CO non-residents will pay more next year

Oak

Expert
Nonresident big-game hunters will pay more for a license next year after the Colorado Wildlife Commission Thursday adopted higher prices for out-of-state big-game fees.

Nonresident hunting-license prices are tied to a 2008 Consumer Price Index, which this year jumped 3.7 percent from last year’s level. Bull elk licenses will rise from $525 to $545, all deer licenses go from $315 to $325 and pronghorn tags increase to $325 from $315.

Other nonresident price increases include moose, mountain goat and Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep to $1,825 from $1,760. Nonresident hunters are not able to purchase a desert bighorn sheep hunting license.

Nonresident licenses for bear, mountain lion and cow elk will be $250.

The Division of Wildlife gets more than half ($53.8 million) of its $95 million budget from the sale of deer and elk licenses. Nonresident elk and deer hunters contribute $45.5 million of the $53.8 million.

While this year’s numbers haven’t yet been compiled, anecdotal reports from wildlife officers around the Western Slope indicate a slump in big-game hunter numbers.

While there might be several mitigating factors, certainly chief among them must be the cost of gas before recent price declines and a general malaise throughout the nation’s economy.

Division of Wildlife Director Tom Remington spoke frankly to the commission after it adopted the nonresident price increases, cautioning the commission that the future holds some tough choices for the Division.

“As we get closer to our desired elk population objective, the number of elk licenses available will dwindle,” Remington told the commission and the audience at the DoubleTree Hotel in Colorado Springs.

“We knew that would happen, especially in the northwest.”

Although there still are more elk in the state than the DOW considers either socially or biologically desirable, the agency in this decade has made inroads in reducing elk numbers.

A recent estimate said elk numbers have dropped by about 20,000 animals since 2000. There are an estimated 292,000 elk in the state while the population objective is between 202,000 and 234,000.

Much of the reduction came through increased availability of licenses for cow elk, something that will end, said Remington, as elk herds get closer to objectives.

Fewer licenses mean less revenue for the DOW.

“We’ve been living off the largess of our elk herds for some time,” Remington said. “As we come closer to our objectives, we are going to be seeing substantially fewer elk licenses, which means fewer bull licenses and we may or may not, depending on the decisions about the next (five-year) season structure, have over-the-counter licenses.”

Remington said the fiscal impact from fewer licenses may be $10 to $20 million per year.

“One way to make up for that is to increase the cost of licenses to at least make accommodation for inflation,” Remington said. “At some point down the road we will have to revise our (license) price structure or cut back on other programs.”

“At some point down the road we will have to revise our (license) price structure or cut back on other programs.”

I have a feeling NR will take the brunt of this revision, couple that with fewer tags, and hunters with less money to spend... Times are going to get pretty tough for game agencies

Still worth every penny to me.Beautiful state with lots of game and great hunting. Paid $363.60 to hunt Cali with the kin this deer season. Lot of money for a forky;).. I don't look at the price tag on what it cost cause you can never put a price on the fun had with friends and family and spending time in the great outdoors. JMO:D

I really don't mind paying the piper for a tag. Paying a crap load of money just to have the opportunity to enter a drawing, now that chaps my ass.

"Nonresident elk and deer hunters contribute $45.5 million of the $53.8 million"

What gets me is the residents whine that too many of the tags were going to NR. Those same would whine when their own resident fees increase.

I won't whine if our fees increase. I think we've got it pretty easy and should pay more. Residents ALWAYS think they pay too much, and any resident fee increase in CO will be met with stiff opposition. People like to complain about too many hunters and not enough opportunity, but they aren't willing to pay for better hunting.

It is also a shame there is not more that think like you do.... unfortunate that is not the case so you end up with crap like UT has right now. Residents pimping the tags out to who has the most to spend

I'll do everything in my power to make sure we don't "end up with crap like UT."

I'll do everything in my power to make sure we don't "end up with crap like UT."

Can we at least have a few units with gigantor bulls like Utah?

This just in:

There will also be sur charge for Texans that shoot bigger bulls than the residents.....................hhhmmmm, Noharley:D

Can we at least have a few units with gigantor bulls like Utah?

This just in:

There will also be sur charge for Texans that shoot bigger bulls than the residents.....................hhhmmmm, Noharley:D

I'd like to see a few more trophy units. You know they tried a couple of years ago, but the ranchers and county commissioners shot every proposed trophy unit down. Seems that many believe the CDOW owes them a living.

I'm not opposed to that surcharge...;)

My question then is this, there seem to be a lot of GREAT deer that still come out of Co. Why isn't that the case with elk? Do they operate the same as Wyoming and view the Elk as a major cash cow to support them?

My question then is this, there seem to be a lot of GREAT deer that still come out of Co. Why isn't that the case with elk? Do they operate the same as Wyoming and view the Elk as a major cash cow to support them?

I would say Wyoming and Colorado are about like day and night with their respective elk management policies.

I have never seen a 360+ bull in Colorado. I saw one opening and ending day last year in Wyoming.

As a CO resident I would be willing to pay alot more for those sights.

Yes, unlimited bull tags and very accessible elk. The number of mature bulls (DOW defines as 3.5yo +) per 100 cows post-hunt in some DAU's is 2 or less. Hard to build quality that way, but the DOW counts on selling elk tags for their budget. Also, the ranchers and county commissioners are extremely opposed to limiting elk licenses, and those two groups have much political might in this state.

Agreed, I've seen a LOT more 6 points while hunting deer in WY than I ever have ever seen in CO.

I hope they don't raise the price to much. I might have to eat the points I've gotten. Although I don't have a lot right now...

DEER 5, ELK 3, PRONGHORN 3

Can I just GIFT them ... ;)

The Colorado Wildlife Commission is currently working on the new 5-year Big Game Season Structure. Now is the time to comment if you would like to see a different management strategy.

Big Game Season Structure

Colorado is run by idiots IMO. If they want money from elk, they could get a lot more by raising both the quality, then more would pay the higher price for a tag as well. Look at UT, AZ, and NM. I think CO has the numbers of elk and habitat to have awsome hunting if managed better.
On the other hand, it is nice to have over the counter tags when you strike out in draws of other states. I just wish they implemented a 5pt or better rule state wide.

Schmalts, re-read what I wrote. I think the DOW is willing to create more limited elk opportunities. They receive too many complaints from local governments and landowners who threaten to take them to the woodshed if they limit their money-making opportunities.

Be sure to send in your comments about how you would like to see CO manage their elk herds. Don't forget to include the part about being willing to pay more.

You guys need to get off the road and your ATV. If a Texan and a Marylander can shoot 6pt+ bulls in CO you'd think the locals could pull it off. ;)

I hope that CO doesn't go to what UT, NV or AZ has become. I like WY's system the best of all, mostly because they have the numbes to suport a large hunting population, the prior don't. I'd rather shoot raghorns every year for the rest of my life than get to hunt elk once every 20 years or more. I'd be more intersted in them managing hunter numbers than trophy potential than anything else, runningn into a buch of hunters takes a lot a way from the whole experience for me.

I've only hunted in maybe 5-6 units in CO in various seasons, and spent about 4 months one summer in the Craig/Meeker area hiking/fishing/game watching for about 5-6 more units. I've seen mature bulls in every unit I've been in, maybe only one or two, but I've seen em.

If I had to compare the last 10 years of hunting in CO to the last 10 in MT. It would be a toss up for me. Maybe a few more big bulls seen in MT in September, but for total numbers of elk and legal bulls... Colorado wins no question. I sure like to go elk hunting and actually see and kill one. Going for an 8-10 mile walk and not cutting a fresh track isn't fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back