CO: Reissue & Leftover Process potential change

cedahm

Saw this being discussed on another site:

In the 2021 Colorado Turkey brochure that just came out, there is a section on page 8 (https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/turkey.pdf) about changing the Reissue/Leftover tag process. Effectively, going back to how it was when it first started (Preview list shared online every Tuesday, licenses added and available for purchase every Wednesday).

turkey reissue.png

I emailed the commission to confirm if this will be used for Big Game licenses as well (others reported the commission has said 'Yes, it will be the same for Big Game', but I emailed for clarification).

Not sure how I feel about it yet. The services that alerted you were useful, but couldn't seem to keep up with process changes. It does sort of act like a 'weekly leftover/reissue draw' which many (myself included) have advocated for before, but I imagine some Wednesday's with desirable tags on the list will be clusterf**s both on the servers and dealer locations.

Lots of people complained about the process being unfair the past few years. I anticipate the whining will be even louder this year.

My buddies at Fly Shop will be thrilled. They'll grab the premium tags at 9:00 every Wednesday and everyone else can pick up the scraps and gripe about how they got booted from the queue after a 45 minute wait....

Lots of people complained about the process being unfair the past few years. I anticipate the whining will be even louder this year.

My buddies at Fly Shop will be thrilled. They'll grab the premium tags at 9:00 every Wednesday and everyone else can pick up the scraps and gripe about how they got booted from the queue after a 45 minute wait....
Exactly.

Much better than staring at my phone all day every Tuesday - Friday, then hanging up on clients so I can get onto the CPW website to try to buy a tag.
Dude either way you aren’t getting a tag, I mean cool it “seems” more fair but it’s definitely less fair now.

Looking forward to the social media comments this fall.

While we’re “fixing” stuff let’s give 2 of the NR unit 10 elk tags to residents, there point creep solved 🤦‍♂️

Anyone who thinks this change is better for the average hunter isn't informed. Resissue tags will be significantly harder to acquire.

I'd recommend going to your local fly shop and watching how many tags they can print before you get your CC processed.

If your average hunter can't figure out how use the CPW website to buy reissue tags then yea, this is bad for them. Anyone that goes to the local fly shop to try to get a reissue tag is going to be unhappy.

If your average hunter can't figure out how use the CPW website to buy reissue tags then yea, this is bad for them. Anyone that goes to the local fly shop to try to get a reissue tag is going to be unhappy.
You don't seem to understand. License agents are hardwired into the system.

All they have to do is enter a CID, then a hunt code and print out the tag. There is no delay. The clerks at sporting goods stores, fly shops and Walmart will decimate the highly coveted tags. All while your browser is spinning.

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how I feel yet. I’ve had pretty good luck the last few years. It is what it is though. I’ll still give Colorado my money anytime they will take it.

I got all my tags off the leftover list this year. I do feel bad for the guys who don't work in front of a computer like I do and don't have the ability to keep an eye on things. If it changes who is willing to get a part time job at The Wal Mart to help us out?

You don't seem to understand. License agents are hardwired into the system.

All they have to do is enter a CID, then a hunt code and print out the tag. There is no delay. The clerks at sporting goods stores, fly shops and Walmart will decimate the highly coveted tags. All while your browser is spinning.
Exactly, at least with the old system the machine advantage was mitigated. If license vendors had to use the same web portal it would be a different story.

End of the day it’s a ton of people trying to get a handful of tags, lots of people will be pissed... and what’s the point?

State may get more money with the refund system, if folks opt to get their points back, but then there is no net reduction in the point pool. So more creep.

Colorado needs to follow other states and get rid of the refund policy, sale is final at application, no refunds, no money back.

Last edited:
i've tried to tell the commissioners in my e-mails that it seems with each passing year i look more and more forward to spending 10x more in other states as an NR than doing anything in colorado as an R

chant with me people: colorado hates Rs, colorado hates Rs...

oh well, can't wait to go mule deer hunting next fall with those mega juicy 3rd season dates

System will lock up every time. This was a gift to residents bottom line.

I never saw any reason to complain about the old system. Always a chance to get a tag.
Most everyone has a computer in their pocket these days. Only people at a disadvantage were people that don’t have service at work, etc. are those people really going to be able to stand in line every week?? Doubt it.

Looking forward to the social media comments this fall.
That’s about the only certainty in terms of ‘effect this change/reversal will have if it’s true’

Colorado needs to follow other states and get rid of the refund policy, sale is final at application, no refunds, no money back.
This would help considerably.

At a Macro-level, I really like having a reissue option for selling tags that the department wants to issue. But it seems like without some sort of draw mechanism, there are going to continue to be gripes (founded and otherwise), loopholes, and, most importantly, actual departmental dollars and effort spent on 'fixing' a secondary (maybe tertiary) system.

We got two elk tags last off reissue and killed two solid bulls so yea this is disheartening if it passes

Back