Chewed out a Fedex driver

schmalts

Was just sitting on the couch having Coffey and heard a truck drive off. The 1000.00 pair of binoculars was just dumped off next to my attached garage door because she could not waddle the extra 10 steps to the front door where I have a doorbell, and a security camera. The truck went to the end of the road and turned around so it gave me time to stand in the road and flag her down. I asked why she would drop it at the garage door instead of the extra 10 steps to the front door and ring the doorbell? She said sorry, i will do that next time. I told her no, you do it to every house you deliver to and stop being so lazy. Why am I pissed? maybe you do not know this but your fedex package INSURANCE will not cover theft from a porch pirate (garage pirate if they are as lazy as this driver) Yes, I ship a lot of stuff and for years was paying insurance thinking it covered theft, but the theft insurance is only if Fedex or any delivery company steals or loses it. Once it is delivered, and that is based on the word of the driver, you are on your own if it is stolen, or even delivered to the wrong place. That is why Amazon takes a picture of the package when dropped off, it shows they are no longer liable. I had a couple members here have packages stolen and unfortunately one was out of luck and another had a guy a block away find his spotting scope with the end of the box tore open and thrown out into his yard. So....if you have a driver that is too lazy to put an item at your door, or ring a doorbell, tell them to do so because if your package is stolen, insurance ends the moment the item is dumped on your property, insured or not. The porch pirate thing keeps getting worst so do not think you live in a safe area and it will not happen. Just a PSA

That sucks, helpless feeling when they get stolen I’m sure!

FYI (and perhaps you already know this), but FedEx reinstated the “signature required” option earlier this month. I ship a lot of high-value stuff (medical devices) for my business as well, and was doing pretty much only hold-for-pickup lately for the same reasons you’ve outlined.

I had a shotgun dropped at my door by Purolator delivery man. Like you, I happened to see the truck take off and was expecting a delivery. He was supposed to get a signature. There's been a big stink about that up here and another company lost their ability to ship guns and ammo. Very stupid. Especially with guns and ammo, the delivery guy should be taking photo of the recipient. Some gun runners selling to felons are simply leaving the drop house open to felons who answer the door (if courier even bothers to knock) and scratch something on the computer pad (which usually won't read it anyway). The courier drivers NEVER ask for ID. Not in my 69 years experience. About half the time Canada Post delivery requires ID. My mailman knows me so I don't expect him to ask for it.

I require a signature for anything I ship over 400 but my suppliers do not, so anything I get from them is subject to theft. I just wanted to make sure members here know that anything porch pirated is your loss, because the delivery companies will say it is your home owners loss and we all know the deductible is too high to use. It is just pure laziness not to ring a doorbell when dropping off a package. they do not need to wait, but damn, just ring the doorbell so you are aware something was dropped, and in some cases it triggers a doorbell camera.

That sucks, helpless feeling when they get stolen I’m sure!

FYI (and perhaps you already know this), but FedEx reinstated the “signature required” option earlier this month. I ship a lot of high-value stuff (medical devices) for my business as well, and was doing pretty much only hold-for-pickup lately for the same reasons you’ve outlined.
I think the covid scapegoat for over a year made these drivers a bit lazy to dump and run, even if a signature was required. Fedex was even charging for a signature and not getting it. Currently the best service I get is with UPS. USPS a second (but slow) and last is Fedex

I think the covid scapegoat for over a year made these drivers a bit lazy to dump and run, even if a signature was required. Fedex was even charging for a signature and not getting it. Currently the best service I get is with UPS. USPS a second (but slow) and last is Fedex

Couldn’t agree more. I pretty much resigned myself to just shipping hold-for-pickup to be safe, even though it’s a huge PITA (realize it’s not an option for you in a lot of instances).

seems every package I’ve received lately was completely beat up, holes in boxes, broken tape or straps. I pretty much photograph everything before opening just in case
I had a box delivered via fedex with one of the box end flaps completely torn off, and 8 out of 10 boxes of 9mm ammo and one of two Glock mags removed from the box. The label said 14 pounds and the box was around 4 pounds. That is what caused me to install a BLINK camera at my front door. FEDEX stole the items and delivered without a signature. I called the contracted delivery company that delivered it and called them out and THEY OFFERED TO PAY FOR THE MISSING ITEMS out his own pocket!!

I had a package delivered last winter, couldn't find it anywhere. Eventually found it on my car trailer, about 200' from the house. That was UPS.

Granted, the driveway was slick and he had to park on the road and walk up.

I do try to cut them some slack though. I think they work some long hours, and have fairly harsh penalties if they don't get their route done on time. I would say they are working harder than most adults in this country.

Good help was hard to find before the feds decided to accelerate the complete destruction of the economy. You did the right thing, and you ought to go a little farther and call. What you expect ought to be the policy, at minimum.

Last November, right before my late cow hunt, Midway had some 62gr IMI 5.56 at .43 a round. I went for the 1200 round brick. Total cost was close to $600. I told my wife about it as I was going to be gone when it was supposed to be delivered and she was working from home. Package came, no bell ring, no signature, just left on the doormat. To top that off Midway shipped in straight in it's original box with all the ammo info printed in big lettering the would have been clearly legible from the side walk which is only about 30 feet from my porch. When I got home and found out I called Midway and lost it over 1) not requiring a signature on ammo AND of that value and 2) Not at LEAST wrapping such a package in plain paper given the cost and nature of the package. Didn't seem like really gave a crap. :(

We’ve had three separate orders go missing (lost in transit) through FedEx in the last couple months. Also had a fairly expensive rug that my wife ordered show up more than a week late and completely trashed. It was torn halfway out of its packaging, frayed and dirty like a badger tried to burrow in it. Didn’t know about about porch thievery not being covered though. Thanks for the heads up @schmalts

Good for you , that’s just straight laziness and for what … to save a couple steps. I’m glad you had the opportunity to dress this person down and I’m glad you received your package without mishap !

Funny this came up today. I had a flyrod delivered and UPS left it on the driveway in front of the garage door. Luckily my wife did not back over it.

Our ups driver usually brings packages to our door. If he doesn’t have any stops on our road, there’s only 1 other house, he will drop packages at my office. We don’t get a lot of fed ex deliveries.

Last November, right before my late cow hunt, Midway had some 62gr IMI 5.56 at .43 a round. I went for the 1200 round brick. Total cost was close to $600. I told my wife about it as I was going to be gone when it was supposed to be delivered and she was working from home. Package came, no bell ring, no signature, just left on the doormat. To top that off Midway shipped in straight in it's original box with all the ammo info printed in big lettering the would have been clearly legible from the side walk which is only about 30 feet from my porch. When I got home and found out I called Midway and lost it over 1) not requiring a signature on ammo AND of that value and 2) Not at LEAST wrapping such a package in plain paper given the cost and nature of the package. Didn't seem like really gave a crap. :(
I bought about $250 worth of Nosler ammo recently from a different website, and when they delivered it they just left it out on my sidewalk. Same thing, packaged in original ammo box with the word "Nosler" in large letters. I was at work, but normally they go through the gate and leave it on my porch, even with my barking dog.

This reminds me when I sold a bunch of precious metal & sent it by
usps and it did not make the trip to the new owner. It wasn't fun refunding the $$ but the box was empty on the other end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back