Carl Ross ... Let's hear it

You guys really want a story, huh.

Ok. After spending most of the day watching mule deer bucks chase does, and seeing a group of cows at range, I spotted an elk on a hillside a little beyond my comfortable shooting range. Setting up my spotter, I saw two smaller 5-6 points and a cow, and finally a glimse at a mature bull in the shadows. Not being a regular slayer of large elk, I was looking for anything in the 'mature' class and knew right away this one qualified.

I picked out a stalk and cut 400 yards or so, but when I got there and peaked out there were no elk to be seen. The lay of that area has a lot of little faces and folds, so I burned some daylight sneaking around to make sure they weren't just out of sight, but still I found no elk. Since snow had fallen that evening, I went looking for their tracks, and did manage to find them before too long.

Following the tracks up and down several gullies in the bottom, they eventually headed uphill into a brushier area, but to my fortune I always had the wind vs. the direction they were headed. Without too much light left, I came to an open area which I figured to be my best chance for the day. I found the two smaller bulls pretty quickly, but couldn't see any other elk from where I was at. After mulling it for a little bit, I exposed my position to elk I could see in order to gain a better vanatage. As luck would have it, they hadn't noticed me before I moved far enough to spot the larger elk off to the side, at around 250 yards. Right after I saw him, I went to set up my pack on a little rise to shoot from. I guess in my haste I rushed things, cause he took off just as I finished setting up. I managed four shots as he left the area, two of which I felt very good about, and I could see he was visibly hurt.

After waiting a few minutes to make sure he didn't pop up somewhere else in sight, I ran to pick up the track and hopefully find him. Lots of blood and fresh snow made him easy to follow, but pretty soon he had gone a lot farther than I had hoped. After going 400 or 500 yards, I caught up to him in the bottom of a drainage. He was alive, but couldn't seem to get to his feet. I had three shells left, period, and based on his position and the brush he was in, I put all three into his neck. He was still alive! Still couldn't get up, but would turn his head and look at me, then put it down for a while.

At this point I was at a loss for what to do. I had no shells and no backup weapons. On the plus side he didn't appear to be going anywhere, and while I hated to just wait him out, I couldn't think of another option that didn't risk myself getting gored by an antler. After a half hour, he was still alive, but did appear to be weakening further. I figured I had a long night ahead of me once he succumed, so I hiked out to my luckily pretty close truck to have some dinner. After eating, when I made it back to him, it was thankfully all over. Spent long enough taking pictures, cutting on him, and packing that night to frost a couple toes right up. Upon autopsy it turned out that the two shots I put into his shoulder had stopped in his onside shoulder, and never made it into the body cavity. Hence my retiring of A-Max's on elk.

That's an awesome bull Carl, congrats.
That sucks about the bullet failure.

Awesome bull, well worth a couple toes. I ran out of ammo on an antelope when I was 15, I now carry 20 rounds minimum at all times.

That is one heck of a bull! Congrats Carl. But your elk was gay. No broken points. You shot a gay elk. At least I know I shot a straight elk.

That's one for the wall no doubt - gay or not.

Upon autopsy it turned out that the two shots I put into his shoulder had stopped in his onside shoulder, and never made it into the body cavity. Hence my retiring of A-Max's on elk.

Great story to go with a great bull. Very sorry to hear about the bullet failure. I know you are into the infinite details of preparation and it must be frustrating to have bullet failure complicate a great moment such as that. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back