Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Clown Show - OYOA behind the scenes

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
The crew has heard the old stories of how train wrecks were more common at the beginning, but TV time constraints seemed to smooth the edges off what were "clown shows" in every sense of the term. The end result is me sitting down and telling the full story, the story that TV ended up cutting out.

I didn't think people would have any interest in this, but given the early results of this episode I should listen to the crew. This is an Alaska moose episode that just needed more than 22 minutes that TV allowed. And yeah, it didn't fit the TV model that everything is supposed to go as planned. So, we give a "Shop Story" version of it and loaded it on YouTube this morning.

Oh man gonna watch hopefully foul mouth Charlie is in it from Galena. Hahahaha
My Koyukuk tag wasn't as bad as y'alls experience but boy did it have it's challenging times also up there. Did get to see a giant of a moose some locals below us took 70" I'll never forget that.

Last edited:
Randy: Thanks for sharing these. We don't always watch you expecting perfection. For sure, none of us get perfection on all of our hunts. We have the same crappy things happen to us, we are just lucky enough to not be on camera.

Enjoyed the (re)telling of the whole story. It doesn't always feel like an adventure as it is happening, but it can become a treasured, tortured adventure later on.

I don’t have a YouTube account so can’t post or like on there. So am doing it here!! Make more of these!!

I just watches this, one of my new favorites. This is how things really go in the bush and how many of us experience hard earned hunts.

Good to see your humility and go with the flow approach. This is how you have to be in the north.

This is a reason I stopped watching tv hunting, either they are 100% better hunters or I just suck as it never goes as planned every time.
As long as you keep showing the real thing I will keep supporting you

I'm excited to watch this tonight!

After the thread about the OYOA narrator, I've gone back and watched the first couple of seasons. Back then and still today it is can't miss viewing for me, but I still laugh at how cheesy those re-enactments scenes of shots and stalks were in the early episodes. Be honest, how painful was it to put your acting skills on display @Big Fin ?

I enjoy these better than the polished perfect performances we all to often see from others in the outdoor industry.

Very entertaining and great storytelling! Can’t wait for more in this series

Between the lawn mowers, planes, boat motors, and a love sick (afraid?) cameraman, Fin did a pretty good job containing his latent Uncle Larryisms....Or maybe just good editing?

I'm excited to watch this tonight!

After the thread about the OYOA narrator, I've gone back and watched the first couple of seasons. Back then and still today it is can't miss viewing for me, but I still laugh at how cheesy those re-enactments scenes of shots and stalks were in the early episodes. Be honest, how painful was it to put your acting skills on display @Big Fin ?

Oh, we're working on some re-edits where I explain how I nearly came to a dissolution with the production company in Season 1 of OYOA, all over the demand for re-enactments. I hated re-enactments so bad. But, being new to the industry, I tried to be a good student who followed instruction of the experienced pros. After watching Season 1 air that following summer, I struck a deal with them that no more re-enactments, no matter what the industry standard was. I think there were a couple hunts in Season 2 where we didn't have the second camera rolling and we might have done a few from the side. After a while, I just refused to do them.

That put the production crew in a hard spot, as they were given production books that had those requirements. Yet, they had a "talent" that refused to do them. I told them to have the editors call me. I told them if it didn't meet the network production guidelines, that was on me and I'd deal with it.

That is just one of the many reasons I wasn't a good fit for TV. I'm not an actor. I'm a hunter with a story to tell. If people want to see acting, they'll watch Netflix. If they are willing to watch us, it's because they want a hunting story.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back