NEW SITKA Ambient 75

CO non-residents will pay more next year

I hope that CO doesn't go to what UT, NV or AZ has become.

I am not for a total UT, NV, or AZ deal here either, but my god the bulls we could grow here if it was that way.

If NV and AZ can grow them on that lizard turf, we could smoke em here. Maybe get back the WR B&C and P&Y that we had for so long.

Coming from Montana, I am the last person who would have any right to bitch about getting gouged as a non-resident. Montana has perfected the art of gouging non-residents, almost to the point of embarrasment.

Coming from Montana, I am the last person who would have any right to bitch about getting gouged as a non-resident. Montana has perfected the art of gouging non-residents, almost to the point of embarrasment.

Why do you say that?

I have no complaints with MT. What was it $625 or so for a combo tag(I spent my stimulus check on it this year;))? I have drawn it 2 times now. The first time I saw the biggest bull of my life, spent many days napping within 150 yards of him and had multiple bow stalks on bucks. Found a ton of sheds and had just a awesome time. This time the realization I need to get a real job and get some better transportation.

Way long seasons, duel weapon option. WAY better deal than CO NR IMO.

And as far as Bambistew goes, we CO residents do not want to listen to a NR that most likely shot one of the top 10 if not top 5 public land bulls in Co this year:rolleyes: Surcharge for Maryland bastards as well:D

Why do you say that?

Mostly because of the pittance they charge us residents. :(

I buy a sportsmans license that includes tags for deer, elk, bear, and trapping, upland bird, waterfowl, fishing, and small game licenses for less than $90.

If you look at the percent of our FWP budget that is funded by non-residents it is almost comical. Yet, residents snivel over any small increase, and then we whack the non-residents to pay the difference.

I apply in every western state, and when I go to those states and tell residents what I pay to hunt as a resident of Montana, they think I am joking.

Glad you think MT is a bargain. Maybe it is, given you get a deer-elk combination tag. If it is a bargain for you, it is almost laughable for me as a resident.

I am sure some MT guys will flame me for this, but if we don't start paying more of our share, the expected outcome will be that FWP caters more and more to non-residents and the outfitters who claim to serve them, as that group represents a disproportionate share of the agency revenue.

If you feel guilty you can redeem yourself by buying me beer next week;)

Here you go Dinkshooter and schmalts. Time to comment.

DOW SEEKS PUBLIC PARTICIPATION FOR LIMITED ELK UNIT NOMINATION PROCESS

DENVER, Colo. -- The Colorado Wildlife Commission will consider increasing the number of totally limited elk units for the 2010-2014 hunting seasons as part of its Five-Year Review of Big Game Season Structure.

Approximately 16% of Colorado's elk population is located in totally limited units. The Commission will consider managing up to 30% of the statewide elk population in totally limited units.

A public nomination process is now open to identify elk Data Analysis Units or DAUs for consideration as totally limited units. This process provides a special opportunity for the public to weigh-in on elk hunting management in Colorado.

The public nomination process will provide limited unit proponents the opportunity to submit proposals for limiting all antlered and either-sex elk licenses in specific DAUs. In addition, the Commission will entertain nominations from proponents who want to remove a DAU from its current limited status.

Elk herds are at or above the population objective in most areas in the state. Therefore, the goal of this process is to explore ways to offer a greater variety of statewide hunting opportunities. Changes to DAUs do not reflect an attempt to manage herd populations.

Limiting all elk licenses in a DAU can potentially improve hunter satisfaction and success rates but can also potentially decrease elk hunting opportunities, increase crowding in remaining unlimited units and have economic impacts. All licenses in a totally limited unit are awarded by draw or are sold as "leftovers" after the completion of the drawing process. Over-the-counter licenses are not available in totally limited units.

Nominations should apply to entire DAUs but individual Game Management Units or GMUs may be considered in areas that have split management (offering both limited and unlimited hunting). However, public nominations cannot be used to change season dates or timing in elk units.

A DAU is the geographic area that represents the annual range of a big game herd. Each DAU is composed of one or more GMUs. GMUs are hunting boundaries located within a specific DAU.

The Division must be notified by February 28, 2009 of the intent to nominate a unit. All nominations for limitation or de-limitation must be received by May 1, 2009. The Wildlife Commission will review all submissions and continue to take public testimony until September 2009, when final nominations are either approved or rejected.

Nominations will be evaluated based on public support and the potential of the proposed DAU to support the proposed change in management. Certain DAUs may be proposed by the public that due to animal migrations and other mitigating factors, do not lend themselves to management changes.

Many local economies and a variety of interest groups are directly affected by Colorado's big game hunting seasons. Therefore, the DOW encourages hunters, outfitters, landowners, restaurant and small business owners to participate in this process. Every opinion is important and will help guide the Wildlife Commission during this important decision-making process.

For further information regarding the nomination process and to download the "2010 Limited Elk Unit Nomination Form," please visit the Division's Web site at: http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/LimitedElkUnitNominations/

There you go. Four stakeholder groups mentioned, and three will be against any new trophy units. Good luck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back