Colorado corner crossing legislation proposal

The bill has been formally introduced and is in a committee hearing set for February 13th at 1:30 in assembly room 107.
You can tell your legislature that you support the bill and would like them to support it and you Thank you should have a right to cross at these corners and access your public lands and that landowners should not have exclusive rights to your public land. They are not paying taxes on it and instead we all are yet they get to use it and we don't
ok i didn't know it had been introduced. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Here is the written testimony I submitted to the committee and am emailing to committee members:

Colorado has over 100,00 acres of public land that is inaccessible to the public. We own it, can't access it because private owners hold adjacent property in a checkerboard pattern. This means even when 2 public land properties are touching at their corner, the private land is currently considered to prohibit access to the public land. Coloradans are enjoying public lands in rapidly increasing numbers. Some public lands have seen increases of over 60% since COVID. Governor Polis has charged CPW with increasing state lands available to Coloradans, which is necessary but expensive. This legislation will restore public access to public lands, long blocked by private owners for their exclusive access and financial gain. Right this injustice, save CPW and other agencies tax dollars, and restore these public lands to public hands. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
Here is the written testimony I submitted to the committee and am emailing to committee members:

Colorado has over 100,00 acres of public land that is inaccessible to the public. We own it, can't access it because private owners hold adjacent property in a checkerboard pattern. This means even when 2 public land properties are touching at their corner, the private land is currently considered to prohibit access to the public land. Coloradans are enjoying public lands in rapidly increasing numbers. Some public lands have seen increases of over 60% since COVID. Governor Polis has charged CPW with increasing state lands available to Coloradans, which is necessary but expensive. This legislation will restore public access to public lands, long blocked by private owners for their exclusive access and financial gain. Right this injustice, save CPW and other agencies tax dollars, and restore these public lands to public hands. Thank you for your consideration.
Where can I find the 60% figure?

Where can I find the 60% figure?
it was discussed in CPW sportsperson's roundtable meetings I attended. As was the expected 15-40% increase in state park usage as the result if discounted annual parks passes attached to vehicle registration. Maybe CPW website search for annual park attendance for 2018, then 2021, 2022.

Just FYI, BHA had members in attendance at the stakeholders meeting and have decided to fully support this bill. The first step will be an open letter addressing the issue and CO BHA's support of the bill. I will post it here as soon as it is available.

Just FYI, BHA had members in attendance at the stakeholders meeting and have decided to fully support this bill. The first step will be an open letter addressing the issue and CO BHA's support of the bill. I will post it here as soon as it is available.
Yes I was at the meeting for the stakeholders and the BHA rep said he is not speaking on behalf of BHA and just speaking for himself in support of the bill. If they are fully supporting it is it now on their website?

Yes I was at the meeting for the stakeholders and the BHA rep said he is not speaking on behalf of BHA and just speaking for himself in support of the bill. If they are fully supporting it is it now on their website?
The decision was made after the stakeholders mtg, so that was true at the time, his attendance and report from that mtg was a big part of why the chapter agreed to sign on. As for the website, I don't know about BHA national, I only know about the CO Chapter, which is mostly volunteers.

The decision was made after the stakeholders mtg, so that was true at the time, his attendance and report from that mtg was a big part of why the chapter agreed to sign on. As for the website, I don't know about BHA national, I only know about the CO Chapter, which is mostly volunteers.
That's great to hear. I'm guessing someone will be at the meeting on February 27th at 1:30 speaking as a representative of BHA? Yesterday Audubon Rockies chose to support it and Colorado bowhunters association is supporting it. CPW also said the legislation was needed.

My written testimony has been submitted. Excited to hear more conservative orgs

My written testimony has been submitted. Excited to hear more conservative orgs are jumping in
What would be nice, and it looks like you live in Boulder is to get your representative on board because she chairs the agriculture committee. Maybe you can email and call her and tell her that you live in her district.

That's great to hear. I'm guessing someone will be at the meeting on February 27th at 1:30 speaking as a representative of BHA? Yesterday Audubon Rockies chose to support it and Colorado bowhunters association is supporting it. CPW also said the legislation was needed.
Yes, CO BHA will definitely be at the hearing.

What would be nice, and it looks like you live in Boulder is to get your representative on board because she chairs the agriculture committee. Maybe you can email and call her and tell her that you live in her district.
Yep few weeks back and I got this reply

Thank you very much for reaching out about HB23-1066. I understand the importance of this issue for many of her constituents. However, Rep. McCormick does not take an opinion until it has gone through the committee process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back