Charter boat tipping guidelines?

Adam in Ohio

My wife and I will be traveling to Hawaii in a few weeks and will be going on a half day charter fishing trip with another couple. What is customary regarding tipping? Tip both the captain and mate? What percentage is reasonable? I have not been on a chartered trip before, so I'd like to have an idea from the more experienced among you. Thanks!

I’ve only done it in Costa Rica and tipped $100 and they were very happy but $100 goes a lot further in CR than Hawaii.

What about tipping?

We are in the service business and our goal is to exceed our customer’s expectations. If you feel your Captain and crew have done a good job for you on your fishing charter, tipping is always appreciated.

Similar to restaurants, tipping should be considered only when the service is good or exceptional. If the boat is clean, and in good condition, and the crew are courteous, friendly and place you in a position that gives the appearance you are about catch fish at any given moment should be your guide as opposed to the final result. We recommend tipping in the range of 15 to 20 percent of the charter rate if you feel the service received was appropriate.

Are you guys tipping the whole amount to the Captain and letting him pay his guys out, or are you tipping them all individually?

Thanks for all the great input! So, let's say you decide on a 20% tip (for example). Do you give half to each the captain and the mate or do you divide it differently?

Thanks for all the great input! So, let's say you decide on a 20% tip (for example). Do you give half to each the captain and the mate or do you divide it differently?
For me it depends. Is the captain a douche? Then I tip the deckhands. I tend to split it up give the deck hands who do the most work, the most tip. The captain isn't baiting hooks, washing the deck, rigging poles, filling the boat, etc. Few of them do anything besides show up and drive the boat and "pick" the spot to fish, which can be good or shitty... Tip accordingly, and YMMV. I've gone on some terrible charters and not tipped at all, been on some good charters and didn't catch fish, but the guys worked their tail off and I tipped accordingly.

I usually do 20-25% ~$100, but have done more if the fishing or experience was good. Just depends on the total cost of the trip and how overpriced it is vs the experience.

Assuming great service, I will tip the deckhand(s) 20%. If the captain is the owner, I will tip ~10%. If the captain is just a working stiff, I may give up to 20%.

All good advice from previous messages

On several 6 pack trips, we tipped an extra 1/6th share to the crew. Even short trips ain't cheap nowadays though.

Depends on the guys. Have gone as high as 30-35% to as low as 5%, Some gal in Hawaii was a complete witch and nothing on the boat worked, didn’t catch anything which I know is hit or miss, they really didn’t even try it seemed like, that was more in the 5% range but gave the deckhand some more

I find it sad that tipping has become so normal. Guy hires someone to do a job the job should pay a living wage, not rely on tips! Guide goes out of his way for you it is another matter. But that's not the way it is these days. I went on a hunt on a game farm and in the paper work they said we should tip a min $150. Well I paid for the hunt and my son felt like tipping. The guide did nothing I'd call special to be worth a tip! Tipping is expected regardless of the service given!

Coming out of Alaska, near Canada border, one time I stopped in a small resturant to eat. waitress spent the whole time complaining how the last customer didn't leave her a tip. Neither did I! I will admit though that there are times I'll tip but I guarantee you the server earned it!

Last edited:
My wife and I will be traveling to Hawaii in a few weeks and will be going on a half day charter fishing trip with another couple. What is customary regarding tipping? Tip both the captain and mate? What percentage is reasonable? I have not been on a chartered trip before, so I'd like to have an idea from the more experienced among you. Thanks!
Good on you for tipping! Too many tight wads.

FYI, you don’t get to keep your catch for the day in Hawaii. They might give you a small amount, if your lucky.

Good on you for tipping! Too many tight wads.

FYI, you don’t get to keep your catch for the day in Hawaii. They might give you a small amount, if your lucky.
What? That’s ridiculous.

Ya know if owner's really believe the guide's need a tip, they should build it in the price! Tipping someone to do the job they are paid to do as best they can is BS! This tipping business on fishing and hunting trips, in fact aanywhere is nothing more than the owner telling the guide if he want to make a living, do a better job but anymore that is not required as it seems most people feel obligated to tip the guide for doing the job he's paid to do in the first place!

I have fished in Hawaii many times and have always tipped 20%. However, it really should depend on how hard they work. Catching is not a guarantee but the work the crew puts in should be. On my last trip to Kauai the deck hand was worthless! He had AirPods in and didn’t talk to anybody. One guy caught a smaller tuna (25 lb range) and the deck hand actually pulled the tuna in by hand and didn’t even let the guy (share boat) real in the fish. The guy was so pissed he actually got out of the chair and put down the rod.

On the same trip, the captain worked his butt off to make sure everybody got a fish. He was super nice to my son and he (my son) caught 4 tuna. My son loved the experience and now wants to go deep sea fishing again. This was all due to the engagement and professionalism of the captain. Simply because of the captain, I tipped 20%.

On big island (Kona), I had the opposite experience, the captain never said anything but the deck hand was extremely engaging. We caught blue marlin. The deck hand changed the lures often and was very friendly. He was super jacked to hand line the leader to the fish. It was clear he liked what he was doing. Again we tipped 20%. They were both great trips for me but I would not hesitate to give less to nothing if they were both bad.

That said, knock on wood, every Hawaii trip I have been on has been good with at least on person being great. When both are engaged and loving what they are doing the trips are way more fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back