Caribou Gear Tarp

Cattlemen debating public lands

Kids work in orchards around here until they graduate and don't have to. Then they don't. It's that simple.

I recognize that it's not really public land transfer related, but kids going into ag just ain't a thing around here.

Obviously I can’t speak to around there, but being in “ag”, I have frequent interactions with the kids coming out of places like Texas A&M, and Colorado State, and they are bright motivated kids, so I can assure you that it is still a thing in a lot of places.

What's the difference in the end? You can't go into orchards, they're almost entirely deer fenced, and they spray enough chemicals to create a very sterile "environment" almost complete devoid of wildlife. I've argued that a suburban backyard is better for wildlife than an orchard. There at least there's the occasional bird nest or bees nest, a deer could walk through and nibble the roses.
Plenty of good bird hunting around those orchards. Same with waterfowl.

I know I should be able to calmly read a thread like that in order to better understand the opposing viewpoints argument... Unfortunately I about had an aneurism 5 posts in and had to close it. Maybe I'll give it another go next week.

I got a kick out of the idiot who said that the Government should be paying him instead of him paying grazing fees because he's such a stellar steward of the land. Gimmie a break. Must be from Wyoming.

It's funny to read it. In my area your about $150k-200k for raw ground. When "transfer" happens, all that land ain't going to be sitting in the green belt. I know a lot of ranchers. They are millionaires on paper, broke in cash. I know a lot of hay growers who are millionaires in cash. Hay sold to Saudi, and China brings in a lot more than grazing fees for cows.

And oil pays better than both.

Tabby mtn in Utah got bid over $40 million. By more than one bidder. That's a ton of grazing fees to challenge that.

Yeah, the BLM is a pain in the arse. Ask Randy how a CPA for a multinational is. Ranching would end in the West.

As one of the posters in that thread and a long history of looking at that site. Mark is a moron, the guy has a LONG history of being on the wrong side of a ton of topics. Problem is that there are more like him that agree with him, although I don't think those numbers are high.

Back