Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2019 AK Caribou Hunt

Congrats and thanks for sharing. I did a similar hunt in the same country in 2010. This confirm, I gotta go back.

Congrats and thanks for sharing. I did a similar hunt in the same country in 2010. This confirm, I gotta go back.
Awesome...I hunted near the Salcha River in 2010, with a guy from Idaho that I met on this forum! He shot what is still the caribou with the nicest antlers I have seen taken in the 40 Mile country.

I don’t know if there is a prettier sight than a big, bull caribou working his way across the brilliant colored fall tundra! Congrats on your hunt and thanks for sharing your experience.

Congrats. It's an amazing place and the guys at 40Mile are top notch. Thanks for all your help.

Congrats. It's an amazing place and the guys at 40Mile are top notch. Thanks for all your help.
Glad to help out, and glad you guys had a great trip! Wish you would have seen a couple of grizzlies, but we didn't either. Saw a black wolf and a grey one, but no griz except for the flight in.

Great story. I can’t wait I get back there next Augustus bowhunt Caribou. The 40 mile area is great country

Can’t script it much better than that. Congrats!

Well done again. While it may seem redundant, those trips are always a blast. People hunt the same areas day after day for elk/deer in the L48, but wonder why a guy would go back to the same spot to hunt in AK? Success, same reason as them...

Well done again. While it may seem redundant, those trips are always a blast. People hunt the same areas day after day for elk/deer in the L48, but wonder why a guy would go back to the same spot to hunt in AK? Success, same reason as them...
Thanks Ivan. In all of the years I have flown with 40 Mile, I have only been to the same spot once! This year we tried a ridge that they hadn't used before 2019. Plenty of country still left to see, without being in the same spot. And my sisters in Anchorage like caribou more than moose, so that's easier on my back... :)

Nice hunt report, Michael. You always seem to get it done. Haven't been back since 2014, but will be doing a moose hunt next September down the Koyukuk.

Great story. What is that last pic of? Your storage unit?

Also, if this isn’t too forward, do you know where I could find prices for a fly in hunt like that? Probably not going to happen in the near future but be nice to plan a bit on the back burner.

Nice hunt report, Michael. You always seem to get it done. Haven't been back since 2014, but will be doing a moose hunt next September down the Koyukuk.
Thanks Knute! Lots of moose along the Koyukuk these days I am hearing, not the easiest country to pack one in tho... :)

Great story. What is that last pic of? Your storage unit?

Also, if this isn’t too forward, do you know where I could find prices for a fly in hunt like that? Probably not going to happen in the near future but be nice to plan a bit on the back burner.

Yea, I have a storage unit in Anchorage, keep all my AK hunting gear there except my rifle, trekking poles, and a couple of other items.

Transporter costs can vary widely based on what unit you're hunting, how far they have to fly, and other factors. If you shoot me a PM I would be glad to share some of my costs, understanding that they're specific to the type of hunt I do and the transporter that I use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back