Canyons of Life

JLS

It was good to be physically exhausted from hiking. I slept better last night than I have all week.

Middle daughter will be discharged in the morning. She said they adjusted some meds, added a couple, and have been working through some cognitive behavioral therapy strategies for managing her anxiety.

She sounded good. I hope she realizes it’s a lot more than just meds, and takes a different approach to life besides cramming every scary thought into the back of her mind.

Can’t wait to see her…

VikingsGuy

It was good to be physically exhausted from hiking. I slept better last night than I have all week.

Middle daughter will be discharged in the morning. She said they adjusted some meds, added a couple, and have been working through some cognitive behavioral therapy strategies for managing her anxiety.

She sounded good. I hope she realizes it’s a lot more than just meds, and takes a different approach to life besides cramming every scary thought into the back of her mind.

Can’t wait to see her…
CBT seems to help a lot of kids in this situation. My daughter seemed to blow it off at first, but then you saw some of the learnings popping up - kids often listen more than they admit on the surface.

Shortbowshot

I just found this!! Thank you so much for sharing. Sometimes when folks are willing to hang lights along the trail it makes all the difference for those who follow.
My wife and I adopted our oldest daughter at 2. She is now 16 with more labels and diagnosis than any kid should have.
I remember the day sitting in the doc's office when they explained what we could expect as she matured along with videos to prepare us. The long ride home with tears and silence.
Since that day there have been very few easy days but God has kept us and her healthy. We are living in it every day but things now are so much better than predicted.
Thank you for being willing to share your pain.
I will be praying for your family.

JLS

EDAFF3A0-9608-4A8E-91F4-902E358F779B.jpeg

Canyons are such an accurate metaphor of life. You climb. You sweat. You hurt. You wonder how long the struggle will last. You slip. You fall. You lay there and collect yourself. They are complex, and sometimes unforgiving.

We picked up our middle daughter thanksgiving morning. It was a wonderful day.

We talked late into the night. She is introspective (for a 19 year old) about all of this, and expressed the desire to find a psychiatrist to work with. She wants to find out what triggered this event.

It was a months long spiral. She wasn’t eating well and had lost weight. Not going to the gym. Stressed about work. Stressed about school. An eroding relationship with a long term boyfriend.

She recognized she doesn’t love herself, and that needs to change. She’s still thinking about taking a quarter off, but is worried she won’t go back to school if she does. Lots of decisions, but none are permanent.

I’m hopeful she’ll move forward with much better awareness of where she’s at mentally. She recognized she has PTSD from some stuff that happened about four years ago. Know thyself.

Sometimes parenting feels like flying…blindfolded.

Last edited:

2rocky

View attachment 252459

Canyons are such an accurate metaphor of life. You climb. You sweat. You hurt. You wonder how long the struggle will last. You slip. You fall. You lay there and collect yourself. They are complex, and sometimes unforgiving.

We picked up our middle daughter thanksgiving morning. It was a wonderful day.

We talked late into the night. She is introspective (for a 19 year old) about all of this, and expressed the desire to find a psychiatrist to work with. She want a to find out what triggered this event.

It was a months long spiral. She wasn’t eating well and had lost weight. Not going to the gym. Stressed about work. Stressed about school. An eroding relationship with a long term boyfriend.

She recognized she doesn’t love herself, and that needs to change. She’s still thinking about taking a quarter off, but is worried she won’t go back to school if she does. Lots of decisions, but none are permanent.

I’m hopeful she’ll move forward with much better awareness of where she’s at mentally. She recognized she has PTSD from some stuff that happened about four years ago. Know thyself.

Sometimes parenting feels like flying…blindfolded.
Glad you are talking. I’m also glad you are listening. I’m sure she is too.

Reactions: JLS

BirdManMike

I have experience with this ____ (fill in the blank). Not me, and not a spawn of mine, thank dog.

My mother-in-law moved in with us, 6 years past, when we were 35. Imagine that ____ (fill in the blank), youre mother-in-law, and a literal financial burden to boot, moving in with you and your wife - shes family, and better with us than on the street. Major Depression, along with Depression's best friend: Anxiety. I see this ____ (fill in the blank) literally EVERY day. She didnt beat it, but your daughter may yet. Its a dogdanged crap disease that I wouldnt wish on anyone.

This topic isnt about me, its about you -- so, point is: I think you, and she, are in, or at least heading to, a good place. Good luck, JLS. I think you are doing the best you can, and are doing a fine job.

Best wishes.

Reactions: JLS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knjax15