Choosing a revolver - what factors to consider?

Paul in Idaho

I'm thinking about buying my first revolver. It'll be a large caliber, since I already have a small-caliber handgun. It would be carried as a bear defense gun when I couldn't carry a rifle or shotgun. (I always carry pepper spray, I don't want to restart that debate.) I'll want to be able to carry it easily. I'm guessing a 4 to 6 inch barrel would be good, as I'd expect a longer one could get hung up on brush more.

What other factors do you think are important to consider? Brand, barrel length, cartridge capacity, grip type, metal finish, double/single action ... anything else?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Stainless revolvers are heavy. Titanium framed revolvers are very light. The increase in recoil is very real. That said, I'd still opt for the lighter gun that you will carry versus the heavy one you will not. Just don't shoot full house loads in them for practice.

Fit to your hand size,. Double action, weight vs carry-ability. You are going to shoot it a lot less than you carry it. I have a Taurus titanium in 357, which is great for anything up to CO-size bears, and I get 7 chances. Downside of it is durability, magnum loads take their toll on titanium. How are you w heavy handgun recoil? Shoot some all-steel and some lighter metal models in the caliber of your choice, which would start @ 41 mag IMO. I like 44 a little better than 41, because of ammo availability (inc reloading components). I have never read an accurate description of what it feels like to touch off a 24 oz revolver w fullhouse 44 mag bear loads. Memorable to say the least. Try before you buy. The Taurus Ribber grip mitigates some recoil. As JLS mentioned, you'll practice w reduced loads. Hopefully it will never be needed for its intended backup purpose.

Last edited:
Since you're in Idaho I'd recommend you go with .41 Mag or > but in a lightwt frame such as noted above. There's negligible difference between the .41 and .44 power and force wise but the .41 is a little easier to handle. 2.5" barrel is fine imo because if you need to shoot at a threat it'll be at close range. DA/SA is my choice to just pull and blast. I carry a Taurus in .41 Mag with 2.5" ported barrel Mod 415. All SS so its not light but its not absurdly heavy and I hit small water bottles easyly out to 25yds. Always keep it on your person; not on the pack. Extra 5 rounds on the belt too. I picked that up new/used in a gun shop for $245.00. It's used strictly for backpacking and hunting only. Since I've now relocated to AZ I'm looking for a Ruger LCRx in .357 Mag. Only 18ozs. and I only have to deal with blackies and crackies here and in NM. CO. UT.

Weight, length of barrel, recoil for quick follow up shots, make sure I can shoot it accurately. I carried a 44 mag SS revolver for a couple of years, I stopped that.

I like S&W revolvers and if you could find a 3 or 4" Smith & Wesson revolver in a 41 magnum that sure would be slick. I wouldn't get more than a 3 or 4 inch at the maximum length for the barrel. I know they are making revolvers in 10mm too which is just about the same ballistics as the 41 magnum. I would also stick with a double action revolver if you are going the revolver route. Just my opinion. Best of luck.

All I know is my favorite is when I take my .454 Casull out with a a buddy or dude who’s afraid of big guns. I load the first shot for me with .45LC and shoot it one handed to show them it’s not bad and for them to try. Of course the next one is a .454. The look on their face is priceless.

Yep, no chance of losing a magazine. I know guys that have.
I realize semi's are fairly reliable, but a DA revolver is my choice for dragging a handgun through the crap encountered while hunting. I pack a Ruger .357, but we only have Grizzlies around here on the golf course. I want one of the Taurus .41 Titaniums. Scarce. mtmuley

If your looking for double action there is only one brand in my eyes and that’s smith and wesson.

rugers Double actions are way too heavy.

The Rugged part of their sales pitch can be taken literally

if you want super light weight there is the scandium 329.

as soon as you brought up bear defense the thought should be...

1. How much can you practice with it. The 329 is going to be painful if not brutal with full power loads....you’ll have to practice with your carry ammo....at least a good bit.

2. Follow up shots. The 329 is going to climb towards the sky hard with each shot. Porting would help since the recoil comes strait back....but that’s going to make the light gun actually hurt your hand more.

3. Barrel length. 4” would be my minimum. 6” would get you maybe 10% more velocity and more sight radius.

4. Holsters. I’d be looking at that at the same time. Get an idea on how you are going to carry it and that will help you decide on weight/barrel length.

chest, belt, western style belt, cross draw. Lots of options and what’s right for you may not be right for the other person.

For what it’s worth I stopped taking Taurus firearms in the shop about 10 years ago...and I haven’t seen a reason to change that.

my pick...

722D2ADA-B77C-4DF8-A282-57A3DD242257.jpeg

Important part I left out.

once you settle on a gun grip shape will be big in controlling recoil and the pain that may come.

square butt vs round butt.
New smiths all come as round butt...but conversion to square butt grips are commonly made.

this will be personal choice and will be influenced by hand size, gun weight, and your gripping method.

I find round butts to be easier to conceal but they tend to climb more and impact the bottom joint of my thumb.

square butt or round to square conversion gives me more control and faster follow ups.

all of my hunting handguns wear square butt style grips.

all of my concealed carry wear round butts.

He wants a revolver. A good choice for woods carry in my opinion. mtmuley
I know he said revolver, and I gave a revolver option above. But when I saw the 41mag recommendations coming in I thought about my switch from my GP100 .357 to my SigP220 10Auto and have liked the change. Still DA/SA, more power with the right load, a little less recoil with the semi-action, flatter form on my side, easier mag reload, and a few extra bullets in the gun (a bunch extra if you go glock). But if you want .44magnum then revolver it is.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back