Caribou anyone?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Here is another Alaska video clip. On Your Own Caribou hunting in fall 2006.

It needs some refining, but since I went through the headache to convert and upload, I am posting it as is. Like all clips, it is hard to tell a ten day story in a seven minute clip.

Wish I had been on this hunt. Video partner Ryan, and his buddy Tracy, are the shooters.

I am thinking something like this may be a good August adventure this year. Just need more time, and most importantly, get the treasury dept. to sign off on the resolution. ;)

Dang, I thought you were inviting me on a caribou hunt.

Good stuff! Looks like they got into some quality bulls. It's a good thing they shot the ones they did with the tough weather.

3 dead caribou and no food....things that make you say hmmm. Big Fin, you can cut my tape any day. Superb job!!

Awesome clip Fin. When ever your ready I'll head up with you. I want to shoot a couple 'bou in a big way.

Refining? Are you kidding? That video was awesome!!! I can't wait to go. It's only 5 weeks until I introduce the lil Mrs to Alaska! I haven't been there since '95 and miss it dearly.

John,

You gonna make it up to the interior at all???

I wish I had the time. I'm taking the wife on a cruise of the inside passage and then renting an RV for 5 days. We'll be at the Russian River campground hopefully slaying the Reds and then taking a charter out of Homer for some Halibut.

I'm racking up the miles on my Alaska Airlines credit card, so maybe I can take a trip to the North Pole, next year. I'd love to see Fairbanks and the outskirts. I'm sure I'll be looking you up soon. If you're ever in or near Phoenix, give me a holler!

Love watching clips like that. It's videos like that that I can totally relate to. I think I'm with everyone else when I say it really makes me want to get up there and do a hunt like that! Thanks for takin' the time to put it together for all of us to see.

Bigfin-great footage!

BigFin:

Normally I don’t like home made hunting videos but yours is the exception! Nicely done with realistic footage of my side of the world!

I live right here in beautiful downtown Kotzebue and believe it or not you showed my house in the early footage of town! The cool thing is hunting season 08 is only 5 weeks away for us and I get to go out and bag some more bou and hopefully a moose again. Living up here we are allowed to shoot 15 caribou a day all year long! Now you have to ask what do you do with that many bou? I don’t know as I only shoot 2-3 a year but lots of folks are hunting for family members thus the large bag limit. I hope to keep my Moose streak alive this year and take another fatty. Last year I passed up on 3, 55-60 inch bulls. I know that sounds crazy but when you are 3+ miles from the boat a 55 inch bull looks like 2 days of back breaking work and less like a trophy and the small guys do taste better too!

Well thanks for the video and I hope to see some of you guys in Kotzebue this fall. Give me a call if you need anything!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com
907-442-3944

Bigfin-great footage!

BigFin:

Normally I don’t like home made hunting videos but yours is the exception! Nicely done with realistic footage of my side of the world!

I live right here in beautiful downtown Kotzebue and believe it or not you showed my house in the early footage of town! The cool thing is hunting season 08 is only 5 weeks away for us and I get to go out and bag some more bou and hopefully a moose again. Living up here we are allowed to shoot 15 caribou a day all year long! Now you have to ask what do you do with that many bou? I don’t know as I only shoot 2-3 a year but lots of folks are hunting for family members thus the large bag limit. I hope to keep my Moose streak alive this year and take another fatty. Last year I passed up on 3, 55-60 inch bulls. I know that sounds crazy but when you are 3+ miles from the boat a 55 inch bull looks like 2 days of back breaking work and less like a trophy and the small guys do taste better too!

Well thanks for the video and I hope to see some of you guys in Kotzebue this fall. Give me a call if you need anything!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
Kotzebue, Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com
907-442-3944

Attachments

• 105_0507.JPG
    105_0507.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Caribou bull 04.JPG
    Caribou bull 04.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 152
Walt:

Glad you think it is a realistic impression of your part of the world.

Thanks for the comments. Working on some more stuff to post, but too busy fishing right now.

Hope you get your moose again this year. Having packed a few of those critters, anything more than four hundred yards from a boat better be reaalll big!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back