PEAX Equipment

Chili Colorado

Redman

My son turned 17 a week ago but wanted to celebrate today. He invited friends over and wanted Authentic Mexican food. I have some deer roasts from last year I need to use up. So I decided Chili Colorado would fill up a bunch of teenagers!
20230114_110350.jpg20230114_114442.jpg
16737220372912358849057179204686.jpg
It's a process but well worth the effort. I am no Hank Shaw but the ingredients were all from the Mexican store and my deer.

Do you run your sauce through a strainer or just blend it real good and forget it?
I have strained but do not anymore. Too much trouble versus the benefit.

If asking about the skin on the pods…Sometimes, but not that often, I will try to slip the peels from the pods after softening up in a pot with broth. Also labor intensiver depedning non the pods used. Usually I just blend the bejeezus out of the pods with the . Finished product it is hard to tell the peels are there.

Most often I break up the pod into pieces as place in the pot. And depending on what I want that day I toss out the seeds or many of them before tossing pods into the pot with chicken or beef stock to simmer and soften. Then in batches toss into blender till full smooth, and toss that into pot. I often make pretty massive batches of this sauce, and freeze some of the surplus to later turn into enchilada sauce, or taco meat seasoning, or good ole texas red chili as you did and season accordingly at the time of use.

I brown cubed meat, then toss the sauce, unseasoned, in with the meat and then season to taste with salt, oregano, garlic, diced onion, etc. very late in the cook I may add some ground cumin and always add some masa, premixed with a bit of the sauce to avoid lumps. That last step really puts it over the top flavorwise for me.

Last edited:
I have strained but do not anymore. Too much trouble versus the benefit.

If asking about the skin on the pods…Sometimes, but not that often, I will try to slip the peels from the pods after softening up in a pot with broth. Also labor intensiver depedning non the pods used. Usually I just blend the bejeezus out of the pods with the . Finished product it is hard to tell the peels are there.

Most often I break up the pod into pieces as place in the pot. And depending on what I want that day I toss out the seeds or many of them before tossing pods into the pot with chicken or beef stock to simmer and soften. Then in batches toss into blender till full smooth, and toss that into pot. I often make pretty massive batches of this sauce, and freeze some of the surplus to later turn into enchilada sauce, or taco meat seasoning, or good ole texas red chili as you did.

I brown meat cut i to cubes, then toss the sauce, unseasoned, in with the meat and then season to taste with salt, oregano, garlic, diced onion, etc. very late in the cook I may add some ground cumin and do add some masa, oremixed with a bit of the sauce to avoid lumps. That last step really puts it over the top flavorwise for me.
Your process is the same as mine. I think next time I won't waste the time and strain. I believe you could brown opossum meat unseasoned and cook it in the Chilli sauce and it would tast amazing!

My favorite thing to do with random elk, deer and antelope parts
Or what I call elkderlope when grabbing and mixing whatever from the freezer to create a big batch of cooked stew meat I then toss into a variety of dishes all at once while prepping hunt food.

Here is a batch of elkdersheeplope red chili, NM green chile, and stroganoff being whipped up recenty. Put in. vac sealed bags for one pot hunting meals

93970E90-370B-4D51-9219-3F080F93FE41.jpeg

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back