MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO: Reissue & Leftover Process potential change

Bringing this thread back....

"Starting at 11AM licenses will be added to Leftover List. No new hunt codes will be added to list after 1PM"

So... do we still think all codes will be posted at 11AM sharp or could this be a rolling process where codes are randomly posted 11-1 in a hybrid approach similar to last year?

View attachment 184645
sounds like they will be issued randomly during that 2 hour period to me

Hmmm it also says the preview list will be cleared once sales start. So there could be two lists. The preview list then the list of actual tags available, and tags are added to the "tags available list" throughout the 2 hour block..?

Hmmm it also says the preview list will be cleared once sales start. So there could be two lists. The preview list then the list of actual tags available, and tags are added to the "tags available list" throughout the 2 hour block..?
That's my understanding but very possible I'm reading too much into it...

The preview list shows what's coming and then during the 2 hour block the tags are posted on the "leftover list"? I think?

A lot of the griping in this thread earlier was around that at 11AM all the license vendors would get first access.

That's my understanding but very possible I'm reading too much into it...

The preview list shows what's coming and then during the 2 hour block the tags are posted on the "leftover list"? I think?

A lot of the griping in this thread earlier was around that at 11AM all the license vendors would get first access.
I kind of hope your reading it correctly, personally I'd prefer a staggered tag list. But I also have the benefit of having a desk job and being able to refresh for 2 hours.

I kind of hope your reading it correctly, personally I'd prefer a staggered tag list. But I also have the benefit of having a desk job and being able to refresh for 2 hours.
I'm by no means confident I read this correctly... it's just one interpretation!
It would seem to be a decent hybrid approach that hopefully more people are happy with.

The process was discussed in the commission meeting briefly.

My understanding;

There will be a preview list that says what will come up for re-issue. All the new license will be dumped onto the list at the same time. The goal is that if you're a old crank pot ;) who hates the internet you can view the list and then go to walmart at 11am and have a better chance at getting a tag than one of those damn millennials with a computer.

Last edited:
The process was discussed in the commission meeting briefly.

My understanding;

There will be a preview list that says what will come up for re-issue. All the new license will be dumped onto the list at the same time. The goal is that if your a old crank pot ;) who hates the internet you can view the list and then go to walmart at 11am and have a better chance at getting a tag than one of those damn millennials with a computer.
I thought I heard that in the meeting also, but it does read a little differently.

As I completely missed out on filling fly boxes during turkey season, I'll be @ the local shop buying materials a lot, so will have to be there @ 10:59 on Wednesdays I suppose.

What's the Over/Under on the first crash on 8/4? 11:07?

I thought I heard that in the meeting also, but it does read a little differently.

As I completely missed out on filling fly boxes during turkey season, I'll be @ the local shop buying materials a lot, so will have to be there @ 10:59 on Wednesdays I suppose.

I may be wrong but with the secondary draw taking a good portion of the traffic I don’t believe it crashed on leftover day last year.

I called cpw and asked if there was any advantage to being in person trying to get a tag, explaining why I thought there might be, and according to the gal she said no. I dont necessarily buy her answer but it is so hard for me to put my trust into someone else doing it haha.

I may be wrong but with the secondary draw taking a good portion of the traffic I don’t believe it crashed on leftover day last year.
I don't think it crashed all the way, but I know folks were getting re-queued/kicked out early on.

But regardless of what happened last Reissue day - given what we've seen from Aspira/CPW IT since then (notably the mess/crashes/bugs/errors that occurred on App deadline day with what is probably LESS volume than will occur on 8/4/21) - I am bear-ish on Reissue day.

I called cpw and asked if there was any advantage to being in person trying to get a tag, explaining why I thought there might be, and according to the gal she said no. I dont necessarily buy her answer but it is so hard for me to put my trust into someone else doing it haha.
Yeah it depends on if it’s random or if the tags become available right at 11am. The vendor machines are faster than the portal.

I’m sorry if this has been asked before but why don’t they just push the secondary draw back a week or two and roll the tags people turn in or don’t pay for in to the secondary draw?

Couple years ago I was 1st in line @ a CPW office on reissue day, spent the night @ the door. I stood @ the counter as the system crashed. The CPW staff abandoned their tag dispenser, got on the phone, called the right person, and I got my tag. Would not have happened for me online, @ least not that time. I have less confidence in CPW's online system than in the FL election system. CPW online is a safer bet if there are 3+ tags available and you log in when the green flag drops.

