Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO draw results

got pinged for a n r elk tag//ckd my e-mails,,got my 1st choice elk,,and drew my 2nd choice deer,,unit 444 2nd season if anyone can chime in on unit 444 deer,that would be great,,,so with drawing 2nd choice,i understand i get a preference point at no charge?other than the $396.75 n r deer price?is that correct?
Correct!

The only thing I really put in for was a slam dunk doe tag in 26. Got that to go along with my OTC bull tag and points. I took the doe instead of buck just in case a leftover or private land buck tag in another season presents itself.....anyone who wants to hook a brother up go ahead and pm me :)

^ yeah I’m gonna be prowling the list as well I promise to hunt your 4th season 44 tag real hard or 74 1R.

Had a few friends who put in for what last year was a 100% draw muzzy elk tag and they did not draw. Guessing that the late muzzy dates this year had a lot of people applying for those hunts.

So I got a good one.... My first choice elk muzzy tag with 1 point is 100% draw odds for non residents the last 10 years, typically with 25% odds with no points. I applied with one point this year and got my second choice. One would think there would be less apps overall with the required requisite license purchase this year? Meanwhile my resident buddy typically has a 20% chance with zero points and drew the tag with no points? Strange to see such large disparity in draw odds this year compared to the last 10. Very interested to see this years draw recap!
This is not a bash at GoHunt or other internet based tools used for drawing, I have used GoHunt for the last few years and love it, but I feel they contribute situations like this. You have a large group of people using these tools, looking at the same statistics you are. I feel it pushes more people to apply for the "slam dunk" units which then makes them no longer a slam dunk unit. I apply for the same deer unit every year, statistics are not very good for this unit and it has averaged 5 points for the last 4-5 years for Resident to draw. This year people with 3 points drew. I feel that some people sitting at 3-4 points shifted units to have better odds, and that opened up that unit for people of less points. More people apply for one unit has to mean less in another if it is true that less and less people are applying and hunting each year.

@JoltnJoe I'm listening live CPAW meeting now, they just mentioned that apps were up this year from last even with the requisite license purchase.
I heard that as well, but I'm not convinced it's accurate. At the April commission meeting it was stated that in round numbers, 2018 applications totaled 698K and 2019 applications totaled 590K. For those interested, 2017 was about 550K.

This is not a bash at GoHunt or other internet based tools used for drawing, I have used GoHunt for the last few years and love it, but I feel they contribute situations like this. You have a large group of people using these tools, looking at the same statistics you are. I feel it pushes more people to apply for the "slam dunk" units which then makes them no longer a slam dunk unit. I apply for the same deer unit every year, statistics are not very good for this unit and it has averaged 5 points for the last 4-5 years for Resident to draw. This year people with 3 points drew. I feel that some people sitting at 3-4 points shifted units to have better odds, and that opened up that unit for people of less points. More people apply for one unit has to mean less in another if it is true that less and less people are applying and hunting each year.

I think this is a good thing, at first blush anyway. Hopefully it means spreading people throughout the state more and giving the wildlife some room to breathe in more pressured areas. And if it confuses people and makes the draw a little more "random", that's probably ok too lol. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune if it ever bites me, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back