.

Back