I’m sorry if this has been asked before but why don’t they just push the secondary draw back a week or two and roll the tags people turn in or don’t pay for in to the secondary draw?
This is the eventual goal.

However - right now - the draw and the 'front end' (Aspira = Licensing, Commerce, customer information, etc) are two different systems. So there are multiple weeks of 'integration' right now where they (in layman's terms) take all the app data from Aspira, essentially load it into the Draw tools, execute the draw, audits, etc, then have to load everything back to the front-end to update Customer information, feed the Point-Of-Sale systems so tags can be paid for, etc, etc.

Believe it was 2019 when the CO draw 'techy guy' explained in one of the commission meetings that the back-and-forth process currently takes a few weeks but once they can slim it down/integrate the systems, they will include as many reissue tags as possible in the 'Secondary draw' (and have the software horsepower to do multiple draws)

Reactions: ZBB
IMO, Better in person IF you are after a good tag and IF you will be the first person in line. If you are 5th in line and want a good tag, don't even bother.

Tags will not be staggered, nor random. It will be dumped all at once at a specific time each week and everybody will know what is on the list the day prior. Process will suck EVERY week.
that is not what the language says nor what happened in the turkey draw per BluffGruff

This is the eventual goal.

However - right now - the draw and the 'front end' (Aspira = Licensing, Commerce, customer information, etc) are two different systems. So there are multiple weeks of 'integration' right now where they (in layman's terms) take all the app data from Aspira, essentially load it into the Draw tools, execute the draw, audits, etc, then have to load everything back to the front-end to update Customer information, feed the Point-Of-Sale systems so tags can be paid for, etc, etc.

Believe it was 2019 when the CO draw 'techy guy' explained in one of the commission meetings that the back-and-forth process currently takes a few weeks but once they can slim it down/integrate the systems, they will include as many reissue tags as possible in the 'Secondary draw' (and have the software horsepower to do multiple draws)
Thanks for the reply, I didn’t know it was like that. Also really appreciate the layman’s terms.

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t know it was like that. Also really appreciate the layman’s terms.
I'll have to go find that commission meeting on youtube. I think one of the main sticking points with moving everything to Aspira was that they didn't have an answer for the Landowner Preference round.

I feel compelled to note (not related specifically to this thread, just generally speaking every year we go on) that this is a good everyday example of where the department is in need of funding.

The general public (not necessarily anyone on HT or this thread) are quick to gripe about "I won't pay $60 for an Elk tag", "Parks taking all the DOW money" and "wardens driving new pickups" (which are generally untrue or half-truths). Meanwhile: IT, Tech Infrastructure, competitive wages for talented staff to make it all work, analytics, data management, et al is chugging along on a mainframe from the 1980s and you are at the mercy of your primary consumer-facing software app and vendor that has really struggled for half a decade, and has a pile of technical debt built up in your deployment.

But I'll be poised and ready to play the game every Wednesday in August @ 10:59...

I'll have to go find that commission meeting on youtube. I think one of the main sticking points with moving everything to Aspira was that they didn't have an answer for the Landowner Preference round.

I feel compelled to note (not related specifically to this thread, just generally speaking every year we go on) that this is a good everyday example of where the department is in need of funding.

The general public (not necessarily anyone on HT or this thread) are quick to gripe about "I won't pay $60 for an Elk tag", "Parks taking all the DOW money" and "wardens driving new pickups" (which are generally untrue or half-truths). Meanwhile: IT, Tech Infrastructure, competitive wages for talented staff to make it all work, analytics, data management, et al is chugging along on a mainframe from the 1980s and you are at the mercy of your primary consumer-facing software app and vendor that has really struggled for half a decade, and has a pile of technical debt built up in your deployment.

But I'll be poised and ready to play the game every Wednesday in August @ 10:59...
I don't mind sending a thousand dollars to Denver via tax revenue, I mind only 10 cents coming back.

agreed on all fronts great points sir. We gripe about x y or z being underperforming but folks hair would catch on fire if we raised resident tags by $7

In the meantime cpw has me hook like and sinker to join the game every weektenor (5).gif

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back