Timing of tag release on Colorado leftovers

brushcreek

so I read this on the Big Game Brochure

▶ Beginning AUG. 10, the Reissue Preview List will be published on the web- site every TUES. at 11
A.M. Find the Reissue Preview List here: cpw.state. co.us/refunds#reissue
▶ Hunt codes that were on the Reissue Preview List will be moved to the Leftover List and become
available for purchase each WED. starting at 11 A.M.
▶ All hunt codes will be released 11 a.m.–1 p.m. on Wed. of every week, starting the week after
leftover licenses go on sale. No new hunt codes will be added to the list after 1 p.m. each Wed.

My question is what tags would be available for release from 11-1 if all tags from the leftover list published on Tuesday are put back in system for resale Wed at 11? Returned tags that were processed between the time the preview list was generated and the time those tags go on sale?

Or have i misunderstood the process entirely?

I don't know who is smoking what at the state. But there are suddenly multiple tags available on that list that evaporated PDQ in last week's cluster. I guess that many cards didn't work or people changed their mind in a week's time?

I don't know who is smoking what at the state. But there are suddenly multiple tags available on that list that evaporated PDQ in last week's cluster. I guess that many cards didn't work or people changed their mind in a week's time?
agreed, no way that many tags were turned in during one week

I guess that many people wanted to turn in their tag to roll the dice on getting a different one on reissue day. I bet a lot of them now have no tags in their pocket now and are wishing they had their original tags back.

My question is what tags would be available for release from 11-1 if all tags from the leftover list published on Tuesday are put back in system for resale Wed at 11? Returned tags that were processed between the time the preview list was generated and the time those tags go on sale?

Or have i misunderstood the process entirely?
Honestly, I have no idea if they'll post everything at 11 or do some random release between 11-1. Maybe staggered releases?
I guess we'll see?

agreed, no way that many tags were turned in during one week
A number of things that make the level of tags returned seem quite reasonable to me:

1 - "Technically" - the 30 day deadline for Archery tags (and some others starting on 9/2) to return a tag for refund or points was the DAY OF reissue day (8/3), so there were probably some that fit that bill that didn't make last week's list (which was published @ 7:58am that morning). E.g. you could still return an archery elk tag while the reissue day was happening. It wouldn't have made the list that day.
2 - People that got tags on reissue day doubtless exchanged other tags they'd gotten in the first two rounds.
3 - Some number of people got buyer's remorse for tags they speculated on for reissue day and turned them back
4 - Less common reasons (health, etc)

Think about the thousands of individual tags - and how stupid we are as a state to allow returns and reissues and etc for any reason. It doesn't surprise me at all that very small percentages get returned.

The Flat Tops rifle tag gets used as an example/indicator a lot - pretty small number when you think about it as an entire population and not individual purchaser decisions.

- Quota = 5000
- 3746 were drawn in Primary, leaving 1254
- 842 were taken in the secondary/Youth draw, leaving 412
- 412 were taken last Tuesday
- 28 are back

Tl;dr : Both tags I'm interested in are back...so while I've committed to being a grouse hunter/fisherman this September, I'll probably give it another shot tomorrow.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. On some tags (a good many) there are multiple hunt codes with multiple dates. However, those additional codes and dates have an asterisk by them. What does that mean? See the pic below for reference.
CO reissue.jpg

Somewhere on the website (I can't find it now), it indirectly indicated that licenses would not be added to the leftover list after it was posted and before leftover sales began last Tuesday. Now I know there were reports of them being added, but I suspect the majority of the new licenses on the reissue list were returned after the leftover list was first posted.

I like how the CPW site says the tags will be added to the leftover list “as close to” 11 AM as possible.
That leaves plenty of room for error. 10:20 AM is pretty close in their book I’d imagine. I’m guessing the tag I’m after will be gone well before I can even log on.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back